Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ACE Q&A Live! for January - Official Discussion Thread

@thomasblair @mhalashace I'm posting a question for the live stream just in case I can't make it today.

A while ago we were told something to the effect of 1/3 of a characters power would come from skill training, 1/3 from itemization, and 1/3 from abilities/discs or your "spec". Could you reiterate this design philosophy (I probably butchered it) and describe whether or not this is still accurate or if it has changed? Do you think the change to weapon/armor stats were too little, just right, or too much to maintain this balance? 

A few early examples from the changes are below:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Guild

What's wrong with damage bonuses on armor? As far as I remember, it was the entire concept, leather gave you the most damage, but no mitigation, when plate gave you no bamage and much mitigation, and mail was some average thing. With no damage on armor leather just sucks. Am I getting something wrong?

9 hours ago, Niennah said:

What's wrong with damage bonuses on armor? As far as I remember, it was the entire concept, leather gave you the most damage, but no mitigation, when plate gave you no bamage and much mitigation, and mail was some average thing. With no damage on armor leather just sucks. Am I getting something wrong?

They've gone through a few iterations of armor stats. If I remember correctly, it went something like..

For a long time they were aiming for balance - plate wouldn't be an inherently better armor than leather or mail, just different.

At first the only difference was mitigation types, e.g. leather had better elemental resists and plate had better physical, with mail in between. This didn't work out so well in practice, since physical damage is far more common than anything else, plate was the clear winner. The different resists got shuffled around a bit over time, at one point mail was actually the best - it had the ideal combo of physical+elemental, while plate was physical+organic and leather was elemental+organic.. with organic damage being nearly nonexistant (assassin didn't exist then). The balance never really worked out though IMO, there was always one combination of resists that was best, and it wasn't too practical to have an extra set of armor to swap to if you did get the rare opponent who countered your set of resists.

They experimented with giving mail and plate mobility debuffs (less runspeed, more costly dodges and sprint, things like that), but it was unpopular. For a while there we were all wearing leather if we could find boars to skin, otherwise no armor at all; movement is so essential in Crowfall, no one wanted to wear plate if it made you slow.

Then they took out the mobility penalties and added damage buffs to leather and mail instead. Leather still had 0 physical resists at this point, but the damage bonus could maybe make up for that; it was in the same ballpark as plate for once.

Lately they've been trying a different tack: they're okay with plate having better defenses than leather, but most classes need a minor discipline to equip it, and it costs more to make (although leather costs got raised recently, so.. who knows). This gives Knights a bit of a built-in defensive edge over Assassins, unless the Assassin goes out of his way to spec for heavier armor. Along with this came evening out the resists, so leather got some physical resist, just not as much as plate. I think the damage bonuses disappeared around the same time, and got replaced by different bonuses (+health IIRC?).

Not sure what their latest thinking is, I'd like to hear Blair chime in as well. But suffice to say the armor design philosophy and stats have always been in flux.

Edited by Avloren
clarification