Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Venark

Skinning vs Hide requirements on Armor

With the 5.4 crafting changes it now requires 450+ hide in order to have 1 attempt at a leather set. On my Skinning account my page 2 skinning is 100% 5 pipped on every skinning node, I am wearing skinning plate set and using a skinning flask. I am sitting at Plentiful Harvest 4 and killing as many boars at a time as I want in any pull (typically 3-4 to have the most efficiency on skinning before they despawn) and yet I'm only getting ~300 hide per 30 minutes of 100% uninterrupted skinning. This puts the time per leather set attempt at just about 1 hour for just the hide requirements. 1 hour per set, per person is a massive time sink and a huge pain in my mind. It was overlooked in the stream today and we were told to get harvesting gear.... I have that gear with the newest stat system and I am still not seeing a way to get much more than maybe 350 per 30 minutes, let alone enough green/blue+ hide to make the really good sets. 

Is anyone else seeing this issue and/or concerned with the values on this?

I worked to harvest leather for a bunch of testing, probably just over 2200 leather, about half of which was from cats. Volume of materials per harvest on these are low, but because they do spawn a bit faster than other nodes, the tempo is a bit faster. Pulling the mobs, gathering them up in 1 area to kill, you only get about 4-5 before you can't skin them all yourself before their corpse de-spawns (solo). It is much slower if you stagger them and grab 1 or 2 at a time as you spend a ton of time running to grab them up. If you harvest in a group, it is much quicker on killing but there is a lot more standing around and the output doesn't really scale up on these like it does for mother loads. The same goes for trees, no group scaling.

The number of leather required to make gear is significant and puts a lot of stress on early leather harvesting. Maybe this is good to get people out in the world, but because these are more dangerous activities where you are at lower health, the payoff should be much better. In the risk versus reward world, the current state of cat spawns is much more punishing than hacking down trees and the output should be better. Currently, the boars in the beach head are more efficient than the cats. Don't even get me started about the lack of durable hide spawns. 

I would recommend bumping up the output from cats by about 20%. I was really thinking 30% but some people may have an issue if we get closer to a 1/3 increase. I know a lot of this changes when you get adventure zones and you have more mobs but this is something to consider as you get to that point. 

13 minutes ago, Spawl said:

I would recommend bumping up the output from cats by about 20%. I was really thinking 30% but some people may have an issue if we get closer to a 1/3 increase. I know a lot of this changes when you get adventure zones and you have more mobs but this is something to consider as you get to that point. 

Instead of bumping the output, let's just reduce the requirements on the crafting bits.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

33 minutes ago, Destrin said:

Instead of bumping the output, let's just reduce the requirements on the crafting bits.

Well, this was the simplest, short-term answer. Boars are more productive, but there is only 1 spawn, so bringing those in line is also an issue. I just figured rather than changing the leather recipes, upping the output would be better.