Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/10/15 - The Knight Comes... With Music?

"Enough talk. Tell me of this man we are to kill. When we find him, you hold him down. I’ll pronounce him guilty and then run him through with my blade.

I am a Knight, after all."

Is Todd writing all of these? (I remember he said he had to revise the Forgemaster one). If he is, I'm sending an approving nod his way. 

Edited by psylent night

Interesting that the female knight has a different crest then her male counterpart. Griffin vs Eagle, gonna have to go look at the crests snap shot again. Also does this hint that our Crests will be on our armor and shields etc.

Good update. Great theme music!

Edit: The cryptic tree shows the Eagle as Hero and Griffin as Arkyn.

Edited by sagorian

02/10/15 - The Knight Comes... with Music? 
Feb10Banner2.jpg

- We're providing two concept images for this one.  As the Knight is not gender-locked,  we're showing both the male version, and the female counter-part.

Question:  How much customization will be possible with the character's  appearance ?

The male and female version of the knight have a family appearance (at least to my eye) and they might be cousins.  And both have jet black hair.  The Knight subforum is identified as "Noble." 

This closeness in appearance is not unlike the Templar, both redheads - the forum name of the Archetype indicates "Highborn." 

Are the humans therefore split into different subraces which are tied to Archetypes?  Are all Nobles limited to black hair?  Are all Highborn limited to red hair?

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

Wow seriously took me by surprise with the knight back story. Really dark how he has realised that nobility and honour are just justifications for murder but also that there is no point in turning away from a life which he has followed for so long.

Awesome story and awesome music just makes me want this game more.....you evil geniuses!

The knight's back story reminds me of Sandor Clegane, the Hound. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

New Theory

This archetype narrative, just like the Templar narrative, is hinting at a certain aspect of the Crowfall lore.   "I died fighting for my family, for a King that I barely remember. I won him a glorious stack of rocks on a hill that no longer exists."  He died for a King he barely remembers, and won a stack of rocks from a hill that no longer exists.  If you were too slow to connect this, I'll reword his sentence:  "I died for a player whose name I can't remember, and won a sack of rock materials from a hill in a Campaign that has already ended."

The hill that no longer exists is a heavy reference to the short lived Dying Worlds *Cue Grim Soundtrack*.  A King he barely remembers hints at the player not remembering the previous Campaign all that well, BUT this also means that our immortals in the lore, while resurrected over and over again each time they die, they do not retain an effective memory from the previous Campaign (It is almost as if they were reborn of mind when they enter a new Dying World).

"That seems to be my fate; I bleed for those of royal blood. And those of lower birth? I make them bleed for me.

Hell, it’s no different with the Gods – is it?"  I bleed for those of royal blood.  This hints at the player hierarchy in the game, either the hierarchy established by player warlords in the Dying Worlds, or the fealty in the EK (Dying Worlds would make more sense though, since we haven't heard a lot of interesting things from the EK).  Gods are no different, this hints at the God faction PvP Campaign ruleset (Chaos vs Neutral vs Order).

I believe you're a little off.

Like in Templar and Assassin, these bits are referring to their lives before they became immortal. They were born, lived, and thought they'd die for good on their particular world, which they thought was the only world. Their death and subsequent rebirth disabused them of this notion.

For some reasons yet unknown to us, the Gods chose them as champions and gave them new life on Their eternal battlefields. (notice different shoulder crests on male and female, Knights are not restricted to one god). He doesn't remember his original King because he has served so many since his first death. He doesn't remember the world of his birth because it died long ago and he's been an immortal now for too long.

We start the game as the rebirth of a mortal warrior. Lore-wise it makes great sense for why we start out with knowledge and skills a true neophyte wouldn't have. It also explains why we come back to life.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

- The in-game screenshot we're showing also gives a view of the environment that will be familiar to many of our ex-Shadowbane players

I for one love these Shadowbane easter eggs.  That burning city brings a (metaphorical) tear to my eye.  Keep up the good work!

rSHxVEY.gif

"That seems to be my fate; I bleed for those of royal blood. And those of lower birth? I make them bleed for me.   Hell, it’s no different with the Gods – is it?"  I bleed for those of royal blood.  This hints at the player hierarchy in the game, either the hierarchy established by player warlords in the Dying Worlds, or the fealty in the EK (Dying Worlds would make more sense though, since we haven't heard a lot of interesting things from the EK).  Gods are no different, this hints at the God faction PvP Campaign ruleset (Chaos vs Neutral vs Order).

Actually I think it is referential to the "Noble" race part of this Archetype combo.  Check out the Knight subforum name - "Noble Knight."

I started a thread to discuss here.

rSHxVEY.gif

Question:  How much customization will be possible with the character's  appearance ?

The male and female version of the knight have a family appearance (at least to my eye) and they might be cousins.  And both have jet black hair.  The Knight subforum is identified as "Noble." 

This closeness in appearance is not unlike the Templar, both redheads - the forum name of the Archetype indicates "Highborn." 

Are the humans therefore split into different subraces which are tied to Archetypes?  Are all Nobles limited to black hair?  Are all Highborn limited to red hair?

The customization can go a long way in the direction of a game, whether it's crests on armor or the color pallets.  What I'd say that information such as this alludes to is that there may not be a lot of customization of what your character looks like, yet there may be equipment appearances that you can align with your guild or whatnot.

Or, we're going to have green names and guilds over people's heads as with most other MMO's.

I'm hoping for the former.

I dunno - the archetype stories seem pretty stereotypical at this point.  I guess the general idea of an archetype has rolled over to their stories.  Disillusioned fighter, female running from marriage into war, prideful warrior etc.  Dorf with work obsession.

I'm reading the background stories for clues but other than that I'm tossing them out.  I almost wish they'd not have them at this point since the heavy handed stamp of "here is a caricature of a standard personality used a lot in made for TV movies" makes me want to avoid playing some of them.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

I really like the dark tone they are setting with these backstorys. Yeah he's a Knight but he's become disillusioned and all but apathetic. In other words, he's seen some stuff and its messed with his head.

Edited by pang

LOL maybe it is just me but I am hearing GoT in there, just faster..........  then again maybe I am just hearing what I want.  I like it though!

I like the screenshot a lot.  Now, since this game will go from nothing to being built all the way through destruction, will the buildings actually burn down in stages?

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Also just noticed that the Knights each have a different gods symbol on their armor. Nice to see they aren't, as an archetype, limited to one choice. Unless of course that's just artistic license on the artists part.

I think this could be one of the more important reveals from today. Some had been under the impression that Races (and therefore their locked archetypes) would be locked to a god. Centaurs to Valkyn, Humans to Hero, Stoneborn to Gaea. But now we see a Human apparently fighting for Arkyn, if her crest is not just for pretties. And I would assume (I know) that it is not.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.