Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Santovenia

Tome creation should be VIP only.

NO VIP no tome creation, that simple.

I'm sure tons of people will hate this idea, but it seems like there will be a ton of problems if anyone can just buy an account, and farm tomes at no cost forever.  I also like the way Eve does this, you can only start creating injectors (Tomes) once you reach a baseline amount of skill(s) points.

This is also working under the assumption that you will not be able to redeem tomes past a maximum amount of time, which would be the potential time for a player created on day 1. In other words, you can't buy tomes to level up skills ahead of the people that started with VIP on day 1.

Full disclosure: I have 5 years of VIP on two accounts (One for me, one for bro), so i'm definitely biased.

1 minute ago, Santovenia said:

NO VIP no tome creation, that simple.

I think this is fair to prevent farming of tomes on NON-VIP Accounts. 

3 minutes ago, Santovenia said:

I also like the way Eve does this, you can only start creating injectors (Tomes) once you reach a baseline amount of skill(s) points.

Tomes in Crowfall will be tree specific. So a crafting basics tome can only be used on crafting basics skills. That way you must level beyond the initial skill trees if you wish to create higher rank tomes. 

2 minutes ago, Santovenia said:

This is also working under the assumption that you will not be able to redeem tomes past a maximum amount of time, which would be the potential time for a player created on day 1. In other words, you can't buy tomes to level up skills ahead of the people that started with VIP on day 1.

@jtoddcoleman already stated there will be a rolling cap on maximum training so you can't go past maximum amount of time VIP training would grant from day 1 by using tomes. 

On 2/1/2018 at 3:49 PM, blazzen said:

@jtoddcoleman already stated there will be a rolling cap on maximum training so you can't go past maximum amount of time VIP training would grant from day 1 by using tomes. 

So I assume this means that skill tomes will be useless for day 1 accounts to consume because they are already at the top end of the cap.

Eat or be eaten

6 minutes ago, Omen said:

So I assume this means that skill tomes will be useless for day 1 accounts to consume because they are already at the top end of the cap.

Correct.

Its a catch up mechanic. Day 1 accounts have no catching up to do. 

On 2/1/2018 at 12:49 PM, blazzen said:

I think this is fair to prevent farming of tomes on NON-VIP Accounts. 

Tomes in Crowfall will be tree specific. So a crafting basics tome can only be used on crafting basics skills. That way you must level beyond the initial skill trees if you wish to create higher rank tomes. 

3 hours ago, blazzen said:

Correct.

Its a catch up mechanic. Day 1 accounts have no catching up to do. 

Have they clearly stated exactly what the caps/mechanics will be? I only remember some generalized comments but don't believe I've seen it "official" or added anywhere on the site.

Hard to believe that Day 1 users won't be able to take advantage of Tomes themselves. Could be account wide training total, basic category total (race/class/general), or more specific into Elves/Blacksmithing/Weapons or whatever.

Where someone that has played from Day 1 has focused on Crafting could obtain Harvesting Tomes and apply them but only to the point that was potential for a Day 1 Harvesting main.

With something like that, everyone could make use of Tomes and catching up if they want to focus on something new. Which would allow "Tome Farmer" accounts to obtain basic/early training Tomes which likely will be more abundant to then begin farming higher end Tomes for whatever value. Until they are able to create Tomes for whatever they wish. Obviously that would take some time and resources to do so.

Will be interesting to see what timers, limits, diminishing returns, account requirements and restrictions are put in place to keep Tomes in line. Seems to be a potential money maker for ACE and even players through 3rd parties. Also don't see how new players will actually be able to obtain Tomes easily enough to "catch up," especially if older accounts can make use of them as well.

VIP being attached to this would increase value but also be seen as a form of "P2W" as people would be paying for basically a form of currency in-game.

Just one of many things that could use some easy to find official updated info...even if it isn't 100% accurate for launch.

With VIP being a tradable token, it's not going to stop dedicated players from running VIP ALT's.  Someone will pay in VIP tokens for something a player that active has to offer.

15$ is chicken feed to someone who wants to twink out a character in green or better gear on day one, or get their hands on an end game vessel.

1 hour ago, APE said:

Also don't see how new players will actually be able to obtain Tomes easily enough to "catch up," especially if older accounts can make use of them as well.

New players would be better served if they just bought a day one account, then to mess with this mechanic. I foresee this mechanic used more by day one players with 2 or more accounts to get even farther ahead of the curve by boosting multiple skill lines while training in others. I could see early accounts selling for 500USD if the game takes off. 

They just gotta make it that u cant use a tomb if you have accumulated x amount of points where X is the maximum number of points somone can accumulate day on of server up

Veeshan Midst of UXA

3 hours ago, veeshan said:

They just gotta make it that u cant use a tomb if you have accumulated x amount of points where X is the maximum number of points somone can accumulate day on of server up

That would give me incentive to sell them after my accounts were capped, however long that will take. I could see a 1 month skill tome costing a couple VIP tokens.

4 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

That would give me incentive to sell them after my accounts were capped, however long that will take. I could see a 1 month skill tome costing a couple VIP tokens.

you will have people who have VIP in multipul accounts just to see the Tombs to people aswell tbh for Gold or what not cause they have the spare RL life money

Veeshan Midst of UXA

6 hours ago, mystafyi said:

6 hours ago, veeshan said:

you will have people who have VIP in multipul accounts just to see the Tombs to people aswell tbh for Gold or what not cause they have the spare RL life money

It's called an economy.  The moment ACE decided to let VIP be a tradeable commodity, everything attached to it got connected to RL money. 

BUT

The important thing is the shallow power curves and interdependence relationships designed into the professions. 

Sure you can probably sell a 'Crafting Basics' tome, and the subsequent recipes for someone who wants to jump start into a crafting profession for VIP/RL money, assuming ACE doesn't have a similar route to the same thing eventually,  but that is not going to establish the person as a viable "crafter".  That will take finagiling into the already occupied marketplace. 

Sure someone could spend real money on a bunch of combat tomes, push way into class levels, and buy an incredible vessel with the best gear.  They will still suck in a group combat situation where they have not practiced team coordination.  

Winning is not a solo activity, and working together will be of a higher priority than vessel skills and stats.  Arrogant but useless $$$ twink players will probably find themselves isolated, or jumping from group to group and they clash socially.

I know the idea of it rubs a few of us achievers the wrong way who are used to the MMO paradigm of high level = ultimate power.  The fact is achievements alone will not win you worlds, and missing those achievements won't make you lose them.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken