Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cf And The Livestreaming/you Tube Question

I'm curious how streamable CF will be, and wonder what folks who have played these sorts of games think about some potential problem areas...

The concern is this: the people I've spoken with so far say, "live-streaming won't work with CF because it would give away your guild's activities/strategies". 

So, with that issue in mind, what are the best ways for players to create live-streams and you tube channels for their CF game play? 

It's something I would like to do, but worry that a lot of the different styles of video would run counter to the guild/siege system that is hardwired into the game (i.e. the videos would make a guild too transparent).

I know it's possible to make heavily edited highlight videos after a siege or battle, but after-the-fact, edited videos aren't that interesting to me. I'm interested in more immersive, long form videos...but again, worry that too much information would sink a group.

So, people who have played these sorts of games: are there ways to make vids that do not give away too much strategy, info? ones that are not heavily edited, highlight based?

i also think a strong video/livestreaming culture in the game would help spread awareness about it, but everything i hear indicates that this wouldn't really work given the nature of guild activity.

you need to setup your recording devices aproprietly...

which means: record with 3 audio channels

- game sound

- incoming sound (vent/ts/mumble)

- outgoing sound (your mic)

this way you can edit the channels seperately and cut out anything you don't want others to hear in the video.

I don't see live-streaming to be thing tbh.´Unless you're going around in a raiding group and want to be found.

but 1 thing you should be aware of when you record in a PvP MMO:

EVERYBODY and his mother will call you bad. your likes/dislikes on a video will be 50/50 only of you're lucky.

we don't support our video makers ;)

maybe once you're known to put out quality stuff, otherwise be prepared to get demoralized :D

I think streamers will need to be choosy when they go "live." 

i'm having trouble thinking of how livestreams could really work, didn't know if folks out there have found creative solutions. i'm definitely not interested in after-the-fact highlight videos...yet can't think of other solutions. livestreaming could help build some interest, yet i can't see a way it would really be possible.

How you go about live streaming is the hard choice you have to make.

The choices being:

You choose to stream and don't care if people know where you are etc.

You choose to stream, but only during times that 'don't matter' if people know where you are / you don't care.

You stream but with a heavy delay, probably losing that close streamer to viewer relationship (or at least dampening it)

I for one will either stream or yt, or both. Probably going with the second choice

Edited by WonderBread

How you go about live streaming is the hard choice you have to make.

The choices being:

You choose to stream and don't care if people know where you are etc.

You choose to stream, but only during times that 'don't matter' if people know where you are / you don't care.

You stream but with a heavy delay, probably losing that close streamer to viewer relationship (or at least dampening it)

I for one will either stream or yt, or both. Probably going with the second choice

i think this is right. i would probably go for the delay, but have the same worry...and i'm assuming my guild peeps would be pretty uncomfortable with that even, for good reasons. 

You would need like a 5 minute delay on your stream which makes interacting with your viewers very hard. LOL streamers stream with 1-2 minute delay and just don't answer many questions during the game. They just narrate what they are doing and what strategy they are using....it seems to work. But that is a 30-50 minute match.

In Eve if you stream with no delay you will be stream sniped in about 30 minutes and it can take that long to find a fight. I think recording could work only in a VoD type basis for Crowfall. Recording and then editing your footage much like FrankieonPC does with Dayz and other things. 

Edit:grammer it's early

Edited by JokeassJason

A game like this won't have a lot of viewers (at least in Livestream).

Since the game is long term based strategy, people will get bored about seeing a guy just preparing for war.

The first days/weeks it might have a lot of viewers, but at the end It will be like GW2, just 200 hundred viewers for more than 20 streamers.

Youtube videos on the other hand might be better, since people can jump around the video looking for what they want to see.

Livestreams also can custard you in game, if your guild/group is planning in conquer/attack some place and you are thinking in a good strategy, trying to surround your enemies, etc, then streams are really bad.

I think the best content for this game will be  siege/gvg videos, tutorials (character builds, how to gank people, how to build a good city, how to defend/attack/conquer, crafting tutorial, etc) and highlight videos, probably some this archetype is better than this archetype kind video too.

I mean streaming with base delay is still possible. It's all about what you want as the streamer. If I'm looking for fights then it doesn't matter. If I'm going to a place not well known that my clan and I found for farming good 'bow resources', then I don't think I'd choose to stream that. Hell, you could even anti-stream snipe. If you setup VOIP on a separate channel, and then just baited a group of players to you, you could actually have you're friends close by / in hiding. GG

^ To the post above, I think even small scale / solo play could be / is entertaining to watch. I'll probably spend most of my time roaming in a small group anyways. It's all about what you choose to stream. If I'm hitting rocks, why should I stream? I guess to talk to people but I'd rather do that kind of thing off stream.

Edited by WonderBread

A game like this won't have a lot of viewers (at least in Livestream).

Since the game is long term based strategy, people will get bored about seeing a guy just preparing for war.

The first days/weeks it might have a lot of viewers, but at the end It will be like GW2, just 200 hundred viewers for more than 20 streamers.

Youtube videos on the other hand might be better, since people can jump around the video looking for what they want to see.

Livestreams also can cute you in game, if your guild/group is planning in conquer/attack some place and you are thinking in a good strategy, trying to surround your enemies, etc, then streams are really bad.

I think the best content for this game will be  siege/gvg videos, tutorials (character builds, how to gank people, how to build a good city, how to defend/attack/conquer, crafting tutorial, etc) and highlight videos, probably some this archetype is better than this archetype kind video too.

a tutorial, character build angle: that's a good point. i don't think it's my strong suit, but i think there would be interest in this.

The problem with small scale/solo play fights is that it will end up boring people.

I mean, how much time will people watch some group just ganking other small groups?

LoL, Hearthstone, Evolve, Dota2, CS:GO, WoT, H1Z1, Fifa, Minecraft, WoW, Runescape and Destiny.

Those are the games with more viewers right now in Twitch, almost all those games have something in common, either are MOBAs/Strategy game with low time matches (10-60min), other option is that they are new games (Evolve and H1Z1) or their playerbase is really huge(Minecraft, Runescape, Destiny, WoW).

Probably some of those games are there too because people and not because the game itself, someone who has a lot of followers and play a lot of games, so that people make games to popup in the most viewer games.

As some people said, maybe the short time campaigns will be streamable, still with a lot of delay. Maybe if they do Permadeath Campaigns that last 2 days(1 weekend) people would see that to see how people survive in those hostile enviroments.