Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
touchmybow

Problem solved.

I had a problem and wasn't given soft targeting enough credit (I still think its awful).

Edited by touchmybow
solved the problem on my own (after failing originally)

Since most powers arent projectiles (I forgot the name of this type of hit scan) i think we can rule out the "fire at my  line of fire". I think it is more like: *Fire*, check if we hit a target, shoot at that target (Center?).

I would say the squary hit boxes are to blame though. I dont know if they made them smaller like what was asked some time ago but i dont think they will make them body fitting in the future either.

I was going to say the shot above shouldnt ever hit the first dummy but then i remembered you are throwing fireballs. If you consider the fireball volume is hitting the wrong dummy really that unreasonable? I ask because i have no idea how big those fireballs are.

PS: If You want to ping someone just put @ followed by his name (Without space between: @touchmybow ). About who you could mention i am not sure. Does anyone know who the combat guy is? Crafting is Blair, mechanics is Todd, help is Tyrant, forum stuff is Pann. I think Halash deals with some combat stuff but not sure how much...

Edited by BarriaKarl

5 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I would say the squary hit boxes are to blame though.

I'm willing to accept a less than perfect target shape (I'm reluctant to call it a hitbox, since it doesn't meet my expectations for a hitbox), but my problem is that I'm able to target the edge of the 2nd dummy, but my shot fails and targets the first dummy because of what I believe to be an oversimplified collision detection due to the limitations of the programming behind action mmo targeting.

13 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I was going to say the shot above shouldnt ever hit the first dummy but then i remembered you are throwing fireballs. If you consider the fireball volume is hitting the wrong dummy really that unreasonable? I ask because i have no idea how big those fireballs are.

I considered this while testing. And after someone brought it up I even got back in game to get an even closer look. I'm pretty sure that not only is there no volume in the test shot, but even if there was it is not what is causing my shot to fail, and in fact its because the simplicity of action mmo targeting simply isn't capable of knowing where I'm targeting the target and thus will test collision using the center point of the target rather than the point at which my crosshair is pointing at.

27 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

PS: If You want to ping someone just put @ followed by his name (Without space between: @touchmybow ). About who you could mention i am not sure. Does anyone know who the combat guy is? Crafting is Blair, mechanics is Todd, help is Tyrant, forum stuff is Pann. I think Halash deals with some combat stuff but not sure how much...

hmm that's strange, I tried that last week and it didn't work. Maybe because I tried it in an edit and thus didn't trigger the ping system? probably.

All characters in Crowfall have a capsule shape for "hitboxes". So it is a cylinder with rounded faces on top and bottom. Most attacks are ray-cast. A ray is drawn from your character to the crosshairs. If the ray hits something on its way from you to its MAX_RANGE it registers.

Obsidian-ForumSigWhite.jpg

28 minutes ago, Jodh said:

All characters in Crowfall have a capsule shape for "hitboxes". So it is a cylinder with rounded faces on top and bottom. Most attacks are ray-cast. A ray is drawn from your character to the crosshairs. If the ray hits something on its way from you to its MAX_RANGE it registers.

I'm pretty disappointed by the system. Same goes for all mmos without proper projectiles.

You are saying this now but crowfall used projectiles for everything when they began and it sucked because it needs more calculations, it has interactions with world physics. In large battles it causes desyncs etc. Trust me ray cast is a better alternative. It is more practical. It think bows and arrows, gaias wail from the druids etc still use projectiles. I suggest test on bow and arrows and see for yourself. 

Obsidian-ForumSigWhite.jpg

42 minutes ago, Jodh said:

You are saying this now but crowfall used projectiles for everything when they began and it sucked because it needs more calculations, it has interactions with world physics. In large battles it causes desyncs etc. Trust me ray cast is a better alternative. It is more practical. It think bows and arrows, gaias wail from the druids etc still use projectiles. I suggest test on bow and arrows and see for yourself. 

Nah man its possible I saw it in darkfall.