Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KittyBot

Soulgems and Gems

I discovered this yesterday but I am unable to use Soul-gems to make cut gems. I don't get it why aren't gems found from ores able to be used in jewel crafting?

The ingredient is simply called a "Rough Gem", so why cant I use "Rough Soulgem"s? I mean I can polish these but then's what the point?

You need to harvest Motherloads to get gems to make jewelry.  Soul gems will be used for the upcoming Capture Thrall system to make disciplines or your own thralls.

Official Moderator of the Unofficial Crowfall Discord!  Come join the discussion @ https://discord.me/crowfall

Yup Soulgems are like Poke Balls(needed for catching thralls, which of course everyone is going to want for disciplines), and not like jewelry gems (needed for rings/necklaces). I like Thevo's idea of reducing any chance of confusion via a name change.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Personally I think the jewellery crafting gems should be moved into the stone nodes to make the harvesting skills a bit more balanced. Currently you have cutting grit, gems and soulgems all coming out of the metal nodes and very little coming out of stone

Gems are more likely to be found in stone type nodes rather than ores in the real world too :)

uGlR0Ph.png

10 hours ago, Arkade said:

Phylactery

Phylactery is a tiny book with scriptures or prayers written or printed on it. It's usually worn inside one's clothing and the print is usually too small to read, like the wearer might get holiness by diffusion. Students trying to cram all night, then sleeping on their books after an hour remind me of this. 

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

4 hours ago, Badwolfe said:

Personally I think the jewellery crafting gems should be moved into the stone nodes to make the harvesting skills a bit more balanced. Currently you have cutting grit, gems and soulgems all coming out of the metal nodes and very little coming out of stone

Gems are more likely to be found in stone type nodes rather than ores in the real world too :)

Actually, the things that come out of Stone are more important and foundational than the things coming out of mining and the ore nodes, it's just that Vessel are not in yet, so it is not as obvious. Once they are, you will value your stone harvester more than your ore minor, when it comes to Vessels. :)

That said, I would support having Soul Gems added to the loot tables of Stone Motherlodes, so they are accessible to those who specialize in either Mining or Quarrying. I think that would be a very good change.

10 hours ago, chancellor said:

Phylactery is a tiny book with scriptures or prayers written or printed on it. It's usually worn inside one's clothing and the print is usually too small to read, like the wearer might get holiness by diffusion. Students trying to cram all night, then sleeping on their books after an hour remind me of this. 

That isn't the only definition for it. The term is commonly used in D&D related novels, at least the ones that are written by RA Salvatore. They are used in those novels specifically to hold souls. 

20 hours ago, Anthrage said:

Actually, the things that come out of Stone are more important and foundational than the things coming out of mining and the ore nodes, it's just that Vessel are not in yet, so it is not as obvious. Once they are, you will value your stone harvester more than your ore minor, when it comes to Vessels. :)

That said, I would support having Soul Gems added to the loot tables of Stone Motherlodes, so they are accessible to those who specialize in either Mining or Quarrying. I think that would be a very good change.

The thing though Anthrage is that I believe minerals only come out of stone motherlodes like gems only come out of ore motherlodes. I don't believe there is anything that comes out of the normal nodes for stone where as both soulgems and cutting grit can be mined by a solo harvester from ore. To obtain a balance they either need to add two useful items to normal stone nodes or they need to take either cutting grit or soulgems out of small ore deposits and put them into small stone deposits. That way both mining and quarrying have both a solo and group harvesting reward. As it currently stands mining is far more useful than quarrying.

Personally I think the soulgems should be moved into the small stone nodes. That way mining covers jewellery crafting (gems & cutting grit) and quarrying covers necromancy / thralls (minerals & soulgems)

Edited by Badwolfe

uGlR0Ph.png

3 hours ago, Badwolfe said:

The thing though Anthrage is that I believe minerals only come out of stone motherlodes like gems only come out of ore motherlodes. I don't believe there is anything that comes out of the normal nodes for stone where as both soulgems and cutting grit can be mined by a solo harvester from ore. To obtain a balance they either need to add two useful items to normal stone nodes or they need to take either cutting grit or soulgems out of small ore deposits and put them into small stone deposits. That way both mining and quarrying have both a solo and group harvesting reward. As it currently stands mining is far more useful than quarrying.

Personally I think the soulgems should be moved into the small stone nodes. That way mining covers jewellery crafting (gems & cutting grit) and quarrying covers necromancy / thralls (minerals & soulgems)

You are absolutely correct, and this is something they could and should do very easily I would think. Moving soulgems - and renaming them - does indeed make the most sense.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:10 AM, Anthrage said:

Good idea!

In keeping with the specialization for harvesting theme I think it would be cool to have a certain type of jewelry stone associated with each ore and stone motherlode for gems, and a specific semi-precious stone associated with each ore and stone motherlode for soul gems. This would also cut out the confusion by naming each type of gem collected, putting its use in parentheses after the name. eg. Pearl (tier 5 Soul Gem), or Star Sapphire (tier 6 jewelry gem). The tier of gem drops could work just like ore or stone quality for how they drop, but a gemcutter should be able to improve or ruin either type, based on his skill, stat, and rng.

Edited by chancellor
changed "precious" to Blair's more tecnical "jewelry gems"

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Cut out the middle man and just call it a "Soul Trap" so its function is easily understandable to people that didn't play morrowind. And then just fluff up the flavor text to explain its appearance.

"While appearing to the untrained eye indistinguishable from mundane gemstones, the trace of The Hunger that radiates from these objects is immediately identifiable to those touched by the Gods. Though it is unknown who began the practice it has become common place among Crows to harness this piece of The Hunger's essence to trap wandering spirits. These spirits may then be transported, subjugated, or even consumed by the owner to bend the sum of their life experiences to his will.

The Gods remain silent regarding this practice, neither explicitly approving nor denouncing it."

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

On 2/7/2018 at 8:10 AM, Weebles said:

You need to harvest Motherloads to get gems to make jewelry.  Soul gems will be used for the upcoming Capture Thrall system to make disciplines or your own thralls.

So am I understanding correctly that solo'ers can't gather the mats needed to do jewelcrafting?  

The whole concept of group gathering/crafting is just so weird to me.  Typically I harvest/craft when I just want to chill at my own pace or do my own thing and group up when I want to explore/fight.  

56 minutes ago, dawgs4ever said:

So am I understanding correctly that solo'ers can't gather the mats needed to do jewelcrafting?  

The whole concept of group gathering/crafting is just so weird to me.  Typically I harvest/craft when I just want to chill at my own pace or do my own thing and group up when I want to explore/fight.  

You can do motherlodes with 2 players up to R6 with OK tools, R8 with great tools (50-60 mining/quarry) otherwise you need 3 for R9-10.   Game design is not about solo at all...  everything CF has ever said is that solo will be harder to do.

6FUI4Mk.jpg

Sugoi - Senpai

14 hours ago, dawgs4ever said:

Typically I harvest/craft when I just want to chill at my own pace or do my own thing and group up when I want to explore/fight.  

I'm the same way on this, harvesting would be my solo activity when friends aren't around. So the gems/minerals motherlode restriction doesn't make any sense to me either. It may turn out to be an economic problem with vessels and jewelry being too rare, we'll see how it plays out I guess.

tiPrpwh.png

On 3/30/2018 at 12:06 PM, Frykka said:

You can do motherlodes with 2 players up to R6 with OK tools, R8 with great tools (50-60 mining/quarry) otherwise you need 3 for R9-10.   Game design is not about solo at all...  everything CF has ever said is that solo will be harder to do.

Yeah, I wasn't really complaining.  Just making a note.  I'll have to find some folks to group up to harvest with or just focus on crafting and buy from gatherers.