Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Squidbillies

Why I am extremely dissapointed (waste of money)

You kept saying that you "get it" on it being a pre-alpha, but no you don't.  You point out all the things the game doesn't have yet and they say just call it beta.  It's not called beta because the game doesn't have those things yet.  This isn't like Steam early access where a game should have the core system in place and you get to experience the refinement.  Pre-alpha means that the core systems are still being developed and aren't in at all.  Once the core systems are all in the game at some level, the game will likely go from pre-alpha to alpha.  At that point the systems and their interaction will be refined. 

Later on in the alpha stage when more aspects are considered nailed down and not changing they'll start implementing some more quality of life features for new players.  You have to have the core down before you can really put much effort into the new player experience so you're not doing double work on changing new player experience to match changes to different aspects of the game.

Once the game is mostly developed and gone through several passes of refinement, then the game will enter beta.  Beta means the game is mostly done and is for bug fixes and balancing.

From your post it was clear that you were looking for a beta and this game is not there yet.  You were unhappy about starting with a new vessel on different worlds, how are you going to react when they wipe skills?  That's going to happen at least several more times before soft launch, and then definitely one last time at soft launch.  My advice to you is to delete the game and come back when they announce beta.

Also, why in the world would you run a file from within a zip file?  Zip files are for bundling files together and compressing them for the purposes for transferring them.  You need to unzip the installer to a Crowfall folder somewhere, like you would need to do with any other program that comes in a zip file.

Decided to buy it, knowing it is "pre-alpha" (whatever the custard that means)

thinking it will at least be playable and properly developed

NOPE. The moment I bought the game they were just like thanks for the money! I'm like wtf wheres the game.

72c.jpg

wow.

development cycle:

internal testing - pre-alpha - alpha - beta - open beta (sometimes they skip this) - headstart - soft release (also optional sometimes referred to as extended beta) - release

Edited by jetah

I bought this game during the original Kickstater. I know what a pre-alpha is and I have no interest in playing in one, so quite simply, I have never once played this game nor watched pre alpha footage, and I am fine with that. I don't have the time or interest in knowing what this game `was` or `might have become`. I am only interested in what this game will BE, so I will lay off until the game is at least in a fairly set late alpha or early beta state (certainly not pre alpha). What I would see now is not a fair representation of what the final product will be. I only sometimes check up on news for the game to make sure that development is progressing at a reasonable rate (which seems to be the case). I think more people need to realize that having access to a pre-alpha doesn't necessarily mean you should be in it. If on the other hand devoting time and energy into the testing, development and transformation of a buggy, slow, unpolished, unfinished game is your cup of tea, power too you and thanks for contributing to the development of a better game for myself and others like me for when we do eventually decide to play.

Edited by Vell

@Vell I understand that pov. I usually join early games just to see how the systems work. Right now you can get in and go over the skill trees and semi-plan your route. it's also good to get an idea on how to get basic gear and see how quickly you can obtain it.

As a Newb, I'm here to experience something new and daring in mmos today; where a crafter is vital and important to the success of a Campaign. There may be a few quirks along the way, but I'm excited about the experience of so many creative minds gathered together. Crowfall enriches the greatness of the past, forges a path ahead and melds it into something Exciting yet comfortable and fresh. Considering it's still being developed. It's what draws me. 

Don't Forget---Be Kind to Each Other.
#yolo

Well the late 90`s gave me migraine related to old game system like UO. 

I think I need to riot here on the forum again for the second time - and create an org. with No to harvesting!! posters - and to promote more PvP friendly game mechanics in CF before game is fully implemented! :)

10 hours ago, Squidbillies said:

Thanks for all your responses guys. I had fun reading them

I was tempted to to send you 50$ - I had a good laugh, but I agree it has been a frustrating process for a while. Yes, gathering, harvesting, crafting, and finally we can PvP tuck on the end of the stick is not a good formula until we die, and you need more items & resources and less focus on PvP and combat.

In my humble opinion - it should be a mix with items that drops from creatures like Vorgrim in SB, and hand crafted items for example. Why should crafters dominate the open market with items, and no other sources for armor & weapons and other items.

No doubts it will be a rough ride for those who mainly play this game who enjoy to focus on the PvP aspect of the game. 

Edited by mythx

The mood of this thread is quite worrying in places. Yes the guy approached his post the wrong way and yes as I said in my first post there was a lot of things he could have done to make his first experience of CF a lot easier but come on is there really all this need for quite drastic hostility in places.

Its starting to become a worrying trend on these forums how some people are resorting to quite abrasive personal attacks when they read something they don't agree with.

The last thing we need is for these forums to start giving new people visiting them the impression that the CF community is a rather toxic group of people. There's quite a large space game out there that has a community that is well known for doing just this and it has no doubt put off some people from participating or even trying the game. 

We are all here to support the game and help it succeed and that includes showing courtesy to those who may annoy us. At the end of the day these people are prospective players of the game and may in time learn to contribute in a more constructive manner themselves.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, Badwolfe said:

The mood of this thread is quite worrying in places. Yes the guy approached his post the wrong way and yes as I said in my first post there was a lot of things he could have done to make his first experience of CF a lot easier but come on is there really all this need for quite drastic hostility in places.

Its starting to become a worrying trend on these forums how some people are resorting to quite abrasive personal attacks when they read something they don't agree with.

The last thing we need is for these forums to start giving new people visiting them the impression that the CF community is a rather toxic group of people. There's quite a large space game out there that has a community that is well known for doing just this and it has no doubt put off some people from participating or even trying the game. 

We are all here to support the game and help it succeed and that includes showing courtesy to those who may annoy us. At the end of the day these people are prospective players of the game and may in time learn to contribute in a more constructive manner themselves.

I appreciate that you're trying to be level headed and help people, but the guy who wrote the OP has zero intention of doing any reading or helping themselves at all.

if they took half the time it took write that post and used to to do some research about the game instead, then he would be less angry at life in general and we wouldn't have lost brain cells reading it.

But he didn't. He'd rather do no research, spend money on something, and then write a unconstructive post complaining about it because it isn't what he thought it would be?

You can fix the problems in his post, but you can't fix his broken thought process that lead him to write it.

You don't coddle these people. They're not willing to fix their own problems so why should we bother to help.

P.S Not entirely convinced it's not a troll. The lines are blurred these days.

Edited by xaine

46 minutes ago, xaine said:

I appreciate that you're trying to level headed and help people, but the guy who wrote the OP has zero intention of doing any reading or helping themselves at all.

if they took half the time it took write that post and used to to do some research about the game instead, then he would be less angry at life in general and we wouldn't have lost brain cells reading it.

But he didn't. He'd rather do no research, spend money on something, and then write a unconstructive post complaining about it because it isn't what he thought it would be?

You can fix the problems in his post, but you can't fix his broken thought process that lead him to write it.

You don't coddle these people. They're not willing to fix their own problems so why should we bother to help.

P.S Not entirely convinced it's not a troll. The lines are blurred these days.

The post wasn't just in relation to these types of posts though xaine, it was in relation to the forums in general. It does seem to be that over the last 6 - 12 months that toxic elements are starting to creep in when certain viewpoints or whatever do not coincide with the views of others. 

It's human nature that people disagree but its the change in the nature of these disagreements that is starting to become apparent. I can't say for certain what has changed regarding the make up of the current CF population which has instigated this shift in attitudes but I have my suspicions. The last thing CF needs is to start getting a reputation of having a toxic community from the larger outside gaming community because nothing will deter potential players from coming here and trying the game more than that.

9 minutes ago, Badwolfe said:

The post wasn't just in relation to these types of posts though xaine, it was in relation to the forums in general. It does seem to be that over the last 6 - 12 months that toxic elements are starting to creep in when certain viewpoints or whatever do not coincide with the views of others. 

It's human nature that people disagree but its the change in the nature of these disagreements that is starting to become apparent. I can't say for certain what has changed regarding the make up of the current CF population which has instigated this shift in attitudes but I have my suspicions. The last thing CF needs is to start getting a reputation of having a toxic community from the larger outside gaming community because nothing will deter potential players from coming here and trying the game more than that.

Yeah, I'm with you.

I think it's natural to some extent, and compared to other communities I actually think we're pretty tame.

Considering most of us have backed this and put money into it, seeing people come around and complain there is no PVE, or that it should be more like WoW, or that it's P2W gets old fairly quickly.

17 minutes ago, Badwolfe said:

van-png.16777