Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rune-crafting. Why is it so shallow ?


Oroborous
 Share

Recommended Posts

Good day guys

I would like to start of by saying that this is not a rant or anything of the sort. I have looked for information on the topic and have come up empty, thus I thought I would turn to the Forums. When Crowfall releases I would like to focus on crafting, that being the case I decided to look at Rune-crafting as it is one of those necessary crafts that I don't think too many people will be jumping in line to do. After getting my skills up a little I started crafting rune tools to help me farm more resources, that's where I started seeing a few things that bother me and I was hoping the guys that have been with the development longer than myself might be able to help.

 

1) It feels like there isn't any real progression when it comes to crafting rune tools. Yes having more experimentation points to increase the power of the tools is nice and i have been able to make tools that work better than normal tools, but, thats about where it stops. Considering my best craft was a pick axe that had +54 that came from 7 experimentation points witch is made with Green quality components. Is it really worth it? In the hands of a gatherer that has put a lot of time into gathering will be able to get the maximum damage of 100 per hit (without the weak spots and or the increased damage buff) out of a level 7 node. Now the highest level node I have seen is level 9 so the damage might be a little less but I imagine it will still be decent.

Even I could get maximum damage out of lvl 1 cobblestone with just 3 pips in plentiful harvest and a rune hammer with +24 witch is child splay to craft even without having the 10 times faster training time. 

 

2) The tools are easy to make and cost very little resources. When you consider that it only takes 3 pieces of stone 1/5 of a piece of wood and 4 pieces of ore, the rune tools are just so inexpensive to make I cant imagine making these tools and selling them to anyone and in turn making any significant profit. I put a few points into harvesting as well seeing as how i don't really have an interest in fighting. After 1 hour of farming just basic resources ( witch is all you really need to make tools that can max out on basic resource nodes in terms of damage) I had enough of said resources to craft more than 40 rune tools. That seems really cheap. How are we supposed to make a career out of making and selling these? I can see 1 guy being needed in a guild of 50 gatherers that has trained Rune-crafting, that 1 guy should be able to make tools for his entire guild. Now I know the game is still in alpha and seeing as how everyone needs tools the tools have to be so cheap and easy to produce, but when you consider that fields like armor-crafting has  soooo much depth it makes Rune-crafting feels like it is falling short. 

 

3) I know and love the premise that the game uses. 1 recipe that can turn out however you make it, ranging from using metals of different composition to  different quality to give you a different end product every time. I really like this idea, it brings a sense of reality to the game as no 2 pieces of armor would be the same if the were crafted in the real world, even if it was by the same armor-smith. But there it feels like rune-crafting is also lacking. Yes there are a bunch of different recipes, but are there really? Its basically 2 different areas. Tools and the life/death runes. When you take into account that at most you go through 2 steps to make tools, namely: crafting the rune stone ( 3 pieces of ore witch don''t make any difference witch ore you use, only the quality) and making the Sigel (  witch consists of a piece of paper (again dosn''t matter what type, only the quality) and the ore ( witch is the only area where you can actually do something although the only ores I found to have any different effect other than adding durability  is using 2 pieces of silver and 2 pieces of gold)). So in other words the only part where you can really customize the tools are when you finally assemble them. 

 

I do not mean to offend anyone with this post, as it was made to have some of my questions answered. Is there something I missed? Or is Rune-crafting literally just a means to an end and specializing in it would mean wasting a lot of precious time that could have been spent training more traditional skills like blacksmithing or leatherworking. 

 

Kind Regards 

Oroborous

Link to comment
Share on other sites

two things we have not seen that will add depth (imho)

  1. Soul Gems converted to Thrall capturing devices
  2. Crafting of the Discipline stones

Right now one purposefully an after thought to allow testing of builds etc ... the other still an unknown 

 

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It had the disciplines system in during 5.2 but you could not capture thralls yet so they removed it. 

I do think they need more combine patterns.

Gold and silver has been nerfed into uselessness. (Crit chance picks) (They need to give around 5% chance to crit and 2.5 ish crit amount at top end)
Tin and copper is now very useful (Plent harvest chance) Of course that must be a bug, I mean it is useful. But not until you are into the third page of training. 
Extra special rolls tools have some use, (Copper + Silver) but miss out on things. You should be able to get the other special rolls with them as well. Cutting grit, foraged food from axes, something from rocks. and heartwood/ beeswax from trees. 

I would like to see it fleshed out with stone materials and combos mattering. Different tools for different roles in the group. But with the simplistic mining rules that is not possible. (Most damage gets their stats used in all loot calculations.)

I wish we could get all buckets used. Any who damaged the node get the best stat used. So that we could use an armor pen pick, a big hit pick, a gem chance pick and a crit chance crit amount pick, in a combined effort where skills and gear all mattered on motherloads. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes I was just reading through the FAQ again and noticed the part where they mentioned disciplines. That makes me feel better about the diversity of the Rune-crafting field. It a one light point to keep in mind for the future. I would still like to see some more customization options for the tools though, maby make a higher tier of runetools, something that is harder to craft and requires more resources but gives a better final product.

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, srathor said:

It had the disciplines system in during 5.2 but you could not capture thralls yet so they removed it. 

I do think they need more combine patterns.

Gold and silver has been nerfed into uselessness. (Crit chance picks) (They need to give around 5% chance to crit and 2.5 ish crit amount at top end)
Tin and copper is now very useful (Plent harvest chance) Of course that must be a bug, I mean it is useful. But not until you are into the third page of training. 
Extra special rolls tools have some use, (Copper + Silver) but miss out on things. You should be able to get the other special rolls with them as well. Cutting grit, foraged food from axes, something from rocks. and heartwood/ beeswax from trees. 

I would like to see it fleshed out with stone materials and combos mattering. Different tools for different roles in the group. But with the simplistic mining rules that is not possible. (Most damage gets their stats used in all loot calculations.)

I wish we could get all buckets used. Any who damaged the node get the best stat used. So that we could use an armor pen pick, a big hit pick, a gem chance pick and a crit chance crit amount pick, in a combined effort where skills and gear all mattered on motherloads. 
 

Thank you for this information, I will be checking out the different combinations tomorrow morning. I would also like to see the tools fleshed out a bit more, seeing as how thats how the crafters can contribute in a meaningful way to the gatherers. If the game wants us to work together in harmony ( fighters/crafters/gatherers) they have to make it so if 1 of the groups aren't there the other 2 cant progress. We already have that with crafters/fighters and fighters/gatherers but not yet crafters/gatherers as a gatherer could train the skills to make his own tools with in a few weeks if not days.

 

Thank you for your quick reply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Oroborous said:

Yes I was just reading through the FAQ again and noticed the part where they mentioned disciplines. That makes me feel better about the diversity of the Rune-crafting field. It a one light point to keep in mind for the future. I would still like to see some more customization options for the tools though, maby make a higher tier of runetools, something that is harder to craft and requires more resources but gives a better final product.

Thank you for your speedy reply.

There is probably coming more we dont even know about, that said tiered runetools... no the whole premise of the crafting system here is little to no tiers of crafting so basics, intermediate and advanced can be pretty sure that is all we get

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gummiel said:

There is probably coming more we dont even know about, that said tiered runetools... no the whole premise of the crafting system here is little to no tiers of crafting so basics, intermediate and advanced can be pretty sure that is all we get

But there is only basic and intermediate tools that can be crafted right now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...