ACE_Jackal

Pre-Alpha 5 Live! for February - Official Discussion Thread

Figured to add my questions here as its some times a challenge to get them out in a format with all the chat movement and the teams quick responses if they chimed in on them.

• Will Thralls be tied to the training requirements or like in other cases will everyone be able to test at first?

Answer: starting to enable test server to allow testing without skill requirement but when moves to live training will be required

• Rings have a lot of 'class' specific stats added on at the cut.  Will necklaces also see this? Any chance moving these to a place where crafters can choose to add them and keep more general stats on the cut ?

Answer: by design to have the 'pools' on the rings. Right now no change is planned. necklaces have 3 cuts

• Will Wells have quality or can we only bootstrap the water flask with the flask? As the changes to bootstrap is a bit punitive 

Answer: water does not count against us for quality in crafting as its unchecked in the  combine option ( my response)  does this work with Grit also as it sure feels that the grey grit takes us down more often than not on the Diamond blade creation? Also does that mean Blood does not add or subtract as it has quality options and we use it in the same place as we use water flask?  I realize that at the JC step quality might not matter but on creating the diamond blade (masonry) and creating the flask (alchemy) are their boxes checked not to impact the quality?

• Will spiders output any items to expand the Poison options? Feels like a logic expansion doh ..(subtle hide carnivore leather format) 

Answer: Not for 5.5 ... right now only making them fun will focus more on loot later

• I had the question on my list but luckily  @Gradishar asked about the lift in stats for 5.5 for Jewelcrafting 

Answer: Stats will see significant lift ... but expect a nerf to Fashion Statement and Hand of Glory to limit the total number of Jewel Crafting items a player can have on

my general comments:

yay! on making the testing server  more test-ish and allowing us to test the creation of all the new changes more deeply and quickly.

right now there are 3 out of the 5 cuts tied to Gathering/Crafting leaving just 2 cuts for Combat, hopefully the necklace cuts are designed to compliment both the Combat cuts and the Gathering/Crafting cuts.

@thomasblair

Edited by Anhrez

notes:

https://pastebin.com/TtyKCqzH

[how did it take this long to stop stamina knight haha]

[melee ranger freedom, but why would you bother over a bow or assassin remains the question given general ranged distance vs melee!]

video on demand - a good stream of info to watch!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/228690248

Edited by Tinnis

Feels like a big step forward.  The knight changes were definitely needed - there was simply too much strain on stamina.  It was a neat experiment, but I'm glad you were able to see that it was problematic.  Hoping resource costs for energy are balanced well.

Pretty much everything you listed was a positive for me.  Adventure zones will add depth, and a new map was needed oh so much.  Hopefully we'll get an idea of the beachhead - forts - keeps play progression you want via item crafting.  The minor discipline for adding support power will open up a lot of options, too.  I'd like to see more powers that are currently bundled into major disciplines also have an option as a solo minor discipline (trailblazer, for one.  A bleed removal for another.  More along those lines).

Knowing that the current performance issues are a result of the Unity upgrade is a help, too.  At least we're not blaming your engineers for adding something and then not being able to understand why they broke the game with it.  Now we can just blame the third party software and be more patient waiting for a fix.

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

spiders = carnivores and supple hide [and "spider parts!"]

spiders

hide

I don't.. think.. spiders work that way.

Suspension of disbelief shattered - shattered, I tell you.

hey @thomasblair any chance you giving us an idea of what the stats will be like in 5.5? here is the Max Energy ring as it looks now? will we see 10X or 3*pi * X 

jkmjswB.png

not sure how i feel about "any melee class" from the sound of it getting access to the +750 base support power as a minor that druids/cleric are drip fed against their other entire lack of scaling options. but i am at least glad it gives the option of pursuing a templar 'healer' somewhat (or at least making rallying semi usable again). tbh i think templar should get a native +sp boost of about half the support classes anyway but w/e

beaten the healing vs damage scaling concerns [and stat/scaling choics] to death already ;p

Edited by Tinnis

1 minute ago, moneda said:

I totally missed that he stated it'd be for melee classes. Personally I'd like it to be open to any class that isn't Cleric or Druid. Healy Confessor FTW @thomasblair!

oh god no please ;p tbh i'd be happy if it was a templar only rune myself

but also bemoaning the lack of scaling options for pure supports as well ...

Edited by Tinnis

For the love of god please get someone working on the bugged Duelist burrow gfx. Running around with an above ground rat with rigor mortis really detracts from the Duelist game play :)

1 hour ago, moneda said:

I totally missed that he stated it'd be for melee classes. Personally I'd like it to be open to any class that isn't Cleric or Druid. Healy Confessor FTW @thomasblair!

He didn't specifically said that ONLY melee can take it, he just said that how the fixed the melee being so far behind. (I mean you are probably right they are melee only disc, but we can't know 100% from that stream)

Good Q&A, really like 98% of what I heard

That said...

I don't believe the level of decay penalties they were throwing around the "tow truck" mechanic are realistic for a fun game.

10% + 25% would mean all your gear would last at most 10 deaths, but most likely because of the "death blow" and enemies being able to trigger that 25% your going to lose all your gear in three or four fights.

Given the hours and hours it takes to gather and craft even a single set of gear, I can not see this encouraging PvP in any way shape or form.

They really need to crank up the "easy to aquire" for gear, or basically everyone is going to run around in whatever is the cheapest 90% of the time.

Maybe the crafting experimentation extra durability could be given a significant buff.

I don't know, but it just does not sound fun, but rather going well overboard on the "everything dies" plan.

We shall see.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

The 10% thing isn't intended. It's supposed to be an amount rather than a percentage so that having higher durability actually matters. The same may ultimately be true of the 25%.

14 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

I don't believe the level of decay penalties they were throwing around the "tow truck" mechanic are realistic for a fun game.

10% + 25% means all your gear would last at most 10 deaths, but most likely because of the "death blow" your going to lose all your gear in three or four fights.

Given the hours and hours it takes to gather and craft even a single set of gear, I can not see this encouraging PvP in any way shape or form.

They really need to crank up the "easy to aquire" for gear, or basically everyone is going to run around in basics 90% of the time.

Maybe the crafting experimentation extra durability could be given a significant buff.

I don't know, but it just does not sound fun, but rather going well overboard on the "everything dies" plan.

We shall see.

Completely agree, the items shouldn't lose a percent value, it should be a set point value meaning a high durability item will last longer than a low one. Repair should also be an option that way crafters would be kept busy repairing items not in a constant loop for re making items. 

Just means that being without a guild or group will be even more sub-optimal. They need to add more social tools ASAP, preferably before they make solo play == being shat upon by the 6 biggest groups.