Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xomox

Assassin Worst Solo Class?

LMAO.....think he may have had some of the newbies siding with him. Then a vid of "The Hoff" got posted. Nobody messes with The Hoff. lol

Edited by Imort

On 2/17/2018 at 4:01 PM, Xomox said:

Seems to me the need for exact positioning for backstabs Assassin main spamable really limits the class.    Sure you have disc. that gives you auto backstab for a time however it costs resources.

With a team mate doing CC it would decent no doubt but solo really going to do poorly in the long run.    The damage on the non-backstab attack is horrible.  

Been playing Assassin style classes for near 20 years, this need for positioning without more ways to gain it will be an issue.   Worst there is not viable other options that another class is going to do much better.  

Solo I just feel a lot more powerful on Champ, Ranger or Duelist the gap is really large.

I know there is zero need to be tied to one class and I liked duelist anyway right off the bat, but I would like to see Assassin have other non-position based viable builds.   Seems even in chat people see Assassin as free kills for the most part.

Honestly this post shouldn't have even involved Tark. Only reason i posted the video is to show that significant dmg can be done to plate wielding tanks. Vid was already done and was easier then typing out how to use the basics of playing the assassin class. At this point i don't even think you know what moves the assassin has in its base kit. Nor have you used any discs to help your deficiency and lack of understanding.

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

thats multi boxing for you! :P

Multi boxing would make sense.

None of this will be happening soon after release.   The damage will get toned down combined with knowledge of anti stealth anti gank settups and skills to run will lead to a whole different level of play one where burst combos will not drop plate to even below 60-70% on open.  There are already options people can use to shut down that initial burst, my guess is we are not seeing it because it does not matter right now.  

You can farm for hours seeing no one, leaving your best option slotting for max gathering and just take the rare gank, what i do best time investment bank every few mins and its all good.   When spirit bank is not a thing, you will see.

Now is not what it will be, now is very misleading. 

On 2/17/2018 at 4:01 PM, Xomox said:

Seems to me the need for exact positioning for backstabs Assassin main spamable really limits the class.    Sure you have disc. that gives you auto backstab for a time however it costs resources.

With a team mate doing CC it would decent no doubt but solo really going to do poorly in the long run.    The damage on the non-backstab attack is horrible.  

Been playing Assassin style classes for near 20 years, this need for positioning without more ways to gain it will be an issue.   Worst there is not viable other options that another class is going to do much better.  

Solo I just feel a lot more powerful on Champ, Ranger or Duelist the gap is really large.

I know there is zero need to be tied to one class and I liked duelist anyway right off the bat, but I would like to see Assassin have other non-position based viable builds.   Seems even in chat people see Assassin as free kills for the most part.

Try playing confessor solo

Just now, yianni said:

Scim druid is around the corner, I can't wait

techncially you can play it now with an advanced staff [you can equip stormcaller passive], just without being able to use call storm, which is the main "selling point" - little that there is...

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

I would like to second what Xomox is saying.  I have seen the typical flame of maybe you aren’t playing the class right but...

Being a new player and having played a Rogue in WoW for some time, I at present have the following opinion ( I have advanced armor and weapons):

(1) Very difficult to catch anyone,  forces most assassins to use a bow...even with discs it’s hard to catch people, in most cases we get slowed and ranged.

(2) Not doing enough damage to heavy armor wearers.

(3) Can’t take very many hits before being  downed.

For all of theses reasons I think this class in its current state is gimped,  when the disparity between it and other classes is so huge that you decide not to actively engage in most cases it’s a sad day...

Asgard

The assassin's damage is actually extremely high against targets with low armor pre backstab nerf. If you are attacking a knight-without specifically building to counter heavy armor-you deserve to do low damage. However, the assassin still has a multitude of issues namely both mobility and survivability.  If I was ACE I would add an ability to consume stamina in stealth for a moderate sprint, and decrease the amount of soul power an assassin needs to to use their ulti. Both of these changes would be made taking into account the nerf to backstab.

Edited by Zatch
clarity

2 minutes ago, Soulreaver said:

When 5.5 hits - anti stealth is so extremely strong that stealth and re-entering stealth willbe a huge issue.

The cooldown on backstab hit the assassin pretty hard also. 

Although it is now possible coming out of stealth using black mask to crit ambush, backstab then do a 5 point diffusion since they fixed the pip generation on these abilities (3 for ambush, 2 for backstab) for some pretty good burst. 

The CD on backstab is like 7-8 seconds but I hope they lower it to the 3-5 second range. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

30 minutes ago, blazzen said:

The cooldown on backstab hit the assassin pretty hard also. 

Although it is now possible coming out of stealth using black mask to crit ambush, backstab then do a 5 point diffusion since they fixed the pip generation on these abilities (3 for ambush, 2 for backstab) for some pretty good burst. 

The CD on backstab is like 7-8 seconds but I hope they lower it to the 3-5 second range. 

7-8 Seconds is just plain brutal.

Admittedly, when I first started rolling around on Assassin it felt pretty busted.  Popping Call Darkness and backstabbing people in the face was good times.  It was completely devoid of skill or even conscious thought... but it was amusing.

As time went on and more and more people geared up, I started to realize how much of it was simply being better geared.

Positioning wasn't the issue.  At all.  Let's be real, here... there's a nearly 180 degree window to hit Backstab with.  It's beyond generous. 

Sure, while getting the jump on someone harvesting you're likely to get the W for a variety of factors (their buildout being for harvesting, element of surprise, delay in their ability to get out of stuns and into the combat tray to actually react, etc).  However, in a more straight up "fair" fight I felt like the Assasin somehow didn't have much utility.  You've got a stun and a KD, and damage.  There's not much in the way of survivability in there, and frankly, we're not all WildOne lol. 

At some point, I swapped out Agent Prov for Sharpshooter to mess around with that, and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Let's face it... tagging people from 60m with a 1K+ bow shot that applies a Bleed and Nature Poison (which ticks too hard if we're being fair) was great fun.  It gave me more to do during Fort takes/defenses, and it gave me another tool to use when someone tried to run away.

Then I tried Arcane Archer... and began the process of learning how many of the Major Discipline options simply do not work on Assassin.  Nothing like pulling out your bow, and realizing that you can't use nearly any of the abilities because you need Pips to do so, and you have zero ability to generate pips with a bow... and... well, throw that Discipline away.

Equipped Banshee to help take Forts during the Indestructible Walls era... oh... I can't use Ghost Army without Pips... mmk...

List goes on, but it basically shut of many other fun things you could do w/ Assassin because their resource requires the Melee/Stealth tray.

Ultimately, I enjoyed my time on Assassin.  I felt at least relatively effective with the class, but it felt like the class was missing something.  As more and more time went on, I found myself wanting to use the bow more than my actual Assassin kit...

Then I swapped to Ranger... and realized just how big of a difference there was.  Maybe it's the new car smell, and it'll wear off, but the little bit I've done so far on Ranger feels like it's lightyears ahead of the Assassin.  They're obviously superior at range, but they honestly feel almost as good in melee as well. 

In the end.. Assassin felt great in a vacuum.  Once I started trying other things, it felt much much weaker.

2s922vm.png

Chapter Leader

So I am of the exact opposite opinion of the OP.  Having played "assassin" types in many, many MMOs the class in its current form here is best suited for solo play.

I haven't really pvp'd with it much, but it currently really reminds me of the stunlock rogue from WoW vanilla.  It is going to be the class that gets the most "nerf" calls when the game goes live regardless of how balanced it is.  The ability to stealth in, pick your target, initiate the fight with a stun and go into a second stun soon after is just going to be hard for other classes to recover from.  Positioning isn't much of a problem when your opponent is spending quality time being stunned.  This is definitely an anti-harvester class and really lends itself to solo gankers. 

In terms of harvesting, it will be a GREAT class for that.  It pves fairly quickly so you can grind that out fast.  You can stealth into anywhere and find the right rock, tree, or ore node you are looking for, bang on it, then stealth back out limiting your vulnerability window.  It is pretty much a super solo friendly class.  But it won't be very good at a team role. 

Teams will be too mobile for him to be able to keep up in stealth, so his greatest strength will be negated.    When teams  are doing damage at range, the assassin is going to have to rely on a gimped bow, or gimp everything else to be decent at a bow.  A team of assassins won't be any good either as they will be easily kited once their openers all hit.  The only real purpose an assassin will have in a pvp group is their ability to scout in stealth.  The group leader will have one or two assassins in their group go see what is going on at "x" keep while the rest of the group is pvping somewhere else.  So basically they will be with a group, then told to go solo somewhere else while the rest of the group does the actual pvp.