Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"gold is the only thing vendors will take and their upkeep cost"

Tinnis

so we have to find gold nodes, harvest and mint coins to have vendors.  interesting.

why do thralls need gold?

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

13 hours ago, jetah said:

so we have to find gold nodes, harvest and mint coins to have vendors.  interesting.

why do thralls need gold?

well, currently gold coins just drop whole out of a boars arse. would prefer minting something myself!

Gold must come from a non-crafting area. Crafters need customers and there must be rare drops or gold for combat people to sale/trade for goods. Otherwise the economy is one sided.

Right now it seems to come from skinning (gold, shards and crafting materials to sell) 

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

well, currently gold coins just drop whole out of a boars arse. would prefer minting something myself!

i would have sworn we had to mint them as per some of the kickstarter videos.

@silverback those that gather will need to be protected. they mine the ore and give it to a crafter that makes the coins. the crafter pays the gatherer and the gatherer pays the protection.   now you have a full loop on getting gold into combat hands. i just hate that a rat or boar has coins on their corpse.

etDenA9.png

I'm not convinced that gatherers will NEED to be protected, but obviously gather together for protection. I also think that pure combat classes could live off of killing those solo gatherers for materials.

If you remember SWG, the mobs had a nest with 4-5 mobs roaming around it. The solo guy could kill the mobs but imagine it would take several people to kill the 'nest' similiar to mother node. This nest would then have collectibles like gold coins?

11 minutes ago, jetah said:

i would have sworn we had to mint them as per some of the kickstarter videos.

@silverback those that gather will need to be protected. they mine the ore and give it to a crafter that makes the coins. the crafter pays the gatherer and the gatherer pays the protection.   now you have a full loop on getting gold into combat hands. i just hate that a rat or boar has coins on their corpse.

The problem with "x will need to be protected" is that in practice this is not a sustainable design.

Go play EVE. In THEORY it should be relatively simple to get a job "protecting" a miner in losec. In reality this is not now nor has it ever been a job that exists.

Guard duty is boring. Literally standing around waiting for something to happen is boring. Your presence is literally a deterrent to anything interesting happening.

The way people in combat builds actually make money is by killing NPCs somewhere in the general area of the miners, so they have something to actually do while remaining a deterrent and quickly avaliable field presence.

"Guard" is not a 24/7 job in an MMO. Nobody "guards" for the majority of their play time, and nobody needs guards for the majority of their playtime either. Designing as if these are real player behaviors is foolish.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

7 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

The problem with "x will need to be protected" is that in practice this is not a sustainable design.

Go play EVE. In THEORY it should be relatively simple to get a job "protecting" a miner in losec. In reality this is not now nor has it ever been a job that exists.

Guard duty is boring. Literally standing around waiting for something to happen is boring. Your presence is literally a deterrent to anything interesting happening.

The way people in combat builds actually make money is by killing NPCs somewhere in the general area of the miners, so they have something to actually do while remaining a deterrent and quickly avaliable field presence.

"Guard" is not a 24/7 job in an MMO. Nobody "guards" for the majority of their play time, and nobody needs guards for the majority of their playtime either. Designing as if these are real player behaviors is foolish.

i played Eve for over 10 years and yeah we did protect miners in null sec. rats spawned and players entered the system/region. We kept an eye on the map to see if people/groups were headed our way. we'd warp back to the pos or station and swap ships. we'd engage or jump the system depending on fleet size. the protection group would rat in the belts or nearby systems. when one would notice jumps in nearby systems increasing they'd group up with us. we'd also send cloak ships to check them out, if possible.

and yes we had some pirates try to kill us, we lost some ships but we did kill them in the end.

i'm not wanting to grind mobs for a few coins either. i want to fight other players, not ai.

Edited by jetah

etDenA9.png

17 minutes ago, jetah said:

i played Eve for over 10 years and yeah we did protect miners in null sec. rats spawned and players entered the system/region. We kept an eye on the map to see if people/groups were headed our way. we'd warp back to the pos or station and swap ships. we'd engage or jump the system depending on fleet size. the protection group would rat in the belts or nearby systems. when one would notice jumps in nearby systems increasing they'd group up with us. we'd also send cloak ships to check them out, if possible.

and yes we had some pirates try to kill us, we lost some ships but we did kill them in the end.

You must have played a different EVE than I did. My experience is that miners fit to kill their own rats, guards did ratting nearby occasionally but mostly spent time looking around local space for someone unfriendly to show up in local, and the majority of income for combat players was mission jumpclones or said rats. Occasionally you might get a named rat the miners would jump away from and refit to combat ships to kill, or ask someone already in a combat fit to kill.

Ratting was your income source, not guarding people. At best you probably got compensation in refits from your corp if killed in a fleet op. You spent very little time hanging out with miners to guard them if your experience is like any other EVE player in low or null. Also note that EVE's warp system effectively put the entire star system a crowfall equivalent of 100 meters away from the mining node. This is a system that is incompatible with how crowfall's resourcing and movement actually functions as resourcing players cover a lot more ground than players farming mobs in a way that necessarily takes the harvesters and potential guards too far away from one another for the guards to actually guard and not be bored out of their minds.

The only interaction here that IS valid is skinning, but even then the "guards" aren't actually guarding. They're half of the harvesting mechanism. An EVE equivalent is this would be sleeper salvaging.

In order for this to work you'd have to spawn reasonably tough mobs around every resource node in crowfall constantly, making solo harvesting impossible, inflating the required player count for group harvesting activities, and littering the world with so many mobs that they become an active impediment to pvp in the vicinity of any gathering nodes.

Edited by PopeUrban

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

@PopeUrbanyeah Eve was different 10 years ago. our miners would use drones to mine. not sure why but they did. our miners would pay for security to help everyone out.

etDenA9.png

1 hour ago, jetah said:

@PopeUrbanyeah Eve was different 10 years ago. our miners would use drones to mine. not sure why but they did. our miners would pay for security to help everyone out.

One wonders how long ago ACE is taking their example from. 

It's fairly obvious in many of the designs, I just wonder how up to date they are in the game evolution, and how much is actually translatable or worth using as an example these days.

9 hours ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

One wonders how long ago ACE is taking their example from. 

It's fairly obvious in many of the designs, I just wonder how up to date they are in the game evolution, and how much is actually translatable or worth using as an example these days.

I think it was more of a 'mining drones mine more' but...

i'd guess they looked when they were designing it before kickstarter.

etDenA9.png

• 2 weeks later...

Played Eve for over 10 years and mining could be dangerous in high sec, less alone 0.0 space.  No protection meant easy targeting for gankers , sure I did some gamking myself, killing tech 2 mining barges.   I think many of the people who will do solo collecting will have to go assassin or duelist to have stealth.  Once you collect a valuable node, you are going to need to take it back to a chest and this trip will be the most dangerous time.

Once you collect a valuable node, you are going to need to take it back to a chest 

You load up a dummy vessel on a server you never play on, get a tool from the spirit bank and run out naked. Get a stack of 'whatever' and toss it in your spirit bank. Log off and go play your normal character.

43 minutes ago, Silverback said:

You load up a dummy vessel on a server you never play on, get a tool from the spirit bank and run out naked. Get a stack of 'whatever' and toss it in your spirit bank. Log off and go play your normal character.

Access to servers is limited.  The expectation is that if you visit a CW server, your playing it till the bitter end. They are going to control server hopping.

WHAT IS TO PREVENT PEOPLE FROM NON-STOP CAMPAIGN HOPPING?

Campaigns are not intended to be transitory. Our design goal is for players to pick a few Campaigns at any one time and stick with them until the end.

Campaign Worlds will come with a reservation system, and each account will have a set number of Campaigns that it may subscribe to. We may introduce a way to unlock an already-used slot for a price.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

On 3/5/2018 at 1:53 PM, Silverback said:

Also, the spirit bank is only for testing. It won't exist come beta time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

3 hours ago, goose said:

Also, the spirit bank is only for testing. It won't exist come beta time.

i wouldnt be too sure about that assumption to be honest

An Introduction to Banks

Thursday October 19th 2017

Howdy, folks!

Jack here, and today we’ll be talking about a feature you've already been using frequently: banks. You're already probably familiar with the Spirit Bank (don't worry if you aren't, we’ll cover it below), and the bank currently available in the Pre-Alpha test. In 5.3, we'll be splitting our existing functionality into three parts: Spirit (or Account) Bank, World Bank and now we’ll be adding Local Bank functionality into the mix.

These different banking systems will all interplay with each other in specific ways, and you'll want to utilize them often – and strategically – to keep your hard-earned loot safe from potential thieves.

SPIRIT BANKS
Before we get into the new systems, let's jog your memory on the specifics of the Spirit Bank. Spirit Banks are an account-level area for item storage that is accessible from anywhere. This means you can put a sword in your Spirit Bank in a Campaign World and then pull that same sword out in your Eternal Kingdom – subject to the import/export rules for those Worlds.

Like all banks, deposited items are totally safe; no one has access to your Spirit Bank except for you. Spirit Banks do, however, have a two-minute hold on any times moving in or out of the Spirit Bank (for technical reasons; after all, we are allowing you to move items from a world in Munich to a world in Virginia! Most MMOs don’t even attempt to allow that).

If you place an item into the bank, you'll notice a small red X in the upper left corner icon. This will remain until the item is “transferred” and free to be used again (eventually, we’ll have a better interface for this – we promise!).

As a reminder, import and export restrictions are world-specific and limit the number of items (or item stacks) that you can bring into, or take out of, a World at any given time. We originally intended to lock the number of import/export items to the beginning and ending of a Campaign – but now that the system is in place, we have the ability to adjust these numbers in real-time based on in-game events. In the future, you can expect that in some Campaigns, we will likely use this as a balance mechanic; winning teams can be rewarded with more exports and/or losing teams can be granted more imports as a “catch up” mechanic to keep the Campaigns interesting.

Crowfal_SS_BankTransfer1

LOCAL BANKS
Local Banks are a new addition to our Campaign Worlds. Each Fort and Keep will have a Local Bank, which will appear in the stronghold as chests that can only be opened in a specific location. They are personal for each character, meaning any items that are stored there will not be seen or accessed by anyone else using this Bank.

Local Banks, unlike the Spirit Bank, are also specific to that location. So, for example, if you put a bunch of ore in the bank at Archenstone, you'll have to go back to that exact location to retrieve the ore. They're a safe place to drop off materials that you want to keep out of your inventory – and out of the hands of looters – until you need to use them… provided that you don’t lose access to that location. This makes storage inside a stronghold Local Bank somewhat risky, as the convenience of using the Local Bank is offset by the chance that the stronghold might be lost, making retrieval of said items more challenging…

…but not impossible. There is one other way to retrieve these, and that is through use of the World Bank.

Crowfal_SS_BankTransfer2

WORLD BANKS
World Banks are only available in Campaigns with Beachheads. Beachhead zones are located on some Campaign Worlds, and provide a place for players to get their bearings before braving the dangers of outside world.

In each Beachhead, there is an area where players can pray to the Gods to retrieve items from Local Banks located out in the world. There are a few limitations on the use of a World Bank:

• There is a limit on the number of Local Banks that you can withdraw from (currently set to 5 local banks per player, per world).
  • Interactions are limited to withdrawals only, meaning that this service really only works as a fallback mechanic – you can’t deposit things remotely.
  • There will be a durability hit to the items you retrieve.

Why do we want World Banks to work as a “fallback” mechanic? As a counter balance to the “slippery slope” nature of Local Banks in strongholds that can be lost (and therefore inaccessible).

We’ve discussed “slippery slope” problems before (for a refresher course, I would invite you to check out

by David Sirlin) but the summary is:

A design is considered “slippery slope” when strong teams are given advantages on top of winning that make them more likely to win in the future, and/or weaker teams are saddled with disadvantages that become increasingly insurmountable with each loss. Slippery slope issues are the bane of strategy games, as they lead to boring, one-sided games that no one wants to continue playing.

Losing a stronghold is bad – cutting players off from the resources that help them get back into the game is worse, because it reinforces this division of strength.

The World Bank is designed to offset this issue. If your faction has lost too much ground AND your enemies have taken over the areas where your Local Banks are located, World Banks provide an ultimate fallback: return to the World Bank statue, retrieve your items remotely (for a cost) and try to get back in the game.

SUMMARY
The banking system in Crowfall is meant to add another piece to the puzzle in our ever-present vision of risk vs reward. The three types of banks work interdependently (using Local Banks to stash items nearby, World Banks as a fallback point, and Spirit Banks as the foundation for the flow of items between worlds).

And remember: as with so many of our features, we have the ability adjust the impact of these system (or disable them completely!) on a world-by-world basis.

Jack Kirby
Utility Infielder
ArtCraft Entertainment

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

i wouldnt be too sure about that assumption to be honest

I remember that post, but if memory serves it was clarified in a youtube video that spirit banks were going to continue to exist, but the free access to them any time any where that A: we have become used to and B: was inherent to the point Silverback was making would be a testing relic, and access to the spirit bank would be much more restrictive when the game went live.

tl;dr: semantics....maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Pre-alpha <--this is where we are. If your complaint is that the game don't not works good, come back later.

23 minutes ago, goose said:

I remember that post, but if memory serves it was clarified in a youtube video that spirit banks were going to continue to exist, but the free access to them any time any where that A: we have become used to and B: was inherent to the point Silverback was making would be a testing relic, and access to the spirit bank would be much more restrictive when the game went live.

tl;dr: semantics....maybe?

i hope they tie spirit banks to a physical location, and more tied to the start and end of worlds - as original summoning circle pitch - but i'm not holding my breath.

originally intended to lock the number of import/export items to the beginning and ending of a Campaign – but now that the system is in place, we have the ability to adjust these numbers in real-time based on in-game events. In the future, you can expect that in some Campaigns, we will likely use this as a balance mechanic; winning teams can be rewarded with more exports and/or losing teams can be granted more imports as a “catch up” mechanic to keep the Campaigns interesting.

Edited by Tinnis

1 minute ago, Tinnis said:

i hope they tie spirit banks to a physical location - as original summoning circle pitch - but i'm not holding my breath.

Right, we'll see