Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Online/Offline

Devonic

Right now my EK is offline, until I start it up and join.

When it comes to the live game, will EK's always be online or will it be the same.

If they go offline in the live game, sharing maybe a issue.

They will go offline, most likely when nobody is in them.

Talking out my ass here, but they may offer the option for people to pay specifically for 24/7 EK's as the issue is partly an expense one. You don't get to spin up servers for free.

21 hours ago, Devonic said:

Right now my EK is offline, until I start it up and join.

When it comes to the live game, will EK's always be online or will it be the same.

If they go offline in the live game, sharing maybe a issue.

I guess with "offline" you mean that nobody is able to enter it (like it is currently the case - which makes sense, because it saves resources). Of course they will be shut down in the final game when nobody is in there. It would make no sense to keep them open. But it would also make no sense if the monarch would have to be online to allow other people to enter the kingdom. 

As far as we know up to now, in the final game setting a kingdom to be public or granting citizen rights or granting personal access rights will enable people to enter a kingdom - without having the monarch to be there to wake it up first. There will also be a player cap, but we have no information yet how this will work. 

Edited by Kraahk

19 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

I guess with "offline" you mean that nobody is able to enter it (like it is currently the case - which makes sense, because it saves resources). Of course they will be shut down in the final game when nobody is in there. It would make no sense to keep them open. But it would also make no sense if the monarch would have to be online to allow other people to enter the kingdom. 

As far as we know up to now, in the final game setting a kingdom to be public or granting citizen rights or granting personal access rights will enable people to enter a kingdom - without having the monarch to be there to wake it up first. There will also be a player cap, but we have no information yet how this will work. 

|It would be pretty brutal if the Monarch had to be online, especially in a big guild with people from different time zones.

Thanks

i assumed that the worlds would be offline if no one in them - but people other than the owner would be able to boot them online on demand [or at least it be a permission thing you could grant to your "nobles" or some "admin role" for EK invites etc]

@jtoddcolemanany clarity on this going forward? :)

Edited by Tinnis

31 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

i assumed that the worlds would be offline if no one in them - but people other than the owner would be able to boot them online on demand [or at least it be a permission thing you could grant to your "nobles" or some "admin role" for EK invites etc]

@jtoddcolemanany clarity on this going forward? :)

I hope this it the case. It seems right now they don't close until the EK is completely vacant. I left mine the other day with some friends in there and it stayed open until they vacated it.

If your EK is a crafting hot spot I doubt it is going to be empty ever. But then again, when it gets into the early morning hours it might be empty and shut down which would be a problem for anyone trying to get into it in the morning.

I really hope that there are plans for possibly a mobile app for booting up EK's and training skills on the fly. Any thoughts on that as well @jtoddcoleman

3 hours ago, Badwolfe said:

I've got a lot of craft stations in mine. Long term plan (if it becomes possible) is just leave it public for people to pop in and out of to use them

Do craft stations deteriorate from use?  (I've got a full set of crafting stations in my live ek - placed them on top of fence posts.  Who needs buildings?)

3 hours ago, RNG said:

I hope this it the case. It seems right now they don't close until the EK is completely vacant. I left mine the other day with some friends in there and it stayed open until they vacated it.

If your EK is a crafting hot spot I doubt it is going to be empty ever. But then again, when it gets into the early morning hours it might be empty and shut down which would be a problem for anyone trying to get into it in the morning.

I really hope that there are plans for possibly a mobile app for booting up EK's and training skills on the fly. Any thoughts on that as well @jtoddcoleman

You don't need to flag Todd on that one.  They have said they think there is "something there" in a live Q&A when that question came up, but it will certainly be a VIP only thing if/when it happens.

Do no expect it anytime before quite some time after initial launch.

I'll drag some of the good questions here into the dev partner forums to see if we can get an EK vision update.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

1 hour ago, Shikra said:

Do craft stations deteriorate from use?  (I've got a full set of crafting stations in my live ek - placed them on top of fence posts.  Who needs buildings?)

the windowed fort windows allow you to place them without lowering walls. I don't believe they decay

Edited by Badwolfe
uGlR0Ph.png

TBH it makes the most sense to just allow anyone on the access list to boot up an offline EK, and the onlining portion should just be a hidden, automatic part of joining them rather than a separate UI step to prevent people from wasting hardware resources by going down the list and clicking "put online" for all the EKs on the public list.

There's nothing harmful people can really do by booting up a world if the owner isn't there, and this entire "vendor mall" system isn't going to work if the EK's owner has to be online camping out in the place for people to come by and shop.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

So I imagine the constraint here is cost. We know that each EK instance is "spun up" via Amazon Web Services and servers are created on demand. Knowing how AWS works, they charge for usage basically, this means leaving an EK up would actually cost them money. This is probably why they "shut down" when no one is using them, because it saves them money (even if it's a trivial amount, imagine the scale at the number of potential players CF will have). So it stands to reason that free players will need to be "present" to get into an EK, but VIP (paying) users could keep theirs online indefinitely.

This is just logistical, revenue positive behavior. I wouldn't expect this to change much considering ACE is a business and not a charity. They shouldn't be expected to operate thousands of microservers for free users (nor should the paying customers be burdened with the cost of running those free players EKs).

1 hour ago, Scree said:

So I imagine the constraint here is cost. We know that each EK instance is "spun up" via Amazon Web Services and servers are created on demand. Knowing how AWS works, they charge for usage basically, this means leaving an EK up would actually cost them money. This is probably why they "shut down" when no one is using them, because it saves them money (even if it's a trivial amount, imagine the scale at the number of potential players CF will have). So it stands to reason that free players will need to be "present" to get into an EK, but VIP (paying) users could keep theirs online indefinitely.

This is just logistical, revenue positive behavior. I wouldn't expect this to change much considering ACE is a business and not a charity. They shouldn't be expected to operate thousands of microservers for free users (nor should the paying customers be burdened with the cost of running those free players EKs).

Most likely, you are absolutely correct... so... in before VIP is P2W!