Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inferni

Launch Year Poll

Poll here.

Since Crowfall has already undergone several delays (let's be honest, the 2 year development pitched in the Kickstarter was absurd), I'm curious to what the consensus is among players for how long we have to wait for the game to launch, or soft-launch as ACE keeps calling it. Feel free to explain your reasoning for your own vote as well.

Personally, I'm betting 2021-2023. Ambitious MMO development just takes a while, regardless of Engine (I'm betting Unity shaved off a year, at best). There's just simply way too many bugs and too much polish left to go for even a "soft-launch", and doing so without ironing that out is going to cause the game to flop on delivery, which you only get one shot at. Not to mention the game is STILL in Pre-Alpha, with a lot more of that and both Alpha and Beta left to go. I want the game to be better than all the Early Access titles on Steam that fall flat due to the devs one day just pushing it out the door as "good enough" when they're still hopelessly buggy messes.

Edited by Inferni

Voting for 2019 (end) or 2020 (early, mid). Honestly by their pace a good and stable version can be done by the end of this year. Assuming everything goes well. After that I'd say tackle bugs, stability, balancing, etc. seriously and then proceed into the next steps. 

Obviously 2020 would be a worst case for me and many others I know. I mean I'm still actively following but not actively testing right now as I think it will hurt my experience in the long run. Though I will test the heck out of Frostweaver. Also keep in mind that Ashes of Creation will be of relevance as well as Camelot Unchained and a few others depending on their schedule and depening on CF's schedule. The audience may differ but question is whether lower band campaigns can offer similar (not the same) experience to hold people on crowfall. Ashes of Creation may still look slugish but they at least delivered their things on time (plus minus of course). Not sure about Camelot Unchained as I'm not following it to be honest or any other game. 

Depending on the progress I'd say another big delay of Crowfall will really hurt the game. No one will acutally say something if they postpone soft launch into early 2019 but well.... again it depends on the progress over this year. 

You get the wolves...lots of wolves...and sheep that wear armor and have developed an appetite for blood soaked grass - dubanka

Even insects smell good when roasted - a random confessor

I think they can start CBT at the end of this year, given how fast they are developing the game. But all the fine tuning will take them at least another year.

I hope they will be able to soft-launch the game in early 2019. Maybe commercial launch in late 2019, early 2020? They could of course schedule soft-launch a bit earlier by simply pushing a lot of beta developent into the time between soft-launch and commercial launch. And we'll have to see how much the now save development funding and the additional employees may be able to speed things up. Once all the basic systems are in (Alpha, mid 2018?), things should go much faster, too. 

~shrug~ We'll see.

2W1ZHpA.jpg

20 minutes ago, headlight said:

2016 isn't an option? Used to be.

But 'used to be's' don't count anymore. They just lay on the floor 'til we sweep them away.

IhhQKY6.gif

End of 2016  2017 2018 for soft launch would be great! Can't shortcut on the core game, that has to be good. And can't crunch to meet a date because that sucks for employees. So, when it's done :D

tiPrpwh.png

I'm hoping for early 2019, if not a little later. I keep hearing them talk about how fast the content starts to "snowball" as they get core systems online. I'm not even going to question them on that. However, my one major concern is performance and I honestly don't think they will be able to push out the content this game needs for a good 2018 launch, while simultaneously being well optimized for the fights it's advertising. The engine will make or break this game just like every "potentially good" PvP MMO before it. Nobody wants to play a slide show no matter how great the content is. Of course I have no problem with being proven wrong. It's just that past experiences have taught me that engine work can take a long time to get everything working smoothly, even with good engineers.