Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stevencolbear

Memory Loss?

Edit: "memory loss" seemed to be a recurring theme of the Knight reveal

So, due to the fact that this is not going to be a leveling progression game but rather an ability progression game could "memory loss" have to do with each time one "dies" they lose a portion of gained abilities as opposed to losing "exp"?

Edited by stevencolbear

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness

I've proposed a "model" on how export rules would work after campaigns relating to the ability points. It could go hand with hand with the "memory loss" thing.

Just give me a second to search for that thing I said xD

Here -> http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1597-020215-hunger-week-its-about-time/page-20#entry39739

That would explain how the characters "forget" their abilities for the campaigns (letting us roll different builds of the same character on each campaign) but retain the points in the Eternal Kingdoms to keep progressing our abilities in the sandbox way.

Edited by innadril

I hope not, that would SUCK big time. I can support a loss rate for items but not for abilities. The only way I could get behind ability loss is if it were a world rule like innadril is talking about.

I hope not, that would SUCK big time. I can support a loss rate for items but not for abilities. The only way I could get behind ability loss is if it were a world rule like innadril is talking about.

I would think it would depend on how they implement it. Will there be a cap on number of abilities one can gain or not? If so lets say you gained an ability that you find either you just aren't very good at or really isn't the greatest period. After losing a "portion" or "effectiveness" of that ability, you could be eyeing another ability so you let your "memory loss" completely take that ability away so you can gain another....

If there IS indeed a cap on number of abilities gained, will "memory loss" no longer be effective as in most character leveling progression games and would you be able to somehow purposely "forget" an ability to trade it off for learning another one that you would rather have?

Mind you this is all purely speculation

If you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with truthiness

So, due to the fact that this is not going to be a leveling progression game but rather an ability progression game could "memory loss" have to do with each time one "dies" they lose a portion of gained abilities as opposed to losing "exp"?

You stole that from Log Horizon and I love it.

@innadril

So your theory implies that character skills are reset when they enter a new Campaign (Effectively a character reset), while these same characters will retain their skills when in the Eternal Kingdoms?

Sounds like a pretty fun idea.  First, strategy would be more straight forward since players start from square one upon Campaign start which would introduce build orders (Like in RTS games, where you build up your economy to excel later in the game).  Players would balance their resources and choose which skills to acquire first since skill progression is gated by time, some would choose practical combat skills, while other players would choose to quickly acquire more advanced, yet specific skills before getting the essential ones.

Now the Devs have only mentioned that characters are Eternal, so it is a possibility that this Campaign specific reset might not actually be in the game, though I certainly hope it is.  The EK are such a huge gaping hole in the puzzle, I wish the mist would lift from this mystery.

I can't wait for Thursday's update...

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

This is a terrible idea. You die so much in a PvP game stat loss would be a crippling and tedious mechanic.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Cool idea! Though I only agree with you in part. Some customization between Campaigns would be nice, however it would take away (partially) the identity of your character. If you're a master swordsman one week and a spell slinger the next there is some loss of continuity.

However under certain import rules I can see this being very fun. For example, if a particular Campaign requires skills that are unique then it doesn't make sense that your character would retain them between EK and other Campaigns.

I can't wait for Thursday's update...

So much yes.

While CYT's assumption could be true, we don't know at this point how the game will play and if we will be dying regularly, so this may not be an issue. You could mitigate the problem with having a few pre-saved builds (like Planetside 2), but then, lore-wise, that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Unless you're the Nameless One or the guy from Memento and have it tattooed all over you...

I think the initial assumption is flawed. I would think it is less Log Horizon or Planescape Torment and more just age. My theory would be that the Knight has been immortal for so long and seen and done so much that his old memories are simply that, old memories. I can barely remember my 20's. I seriously doubt I would remember hundreds of years of my personal history.

That said, the mechanic of "memory loss" could be implemented in many ways. Lore-wise it could be used to explain a rez sickness type stat penalty. And getting back out there, swinging your sword, brings back your "memory" or at least muscle memory.

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.