Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vaands

Possible Future Tank Ramification?

I really love to play as a tank in any game, just love the life, the def and the SHIELD. Yes, we can see when Gaius Aurelius talk about his weapon choices, the spear is one of them and, in the screenshot, we can see him using:

- Spear, shield and "heavy armor".

There is some other points that i would like to show:

- His Dex is the same of the new archetype, the Knight and his strength is one point higher... So, why he cant be a tank? Only because his archetype says role: Melee DPS?

- I dont know if STR is used to let damage and def higher, but i can gamble, because there is some games that do that.

- He is a centaur, he will "CHARGE"!!!!11 in the battlefield, probably in a bunch of people, so he will need a higher def, or a good set of "heavy armor" to do that.

Anyway this is only me hoping to see a centaur tank, because i think it make sense and because i would love to play as one. Tell me what you guys think.

Obs: I am new to the forum, than, if i forgot anything, pls say so

Obs2: Sorry for my bad english. 

Edited by Vaands

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

That's a great observation. I didn't see anywhere on the character creation that represented defense. I'm hoping that defense is directly tied to armor and equipment, and that certain archetypes have features that make using heavy equipment more natural than others.

But naturally, the horse man has the greatest load bearing potential of any Archetype, why wouldn't he wear great armor?

First, the big difference between a Mounted Knight and a Centaur, is that the Mounted Knight is 2 units, and the knight can be well armored and let his horse go down, but the Centaur is his horse, so he's not well armored unless all of him is armored...

A Centaur or a mounted Knight could armor themself completely, themself and their horse, but than your reducing your speeds to levels just above unmounted combat and below every other form of mounted combat...

The Centaur and the Knight would best have promotion classes which offer this option to fill the same role, by going full armor and be a slightly faster heavy armor tank. But this sacrifices other practical alternatives, like a high speed light cavalry attacker, a horse archer skirmisher who can kite and fire powerful mounted projectiles. Perhaps heavy mount armor could even exclude you from special mobility methods like crossing water and such.

I think the tank Centaur is a great promotion class choice for the Archetype which marries the heavy defense and offense of an initiator with a little better mobility. But that initial Centaur archetype is clearly no tank, he looks like light cavalry to me.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

That's a great observation. I didn't see anywhere on the character creation that represented defense. I'm hoping that defense is directly tied to armor and equipment, and that certain archetypes have features that make using heavy equipment more natural than others.

But naturally, the horse man has the greatest load bearing potential of any Archetype, why wouldn't he wear great armor?

First, the big difference between a Mounted Knight and a Centaur, is that the Mounted Knight is 2 units, and the knight can be well armored and let his horse go down, but the Centaur is his horse, so he's not well armored unless all of him is armored...

A Centaur or a mounted Knight could armor themself completely, themself and their horse, but than your reducing your speeds to levels just above unmounted combat and below every other form of mounted combat...

The Centaur and the Knight would best have promotion classes which offer this option to fill the same role, by going full armor and be a slightly faster heavy armor tank. But this sacrifices other practical alternatives, like a high speed light cavalry attacker, a horse archer skirmisher who can kite and fire powerful mounted projectiles. Perhaps heavy mount armor could even exclude you from special mobility methods like crossing water and such.

I think the tank Centaur is a great promotion class choice for the Archetype which marries the heavy defense and offense of an initiator with a little better mobility. But that initial Centaur archetype is clearly no tank, he looks like light cavalry to me.

Yes, using heavy armor is the same as reducing speed of the character, but, there is a way to make him into a full armored bullet and this is "skill´s". Skills such as charge that can make the character go in high speed against a marked enemy using buff´s that can let speed up for some time. 

Then, you can imagine a giant centaur, going in your way, full speed, full buffed (hi´s and allies), going to use a "shield bash" skill that can stun one enemy or having a AOE stun, that would be scary. That would make the centaur the perfect initiator in a open battlefield, destroying armies organization and leaving openings for the allies to explore. And the better? No one desires to take tank´s head on but, if they do, they would probably kill it, after getting spears and some other AOE skill´s damage, leaving them with low or medium hp that the centaur guild can exploit. This is of course, my imagination on a large scale battle, like GxG or FactionxFaction. 

"An ordinary archer practices until he gets it right. A Ranger practices until he never gets it wrong." -The Lost Stories  

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

LOL, AoE stun? I think he'll be stunned when him and two guys behind him are impaled from an impact charge, being tanks doesn't require you to be support, an impact charge is designed to slam defending units so hard that it deals damage no matter how bunkered down they are, with the spear, not the shield...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I know just trying to imagine AOE skil´s of other games tank´s in the Centaur, just dreaming :D

And sorry, i dint mean to say that the charge attack would be with the shield, but that after the attack is possibly to use shield stun skills to make more problems for the enemy. 
Edited by Vaands

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣

Yes yes, I'm sure he'll be stunned by a horse slamming him in the head with a shield, that hits as hard as a war hammer, I still don't get the connection between shields and cc rather than impact damage :P

If in fact he cannot deal enough damage with his shield to unman him, I'm sure he could just rear up and kick him with horse feet :3

Edited by BahamutKaiser

TBH whilst levelling I think Legionnaire's stats will move more directly into a melee dps over a tank build. IMO Legionnaire should play somewhat like the Assassin slightly less powerful but less squishy also, better at CC.

-Truthe Yashikawa

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild.  Welcome Home.

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

Found this: 

copy from FAQ combat system:

4. Does the game use the “trinity system” of class balance (tank, DPS, and healer)?

No. Some elements, yes, of course. But overall, not really. 

We have characters that are more offensive. We have characters that are more defensive. We have characters with support powers. But we made the game purposefully light on in-combat healing, to make it more deadly. 

And remember, we’ve opened up the character customization options (through Promotion classes and Disciplines) to make each character a “mixed bag” of skills and powers. Each archetype starts with pre-disposition towards a certain playstyle, but after that, the game system really opens up and allows you to adapt your character any way you like.

naxCJH.png

✣Junte-se a nós✣