Anhrez

Not all training paths are equal or even equitable

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, daladinn said:

EVERYTHING and i do mean EVERYTHING that has been done in the state of crafting has been to increase random gambling and to lower skill.

the only exception that I have seen is in the choosing of the material.

and you could also argue that stat/experiment selection has boiled down to: DAMAGE > ATTACK POWER / [or only SUPPORT POWER without damage roll for healers]. rather than the many "niche stat" options. ^_^

Edited by Tinnis

It would be more fun if the Basic Crafting tree had lots diagonal lines connecting the nodes, so you could have more choice of what to train and still get an efficient path to unlocking your specialty.

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2018 at 2:12 PM, daladinn said:

EVERYTHING and i do mean EVERYTHING that has been done in the state of crafting has been to increase random gambling and to lower skill.

the only exception that I have seen is in the choosing of the material.

the only way to actually correct this would be to remove experimentation and replace it with concentration. the crafter is concentrating on a stat that they desire. be it damage , durability , or a direct stat. this in turn can be a skill or a suite of skills that can be expanded on over time by the crafter.

also of note. the methodology we are currently seeing is "quality over quantity". my educated guess is that this will remain true and consistent. there is not , nor do I expecct to see a viable business model where trying to sell as much cheap ammo as possible will make crafting speed anything but a dead skill that your forced to take.

Honestly I think the experimentation mechanism is fine and suffers only from the lack of mass production. Its annoying to have to random roll literally every single item but keep in mind that the end goal is much more similar to the SWG system, in which you're random rolling for blueprints and mitigating RNG rather than controlling it entirely is the goal of the system.

Random rolling every single component, and then every single second tier component, and then every single sword on top of that? That's arduous and irritating. However the end product here is that you can blueprint out one good metal bar, mass produce it in a crate of several HUNDRED metal bars, at which point you've "solved" half of the RNG for subcomponents for a long while, get a good roll on a component from said bars, and you've solved that RNG, and so on up the line. With a small amount of RNG and luck you've reliably produced 20+ swords with good rolls while actually only "rolling" the equivalent RNG of 5-10 swords, and making that RNG more likely to output a good (but likely not PERFECT) result as you go.

Mass production makes RNG more of a choice in the process. You're choosing between "well this roll is pretty good, do I want to keep trying for a better roll and possibly wasting materials, or keep this one for a blueprint and stop rolling this component for a while?" rather than the only option being "roll again"

The overall goal being that mass production is the counter to RNG, and that luck and scale have a much more complex relationship than they do now. In the SWG system such mass production mechanisms made the compexity of your entire supple and production chain very important as those were a much bigger point of how reliably you could output items with a desired stat roll than how good your individual dice rolls were. Currently, without that system, luck overtakes the crafting process as you're RNG for every single roll of every single part of every single item. Ideally your dice rolls are a much smaller part in the overall output of items. Crafting speed is a huge part of that I'd imagine, as the tradeoff with mass production is usually you can get more reliable mitigation of RNG, but it takes far longer to do so. Blair already stated on a stream, for instance, that the number of experimentation rolls done on an item lengthen the blueprint's crafting time.

I think the bigger issue with crafting as is is that most of the stats are pretty boring and simply lead to building very cookie-cutter gear with a lot of false complexity rolls that do the same thing in practice even though they take up half of the crafting stats list. Like, what's interesting and fun about every single damage type having its own crafted piercing stat? We don't do that for crit chance or damage. Gear selection is directly controlled by disciplines. You put together a build based on discs, and that build dictates the optimal gear. I'd like to see gear have a slightly larger emphasis on functionality of a build than simply influencing its efficiency as it does now. All those "bonus thorns" and "bonus lifesteal" style stats for instance. Why couldn't those just... do the thing? Now I can choose between disc powers and gear for certain effects, or choose to double them up, etc. Where are the proc chances or resource return or other non damage/mitigation effects?

If I have to fault the design of the crafting system for anything its for having boring practical stat distributions that seem to exist only to buff stuff people's build already has rather than add anything interesting to it.

Edited by PopeUrban