Sign in to follow this  
ACE_Jackal

Pre-Alpha 5 Live! for March - Official Discussion Thread

Posted (edited)

has texas had daylight savings this last weekend - making this "an hour earlier" than previous streams?

e.g. will it be in ~1 hour and 10 minutes [4pm GMT / 5pm CEST]

[or ~2 hour and 10 minutes - 5pm GMT / 6pm CEST - as previous ones]

Edited by Tinnis

Just now, Tinnis said:

has texas had daylight savings this last weekend - making this "an hour earlier" than previous streams?

e.g. will it be in ~1 hour and 10 minutes

[or ~2 hour and 10 minutes]

It will be in 1 hour and 10 minutes. It's currently 10:50 EST, so it is 9:50 in Texas.

Can't wait. I though it was 5.5 when they reset the skill tree's and fixed the housing placement issue last week.  Come on launch dated.   want to hear when soft launch starts. 

Also, if VIP can't start a second race or class skill for the first few months (Time to get through the basic trees) and skill tomes and still not installed, will there be compensation or a way to save your VIP for later use.

Posted (edited)

Why not just let everyone use accessories? Seems kinda silly to have to require a discipline to use a ring or amulet; it's just a ring after all. 

I'd be okay if certain races / disciplines ENHANCED the accessories tho and gave you additional bonuses.

Edited by Helix

34 minutes ago, Helix said:

Why not just let everyone use accessories? Seems kinda silly to have to require a discipline to use a ring or amulet; it's just a ring after all.

Everyone can use them, the disciplines are to allow the use of an extra one.

@thomasblair@mhalashace what is the point of having an armour cap if you can over stack the cap and have armour pen subtract from the value above the cap?  Armour pen values are too high as is.. if you are wearing a GOOD set of leather, with someone buffed with armour pen you are hitting a naked target.  Armour pen should be capped at about 15-20% not 100%....  Hell.. even if you cap armour pen at 20% combined with an armour break on the target in leather you are hitting a target with zero mitigations...  There is no need to be able to get physical armour pen near 50%, which is possible right now.

on the topic of "seeing positive comments"

in my opinion if you reopened the patch notes to allow comments - like in the old days - these might lead to more general discussion and praise.

generally it feels "out of place" or "off topic" to do that inside say the combined bug/feedback threads i'd say...

8 minutes ago, Destrin said:

@thomasblair@mhalashace what is the point of having an armour cap if you can over stack the cap and have armour pen subtract from the value above the cap? 

It makes it so having armor above the cap is still useful for countering penetration, but not for making you immune to damage from people with no penetration. They used the same system in Shadowbane and it worked well.

2 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

generally it feels "out of place" or "off topic" to do that inside say the combined bug/feedback threads i'd say...

Feedback feels out of place in the feedback thread? :lol:

1 minute ago, moneda said:

Feedback feels out of place in the feedback thread? :lol:

on the "i like <turtles>" level yes :P

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jah said:

It makes it so having armor above the cap is still useful for countering penetration, but not for making you immune to damage from people with no penetration. They used the same system in Shadowbane and it worked well.

But when armour pen is so high and you are hitting a leather target, you are hitting a naked target... you don't see an issue there?  IMO the issue is that armour pen can get too high, so much that well crafted leather armour means absolutely nothing.. which means at end game there is no point in wearing a leather chest what so ever.

There are plenty of other ways to counter the armour pen at high armour values... not so much for leather.  Armour pen values need to come down not armour values on plate need to go up.

Edited by Destrin

5 minutes ago, Destrin said:

But when armour pen is so high and you are hitting a leather target, you are hitting a naked target... you don't see an issue there?  IMO the issue is that armour pen can get too high, so much that well crafted leather armour means absolutely nothing.. which means at end game there is no point in wearing a leather chest what so ever.

I was only commenting on the merits of an "effective cap" for armor values, not the current numbers for penetration or leather. Yea, penetration numbers are probably too high.

Posted (edited)

@thomasblair/ @mhalashace

Q: Is the tech possible for a druid using natures avatar to see some "number feedback" on either the raw or boosted damage their target is doing?

[given this is what i'll end up doing for most of my gameplay with out moving due to damage vs healing inflation]

Edited by Tinnis

After watching the last couple streams, it sounds like soft launch is coming.  Would this be alpha and beta?  

Posted (edited)

Quick feedback, positives in bold:

Making Leadership a minor is a horrible idea. The cost for equipping it in the passive tray as well as devoting training time to it is already significiant enough to impact builds. It doesn't need even more opportunitiy costs.

Seeing enemy druid orbs a "bug" is IMO a mistake. This should be a feature, colored differently than friendly orbs. I can not use orbs as area denial if nobody can see them. All other friendly ground effects are visible. All other hostile ground effects are visible. Watching people cast things with no visual indication what they're casting is poor counterplay design and hurts rather than helps the overall feel of playing my druid by making bombs "cheap" rather than "strategic" Invisible traps seem off theme for druid, as they are the domain of the ranger. Area control seems on theme for druid.

Super excited about heads on sticks.

Unpopular opinion, but I think the dust feels good now and inventivizes actually building for harvesting if you want to harvest. The new minor and potion really create a nice starting bump or way to minmax dust, and plethora of dust is a way more attractive train now.

However I feel intermediate gear should be slightly more accessible in terms of dust. The intermediate tools feel right, but the weapons and armor intended as very weak stopgaps for people feel too expensive for the people who are actually going to need to craft them. 85 dust for a full set of armor for the new/low skill player is easily an hour and a half of work for an itel that is statistically not just slightly inferior, but massively inferior to actual crafted stuff. Either bump up the stats or halve the dust cost because right now the cost/benefit for people actually crafting it (people who are broke, new, or don't know a crafter) feels out of line.

Remember to add dust to skinning again when you take the coins off skinnable mobs please.

Bandages are cool, but heal over time potions greatly suffer as a result. Can we get some alchemist love for the HoT potions?

I don't like enemies not being able to see/steal doobers. Can you refine this system so it only applies to same faction people?

Awesome QOL on intermediate tables. That's a bunch of table sockets saved for a lot of people.

Durability penalites feel quite severe compared to the amount of effort that goes in to creating items. This may fix itself with a working passive economy, but considering it is essentially inevitable you're getting deathblowed at least 70% of all deaths the towtruck penalty feels too high right now considering the number of "non optional" towtrucks this system engenders due to corpse camping or simply fighting to dominate specific map areas.

I really like the new togas. Makes me feel like our vessels were in a suicide cult before we got in them.

Thank you for fixing EK building placement.

Instant spirit banking is the best thing.

Edited by PopeUrban

So whats the difference between this and say Pre-Alpha 57, because this is getting silly