• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
setis

Cheating

Judgement  

287 members have voted

1. 1. How should cheating / botting / hacking be dealt with

• Light response - ultimately they are a small portion of the community and it doesn't matter
    • Medium response - some automated software / checks done internally to find the most prolific cheaters
    • Heavy response - Break out the ban hammer; do research on IP / matching accounts and ban them too
    • Social response - Make a system within the game that lets us deal with cheaters

One of the fastest ways I've seen a game lose players is through exploits that allow some players to get far ahead of others through exploits, hacks, or bots.  You should definitely invite some honest hackers (by honest I means one that will actually report problems rather than keeping them in their pocket to use at launch) to try and hack things as early as possible so that you aren't caught by surprise come launch time.  And when hacks do occur (let's face it, you can't catch everything), you need to be ruthless in removing people who would abuse the system.  Unfair advantages in a PvE game are annoying, but in a PvP game they are deadly, especially when you're aiming for death to have consequences.

rSHxVEY.gif

Yes, modding or automating games destroys the fun for everyone. For example, whole servers on MapleStory were largely abandoned because they were infested by cheaters. Another example: both W101 and P101 quickly lost their charm to me after I discovered how simple it was to gain massive unfair advantages by automating whole elements of their gameplay, or by exploiting security holes in the client-server interaction layer. Sure, some people chose to fight the cheaters by cheating even harder, but most of us didn't see the fun in that and moved on to other servers, and eventually other games. I can't think of a single game that I haven't left shortly after discovering cheats or experiencing someone else hack it.

I hope that right from the start, Crowfall devs acknowledge that players will be doing everything in their power to find exploits in the game, and will deal with it by devoting serious effort to constant ongoing exploit monitoring, detection, and patching.

Pm4QhLs.png

Over the years we've seen first hand the effects of a lack of preparation, or underestimating, the need for robust security. We'll be taking it very seriously and may even do as you mentioned, recruit some talented folks in the community to help us test the system. 

Always good to see such a helpful community form so fast! 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Over the years we've seen first hand the effects of a lack of preparation, or underestimating, the need for robust security. We'll be taking it very seriously and may even do as you mentioned, recruit some talented folks in the community to help us test the system. 

Always good to see such a helpful community form so fast! 

Thank you! Glad someone understands not trusting the client on everything.

gtlLXYT.png

The biggest thing that has killed MMOs for me in the past is the rampant cheating / hacking / bug using that always manages to crop up.  From the most recent experience in Archeage (macro'd housing placement, scripted leveling bots, etc), to Wildstar's porting resource mining bots, all the way back to Gear being used in PvP in Asheron's Call, there is always something that comes up to dramatically change the feeling of the game.

How do you see is the most effective way of dealing with this?  Do you embrace it (Asheron's Call is still running today as basically a test ground for botting scripts), do you go really hardcore (heavily reviewed reporting system), or something else?  

I really liked the idea behind Archeage's reporting / trial system, but it didn't go nearly far enough.  It needed three additional things: 1) The penalties need to ramp up much quicker (locking you out of your account for days on end) 2) The jury pool needed to have much more information to make their decision.  If each report from a player had a 15-30 second clip attached to it the jury could watch that would be fantastic.  3) The Jury could have the power to report false reports and inflict judgements on 'trolls'. 

If there was one thing Archeage showed us is that the player community will take time out of their playing day to sit on a Jury that actually doesn't even give them much of a reward.  

Cheat / Hack  what ever you want to call it.. one and done. post thier name, let the community know why they were banned. Hang their head from the ramparts as a warring to cheaters. No mercy.

"tell the world that it is the will of the gods that my Rome be head of all the world."

Cheat / Hack  what ever you want to call it.. one and done. post thier name, let the community know why they were banned. Hang their head from the ramparts as a warring to cheaters. No mercy.

Do you go as far as doing active research as well?  Say if someone was banned because your internal team found they were selling gold (assuming that is not allowed).  Do you then find all the accounts they send significant gold to for "no reason", and ban those as well?  

Do you go as far as doing active research as well?  Say if someone was banned because your internal team found they were selling gold (assuming that is not allowed).  Do you then find all the accounts they send significant gold to for "no reason", and ban those as well?  

If i could i would. earn the gold / items like the rest of us. The only thing the credit card should be used for is paying the subscrption. Not buying your way to the top.

"tell the world that it is the will of the gods that my Rome be head of all the world."

Agreed. I have no sympathy for cheaters. I would never give a cheater of any kind a second chance.

EOWWuhQ.png 

bots are what u consider hacking and cheating?

I would absolutely consider anything that alters the state of the game with third party tools cheating.

Yes, I would even consider putting a heavy object on your keyboard to spin around so you don't go AFK cheating.  I see sometimes these AFK scripts as the most damaging, because combined with auto enrollment in something like pvp matches allows you do 'farm" whatever losing rewards the teams get.  I've seen that in every MMO I've played in the last 10+ years.  

Hell, I personally know of someone that leveled up over a dozen accounts in WoW to max level across all classes by simply afking battlegrounds and then selling them for $250.  

I see sometimes these AFK scripts as the most damaging, because combined with auto enrollment in something like pvp matches allows you do 'farm" whatever losing rewards the teams get.  

enrollment in pvp matches? losing rewards?  :huh:

I dont think this will be that kind of game, but only time will tell

enrollment in pvp matches? losing rewards?  :huh:

I dont think this will be that kind of game, but only time will tell

Oh I completely agree - it was just an example of something very simple (AFK scripts) that can damage a game (in my opinion).  Just saying that all of those items, in my opinion, fit under cheating. 

Hi. I always thought of a game that cheating would be allowed, lets say part of meta-game or meta-plot. and probably with social response too.

I dont think this should be for this game at all. But just wanted to share an idea for another game.

-----------------------

Now to the game properly.

An in-game solution would be transfering the charachter directly to a War!!

this is the idea.

Instead of outside game punishment, once you have a cheater, transfer directly to a warzone where he could have the chance of loosing inventory items.

This would be related to the poll about loosing inventory items.

Lest put a war zone where you can loose items and send all thieves (catched by NPC guards , or even PLayer characters related to law enforcements) and

cheaters and let them beat each other like a Hunger Games.. hahaha

[Now I believe many players would like to joing for the Hunger Games too for fun :D]

Something around that..

Hi. I always thought of a game that cheating would be allowed, lets say part of meta-game or meta-plot. and probably with social response too.

I dont think this should be for this game at all. But just wanted to share an idea for another game.

-----------------------

Now to the game properly.

An in-game solution would be transfering the charachter directly to a War!!

this is the idea.

Instead of outside game punishment, once you have a cheater, transfer directly to a warzone where he could have the chance of loosing inventory items.

This would be related to the poll about loosing inventory items.

Lest put a war zone where you can loose items and send all thieves (catched by NPC guards , or even PLayer characters related to law enforcements) and

cheaters and let them beat each other like a Hunger Games.. hahaha

[Now I believe many players would like to joing for the Hunger Games too for fun :D]

Something around that..

I would stop this kind of crazy talk around here...SB players can smell fresh fish in the water and its only a matter of time....

Thank you! Glad someone understands not trusting the client on everything.

Hell, don't trust the client with ANYTHING if you can help it.  Bare minimum.

rSHxVEY.gif