Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valor

Equality In Gaming - Gamergate

http://www.bustle.com/articles/63466-im-brianna-wu-and-im-risking-my-life-standing-up-to-gamergate

There are some significant topics touched on in this article.

1. Online Hate Groups

In every game and community, there are those few individuals who attack others and harassment of women within communities far more prevalent than most would want to admit.  Our community alone has dealt with our own female members being harassed by others from our server, our alliance, and even some new additions who saw short stays within LotD.  The power of these people rests in our hands as a collective.  If we stand against this and alienate this attitude, we take away all the power these people have.

2. The Responsibility of the Company

It is not ACE's responsibility to force people to be respect minorities or others, but it is their responsibility to ensure that everyone acts respectfully of others.  Whether it is in game or on the forums, by a company like Artcraft stepping up and stating that such attrocious behavior will not be tolerated, and then taking action on those statements when the need arises, it ensures that they are taking the power away from individuals who act this way toward women or others.

3. The Government's Black Eye

Threats made online are still not considered serious enough as people have hidden behind their keyboards slinging insults and threats at each other for over two decades.  What this "Wild West" approach to the web has created is a safe haven for hate groups who hide behind masks and anonymity as they spew whatever they want to say.  It won't be a fun transition, but there needs to be changes to our laws that protect the right of free speech, while also protecting the victims such as are listed in the above article.

4. We the community

If you have members in your guild who say or treat people in this fashion, it's also on our shoulders to be the first line of defense against this level of hatred.  If you harbor them, you empower them.

Anyway, I hope folks read the article at least and it contributes, if just a little, to the treatment of women and others who are often discriminated against in the gaming industry.

Gamergate is nothing more than a bunch of basement dwellers who are mad their fedoras have yet to get them laid.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

There is NO protection right now.  How is protecting someone from being harassed/threatened, overprotecting?

It's not how a game portrays anything, it's how a community deals with individuals who go out of their way to illicit fear from females.

A bunch of nonsense.

We don't need new laws. If you don't like how a game portrays something, then don't buy the game.  

Common sense isn't very common these days.

Read the article, bro. That being said:

What the actual heck does this have to do with the GAME Crowfall?

If a group is vulnerable, then protecting it more than another group is in fact equality.

It's establishing protection for everyone?  It could easily be one group of people going on an internet assault against the guild leader of a guild who's private life was found.

It's establishing protection for everyone?  It could easily be one group of people going on an internet assault against the guild leader of a guild who's private life was found.

No argument. Right now the disconnect seems to be at the law enforcement level. Terroristic threats have always been a fiddly business, but few cop shops have cyber-crimes divisions. I think some cops would just as soon stop sending SWAT raids on dudes doing nothing more threatening than film themselves playing a video game online while wearing a rainbow sweater.

an Interesting topic for discussion...

but not directly pertinent to CF, imo...

so, it got moved....as always any Issue with said action, feel free to PM me directly or email support@crowfall.com

carry on...

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

The OP raises relevant points.  But I think the simplest answer is to ask companies to enforce their own Terms of Service (TOS).  These typically cover the sorts of issues raised here.  This allows companies to make judgment calls to get rid of the few bad apples who are driving down their image and customer base. 

If you think someone in your guild is a jerk, get a new guild. 

If someone outside your guild offends you, gank 'em.

If you can't gank 'em get help.

Congrats on the green toothpick, Doc Gonzo!

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

an Interesting topic for discussion...

but not directly pertinent to CF, imo...

so, it got moved....as always any Issue with said action, feel free to PM me directly or email support@crowfall.com

carry on...

No worries at all.  It's more industry related.

The OP raises relevant points.  But I think the simplest answer is to ask companies to enforce their own Terms of Service (TOS).  These typically cover the sorts of issues raised here.  This allows companies to make judgment calls to get rid of the few bad apples who are driving down their image and customer base.

If you think someone in your guild is a jerk, get a new guild. 

If someone outside your guild offends you, gank 'em.

If you can't gank 'em get help.

Doesn't work for the activities mentioned in the article. The people threatening the author weren't even associated with the websites she was a part of: they simply appeared out of the nether regions of the internet with an axe to grind.

This is a joke right? Gamergate has proved multiple times that a lot of the stuff they're being accused of is either made up or false. After all, that's how these people saying they're being bullied make money, they create scandals.

Yes, there are bad eggs in every community, but that doesn't erase the message that the other 99% of that community are pushing to spread. I support gamergate. I do not support extreme feminists like Anita Sarkeesian and Brianna Wu who create scandals like this for money.

I think the biggest aspect of the gamergate discussion is the shift that happens when ingame vitriol becomes out of game stalking/harassment.

Women getting hate emails on their out of game email addresses, women's real life addresses posted on gaming forums with the suggestion to go (wow I put a specific word here that meant unconsenting sex that got changed to caress.  That's actually kind of sick in not a good way. Rethink that mods.) them, phone calls with death threats etc.

A few gaming writers got targeted for harassment in ways that are illegal in most states - and it spread like wildfire. 

I do agree that ingame harassment is something that happens in a different way and more often to females than males.  A statement from ACE this early in the game would be insanely amazing and actually add quite a bit to their image from a cultural point of view.  (Yes, I said cultural. Games are a part of our culture.  Deal with the big kid concepts - it's fun, trust me.).

Thanks for the post.  Not used to finding topics like this on the forums here and it's great to see.

Edited by Oridi

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

This is a joke right? Gamergate has proved multiple times that a lot of the stuff they're being accused of is either made up or false. After all, that's how these people saying they're being bullied make money, they create scandals.

Yes, there are bad eggs in every community, but that doesn't erase the message that the other 99% of that community are pushing to spread. I support gamergate. I do not support extreme feminists like Anita Sarkeesian and Brianna Wu who create scandals like this for money.

It really is shocking how many self-proclaimed "progressive" people so quickly resort to an "all X are Y" mentality.