Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valor

Equality In Gaming - Gamergate

I am a guy and I faced covert sexual abuse from women, if they like you and you say no, they will do their best to make your life harder where possible. It works both ways really. Depends on the person and their moral traits not on the gender.

Edited by rajah

When I was in the Army sexual assault was rampant. Women were literally gettung caress left and right. Women were considered lesser humans and not worthy of harder work.

All these from these male "hero's" Hollywood portrays for you. A giant sexist hooligan waving contest.

Or for some of us, a dragging contest.

Or for some of us, a dragging contest.

I just had a wheelbarrow.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I am a guy and I faced covert sexual abuse from women, if they like you and you say no, they will do their best to make your life harder where possible. It works both ways really. Depends on the person not on the gender.

No one is saying men cannot face similar issues but it is far more likely that a women will face sexual abuse in the work place / every day life.

Again, dismissing the issues as 'irrelevant' or 'not true' does nothing to add to this conversation.  Show me some (valid) research that proves your point.

I think those women are awesome and should continue doing a great job.

However, statistically speaking those women are:

• Making less money than their male counter parts
  • Hold fewer positions of power (management and above)
  • Are more likely to face sexual abuse in the work place

Women have ALL the power.  Most men just don't realize it.

Kidding aside,

I work in one of the worst professions for women.   EMS/Fire/Police are some of the worst with sexual harassment and disrespect towards women.  Even in just my fire academy I experienced the WORST harassment, and I was 16!  But, it is getting better.  The private EMS company I work for is amazing.  I have never been discriminated against with promotions or pay rates.  There have been those few dumb guys who can't keep their mouths shut, but they get put in their place pretty quickly.

My mom had it way, way, way worse!  Even after being at the department for 14 years.  When she was going through chemo for her breast cancer she was pretty much forced to medically retire because she couldn't work on the fire engine and stayed on the ambulance.  It was their way of forcing her out.  She could've gone back to doing her job, and showing them up, once everything was done.  And she was able to perform all job duties except for the actual act of being inside the fire.  poorly made socksty ass people. 

No one is saying men cannot face similar issues but it is far more likely that a women will face sexual abuse in the work place / every day life.

Again, dismissing the issues as 'irrelevant' or 'not true' does nothing to add to this conversation. Show me some (valid) research that proves your point.

Nope, I'd say a sexually attractive person placed in a certain surrounding is more likely to eventually face abuse. Edited by rajah

Basically male disposability is as she said that men are expected to place themselves in danger or even certain death to protect the lives of women and children. The classic and most blatantly undeniable example of this is the policy for lifeboats during the days of the Titanic. "Women and children first." Or the not that old policies that women could not serve in combat positions. It goes beyond the value of life to the value of emotion. It is far more accepted when a woman cries than when a man does, and male babies have to wait much longer before their cries are responded to than female babies.

Our society has been far slower at moving away from such behaviors than it has been in granting women equality. This is largely because men don't want this to change, and most women don't really want it to change either.

Personally I wish straight male's were allowed to show a bit more raw emotion. I went through a 3 year period that I could not cry in which I suffered two breakups, one for a relationship that lasted 4 years and one that lasted about half a year. And the loss of my best friend as a friend as well. This was because I was so used to stifling my emotions that I just couldn't, even though I was weeping inside.

In the other hand the idea of not risking my neck if a female, especially one close to me, was in danger... I don't think you could force me not to.

Another big one. The draft is still only for males. men can be forced into military service at times of great need and women cannot, and you do not see any civil rights groups sueing the government over such a blatantly sexist policy.

It's something I think people need to ponder deeply. Do you really want complete gender equality in all areas?

I'm not saying women don't deserve the right to pursue their dreams, get equal pay for equal work, etc. I just think people really need to examine how they REALLY feel about gender roles. All of them.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

Ok, stop. You're not contributing to the conversation in any way and it's not necessary for you to foster a dying conversation. I seriously can't tell if you are posting or just... I don't know what.

I'm asking questions so people develop ideas rather than generalizing and posting opinions as fact. What do you think is wrong with asking people to explain arguments that they are making?

If you don't want to answer than that's fine.

One of the problems is that the medium of the internet is not a good medium to discuss these issues because they are so deep and so complex that boiling them down into 140 chars or a FB status update or even a long forum post cannot do it justice.  Hundreds of volumes have been written on the subject of gender inequality (pay, abuse, etc) over the past several hundred years; why we think we can come up with a solid answer in a post that can be read in a couple minutes is beyond me.  

In my opinion, you need to really know and understand the following before you can even begin to understand the core nature of the problem (which I don't claim to know in any definable way):

• history of nomadic tribes through 5000 B.C.
  • history of the written language
  • history of religions before the main levantine traditions emerge
  • history of religions from the levantine traditions' emergence through the middle ages
  • history of religions from the middle ages through the 1800's
  • history of religions from the late 1800's through today
  • history of european societies from the middle ages through the 1700's
  • history of women's rights across europe from the 1700's through mid-1900's
  • history of women's rights and religion in the US from 1820's through 1990's
  • an understanding of evolution
  • an understanding of evolutionary changes in mammals over time
  • an understanding of the physiology of both genders
  • a psychological understanding of why people act in certain ways (still working on that PhD)
  • an understanding of linguistical syntax and purpose
  • an understanding of humor
  • an understanding of yourself to the point where you can honestly explain why you do anything you do
  • a mind open to changing opinion
  • an understanding of logic

Once we have that, then we can look at the issue of gender inequality from a fairly complete perspective, one worthy of the issue.  Otherwise we remain locked in the eternal back and forth of "some but not all" and if/how to fix that :(

Gaunsaku

Elder, Lords of the Dead

lotd.org

male babies have to wait much longer before their cries are responded to than female babies.

I have never heard of this before. Are you refering to some sort of policy at hospitals for newborns or something? I would struggle to see how this statistic could be accurately measured if you're just referring to male babies generally.

Our society has been far slower at moving away from such behaviors than it has been in granting women equality. This is largely because men don't want this to change, and most women don't really want it to change either.

I would say this is because it was far more important and obvious to reach civil rights equality for women than it is to reach...what would this even be called, "emotional expression equality?" What you're talking about is an extremely deep social/gender role issue, which are notoriously difficult go change (for both genders). Edited by Maverick827

Basically male disposability is as she said that men are expected to place themselves in danger or even certain death to protect the lives of women and children. The classic and most blatantly undeniable example of this is the policy for lifeboats during the days of the Titanic. "Women and children first." Or the not that old policies that women could not serve in combat positions. It goes beyond the value of life to the value of emotion. It is far more accepted when a woman cries than when a man does, and male babies have to wait much longer before their cries are responded to than female babies.

Personally I wish straight male's were allowed to show a bit more raw emotion. I went through a 3 year period that I could not cry in which I suffered two breakups, one for a relationship that lasted 4 years and one that lasted about half a year. And the loss of my best friend as a friend as well. This was because I was so used to stifling my emotions that I just couldn't, even though I was weeping inside.

In the other hand the idea of not risking my neck if a female, especially one close to me, was in danger... I don't think you could force me not to.

Another big one. The draft is still only for males. men can be forced into military service at times of great need and women cannot, and you do not see any civil rights groups sueing the government over such a blatantly sexist policy.

It's something I think people need to ponder deeply. Do you really want complete gender equality in all areas?

I'm not saying women don't deserve the right to pursue their dreams, get equal pay for equal work, etc. I just think people really need to examine how they REALLY feel about gender roles. All of them.

This is why extreme feminism is a dumb cause.  Most, if not all, of those women wouldn't want this to change, either.  They wouldn't want to be drafted, or to not be able to get on that lifeboat first.  In my opinion, they don't want EQUALITY - they want to be treated BETTER than men.  They want all the benefits without the negatives.  The reasoning behind these things (you know, kids are young and are our future and women produce the childrens)  is sound.... especially for back in the olden days.  

There is no way that I could be a stay at home mom, I'd lose my mind.  I took 11 weeks off from work (luckily I had that much vacation/sick time saved up) for my maternity leave... and I spent the last 3 weeks hanging out at work.  I pay 10K a year to send my daughter to a private preschool so she can learn and have great childcare, and so that I can have my sanity.  So, of course, I want equality in the workplace and with big items such as voting.  I want my voice to be heard... but no, I don't want to be able to be drafted or any of that.  Personally, I'd much rather make 0.77$ less than a guy if it means I don't have a chance of being drafted. lol.  I'll take the good with the bad, thank you!

I have never heard of this before. Are you refering to some sort of policy at hospitals for newborns or something? I would struggle to see how this statistic could be accurately measured if you're just referring to male babies generally.

I am going to make an assumption here, as a parent, so I *could* be wrong...

Parents are less likely to immediately check on a male toddler after falling down and crying than a female toddler because "boys have to be tough".  They should just "walk it off".  Girls are "babied" while boys are forced to "toughen up".  Now, obviously, that is not the case in ALL households or cultures.  But, it is how a lot of guys I know were treated and raised. 

I regret liking your last post.

Why?

The draft will probably never happen again and its a terrible thing to begin with.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Those are my personal opinions.  I'd *personally* rather that than be drafted.  There is a REASON I didn't join the military and I'd rather not have to.  That is all I'm saying.  Not saying pay inequality is right, and I've never had to deal with it, or that the draft is right.  

Edited by mal

Parents are less likely to immediately check on a male toddler after falling down and crying than a female toddler because "boys have to be tough".  They should just "walk it off".  Girls are "babied" while boys are forced to "toughen up".  Now, obviously, that is not the case in ALL households or cultures.  But, it is how a lot of guys I know were treated and raised. 

I think this does depend on the age certainly (an infant is an infant) however, it is feasible that boys are seen as "tougher" in their parents eyes at a certain age. I have a boy and we go running no matter what (and the speed wouldn't be any quicker if it was a girl), but he is only 5 months old. Maybe when he is a little older I might handle it different.  Interesting thoughts though.

LW_sig_concept2_zpsgdrsfl7n.jpg

I am going to make an assumption here, as a parent, so I *could* be wrong...

My girl's actually tougher than my boy lol. But she has also been treated like a kid and not a girl since she was born. Sure, she gets bows and Hello Kitty crap but she can punch pretty hard.

My girl's actually tougher than my boy lol. But she has also been treated like a kid and not a girl since she was born. Sure, she gets bows and Hello Kitty crap but she can punch pretty hard.

That is how it should be, IMO.  Less likely to have a guy try anything stupid with her when she is older.... in my experience.