Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valor

Equality In Gaming - Gamergate

Yeah, 9/11 definitely brought out the patriot in people. I joined at a time when people could choose the Marines instead of jail. Made for some interesting roommates lol.

I joined in 2003, and sure enough both of my roommates were in the USMC instead of jail. (both were kicked out for drug use, so in the end it all worked out)

Edited by valor

I think out volunteer military, modern equipment, and wonderful military spending will be enough.

Fun fact. $674 billion was spent on the U.S. military in 2012. The National Cancer Institute reports an average of $4.9 billion spent on cancer research in the last 6 years, so I'll use that figure for 2012. The number of cancer deaths in 2012 (8.2 million) was six and a half times the number of deaths caused by the entire War on Terror (from 2001 to 2013, using the highest estimate). Compare that to the military budget being over 137 times the cancer research budget. Yeah.

Edited by txteclipse

Fun fact. $674 billion was spent on the U.S. military in 2012. The National Cancer Institute reports an average of $4.9 billion spent on cancer research in the last 6 years, so I'll use that figure for 2012. The number of cancer deaths in 2012 (8.2 million) was six and a half times the number of deaths caused by the entire War on Terror (from 2001 to 2013, using the highest estimate). Compare that to the military budget being over 137 times the cancer research budget. Yeah.

I'll just throw this out there to stir the pot:  There's no money in a cure.

Discuss.

Do not agree about pay, no matter how many times people yell about it, but totally agree with you about the respect.  It takes a LOT of hard work, and putting up with a lot of horse shize to eventually gain the respect of some of the people...but it will never be gained by all because, apparently, females are just silly little things and need to be in the kitchen making a sandwich, or they are ball busting bitches who need to be taken down a notch, and then led back in to the kitchen to make sandwiches.

That's been going on forever, and I don't see that changing any time soon...if ever.

Warning: anecdotes.

Considering I work in IT with a majority of women, I'd say something has to be changing somewhere.

My classes in college were pretty bad; I think there were three women out of ~30 total students (everyone took pretty much the same IT courses, so it was essentially the same group traveling from class to class), but after getting into the workplace, things flipped around.

Maybe I just got lucky, but there's like zero hostility any where I've ever worked. People are just adults. They show up, work, and then go home. I'd like to think this is normal.

Warning: anecdotes.

Considering I work in IT with a majority of women, I'd say something has to be changing somewhere.

My classes in college were pretty bad; I think there were three women out of ~30 total students (everyone took pretty much the same IT courses, so it was essentially the same group traveling from class to class), but after getting into the workplace, things flipped around.

Maybe I just got lucky, but there's like zero hostility any where I've ever worked. People are just adults. They show up, work, and then go home. I'd like to think this is normal.

I think this is *mostly* normal.  Especially now-a-days.  Generational difference, IMO.  Seems like each generation is becoming more tolerant than the last of all sorts of differences.  I hope that continues!

I think this is *mostly* normal.  Especially now-a-days.  Generational difference, IMO.  Seems like each generation is becoming more tolerant than the last of all sorts of differences.  I hope that continues!

I've seen this as well in many regards.  How children are raised helped determines how they treat others.  Nobody was born racist/sexist/ect.  Hopefully we can continue the progress.

My girl's actually tougher than my boy lol. But she has also been treated like a kid and not a girl since she was born. Sure, she gets bows and Hello Kitty crap but she can punch pretty hard.

The one on the right... that one's the boss. She instinctively knows to go for the crotch when she is threatened with bodily harm. I will not change that :)

image.jpg

The one on the right... that one's the boss. She instinctively knows to go for the crotch when she is threatened with bodily harm. I will not change that :)

OH MY GOD THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!  AHHHHH.  Especially your girl!  Ughh!  Look at that smile!!

My turn:

10154225_10203415084278783_8848539070103

Baby Mal.  She is 2.  :)

Jeez, she looks like trouble.  Good luck in 16 years.

She is!  Pain in my rear.  Xanther always says, "They say kids are twice as bad as we were as kids... good luck!"  

This is constant (if I even start to say 'no'):

10270785_10203624685118673_8505110915226