Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
valor

Equality In Gaming - Gamergate

Discrimination is not justifiable, and when we try to justify it, we are simply making excuses for it, which enables its existence.

Discrimination is TOTALLY justifiable. We discriminate every day for a thousand different reasons. Some people discriminate on the basis of race or gender, while others discriminate on the basis of religion, education, political doctrine or fashion sense. Discrimination is simply the application of one's preferences to their decision making. When you talk about eliminating discrimination or making it unjustifiable, you're talking about a tyranny so vast it encompasses our very thoughts.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Discrimination is TOTALLY justifiable. We discriminate every day for a thousand different reasons. Some people discriminate on the basis of race or gender, while others discriminate on the basis of religion, education, political doctrine or fashion sense. Discrimination is simply the application of one's preferences to their decision making.

This type of umbrella definition of discrimination is often unproductive for discourse because of its lack of nuance. Arguing semantics can be productive sometimes, however. What word do you want to use instead of discrimination to discuss the false assumptions people make based on societal stereotyping?

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Discrimination is TOTALLY justifiable. We discriminate every day for a thousand different reasons. Some people discriminate on the basis of race or gender, while others discriminate on the basis of religion, education, political doctrine or fashion sense. Discrimination is simply the application of one's preferences to their decision making.

I'm going to lazily pull an explanation of discrimination off the internet:

Discrimination is action that denies social participation or human rights to categories of people based on prejudice. This includes treatment of an individual or group based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated".

Edited by valor

Discrimination is not justifiable, and when we try to justify it, we are simply making excuses for it, which enables its existence.

Nope, you can justify WHY something exists without "making excuses for it".  To address a problem you must truly understand it, if you refuse to take that step the chance of addressing it effectively is much less likely. 

Thanks for your post, I study psychology. Can you elaborate on "environment will impose upon" please? I want to understand you better.

Edit: for clarity, I actually was thanking you. When I reread this, I thought it might have sounded sarcastic or condescending and did not mean that tone.

Your environment and your experiences within your environment will to varying degrees influence your psychology, behavioral patterns, way of being.

Everything around you from the moment you are conceived.

Okay. You are talking about a making sense of the collection of experiences a person has, I think.

If you admit the varying degrees of influence, then can you hypothesize what experiences might have high degrees of influence?

Edit: for the sake of code of conduct for these forums, I am going to disengage from this thread. If you want to continue our conversation in a private thread, I'd be happy to. If not, cheers!

Edited by mctan

Okay. You are talking about a making sense of the collection of experiences a person has, I think.

If you admit the varying degrees of influence, then can you hypothesize what experiences might have high degrees of influence?

In what context?

This type of umbrella definition of discrimination is often unproductive for discourse because of its lack of nuance. Arguing semantics can be productive sometimes, however. What word do you want to use instead of discrimination to discuss the false assumptions people make based on societal stereotyping?

I don't care if people want to use societal stereotyping. I want many exclusive communities and societies, rather than one large all-inclusive society. Discrimination, prejudice and exclusion all contribute toward that end.

I'm going to lazily pull an explanation of discrimination off the internet:

Discrimination is action that denies social participation or human rights to categories of people based on prejudice. This includes treatment of an individual or group based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated".

What exactly are you calling "human rights" and where are they derived from? Social participation is a broad category, but in response to the way it's meant in this definition, I'd say that I don't believe that individuals are entitled to social participation wherever they happen to find themselves.

Edited by soulein

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Edit: for the sake of code of conduct for these forums, I am going to disengage from this thread. If you want to continue our conversation in a private thread, I'd be happy to. If not, cheers!

I don't care if people want to use societal stereotyping. I want many exclusive communities and societies, rather than one large all-inclusive society. Discrimination, prejudice and exclusion all contribute toward that end.

Interesting worldview, and I'll just say the above edit to you too. Thanks for the conversation.

The good tr0lls are banned already. js

I'd show you who they are but they removed the ability to find members by search lol.

But the really good t-rolls survived.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Nah. They just logged off until the monkey was put back in his cage. Then they got promoted....

Untrue. I am yet to be green.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Thanks.  He has pretty much killed my ability to game like I used to, but it's been worth it. I just love seeing him do something new for the first time.

Yeah, I fully understand.

Just teach him how to game with you.  Obviously.   ;)

I actually gave my son one of those consoles that play SNES and NES games to give him an appreciation of old school games (in addition to his 360).

Mine are old enough that they require permission to share their images. I asked if I could share here:

Teen: Hell no. 

Tween: If I can wear my Slenderman morph suit. 

Oh well. 

Hahahah.  Nice.  I personally don't and won't put pictures of my kids up on the internet.  Partially because my daughter is pretty and at an age that half of the guys on here would say inappropriate stuff to/about her.  Then I'll be forced to kill them.  =)

(Slightly edited.)

Edited by rhone

Yeah, I fully understand.

Just teach him how to game with you.  Obviously.   ;)

I actually game my son one of those consoles that play SNES and NES games to give him an appreciation of old school games (in addition to his 360).

Hahahah.  Nice.  I personally don't and won't put pictures of my kids up on the internet.  Partially because my daughter is pretty and at an age that half of the guys on here would want her number.

Okay, that's actually like 99% of the reason.

Totally agree that younger girls need protection from some of these unsavory predators. They just don't need to be dragged and kicked to the gutter to lower their self esteem. Every girl is someone's daughter,  < that right there is worth bearing in mind. If some of these males had daughters of their own it would reshape their thoughts. Only the ones with extreme mental issues would want their own daughters kicked to the curb and trampled.

288mqgz.png