Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
orange

Original Ideas we want in Crowfall

I am still playing wow and the garrison is awesome. What would make it better if it was not instances and if it was guild/ community controlled land. So say someone starts a little village they had to pay X ammount of money and resources. Now let's say a player named Joe wants invest in this village as well. He puts in X ammount of resources. So eventually this town is established etc. Now let's say Joe and I are the only ones who invested. We would each get titles for said village and privileges. Of course this area should also be inhabited by npc's. Anyway to make a long story short. We should be able to expand our territory. Against NPC towns and player towns. We should have soldiers as well that can be equipped with specific armour. What I mean by this is if we have mines on our lands we can train heavy soldiers. But say some other player or NPC town with a vast forest at their disposal they could make longbow men. This would all turn into player run factions. That is the ultimate fantasy experience. Only game to pull that off to date is eve online. That I know of. We should also be able to trade with people etc. Economy player made crafted items all that. Give the players the ability to form an empire and lose it all if they cannot manage it effectively.

I'm hoping the combat system won't be another target-to-attack or turn-based system.

I've always loved combat systems where you have to aim, which takes actual skill. That's the one thing I want in this game.

Original enough? I hardly ever see that kind of combat style compared to the other two.

If the combat turns out to be action based, in the vein of Monster Hunter or Dark Souls, one this I would insist on, is actually dangerous monsters.

Where even a regular enemy can cut you nipples off if you underestimate them.

But where the massive, colossal beasts are common enough, and extremely dangerous.  Sort of like the BAM's from Tera, but that actually move around the map and make their presence known.  Like attacking towns, hunting other monsters, and won't just sit around waiting for you to engage them, they'll hunt you down.

Not only should they take a beating, each taking several minutes to down even if you know how to fight it, but where you may not even be expected to win your first time fighting them as you have to learn their move set.  And thous are just the regular size monstrosities, they should just get bigger and crazier then that.

So that even in a PvP centric game, the mobs are still a threat to everyone.

Otherwise you could be in the middle of a PvP skirmish and a Tigerex could jump right in the middle of it and kill everyone.

That would be epic.

I'm hoping the combat system won't be another target-to-attack or turn-based system.

I've always loved combat systems where you have to aim, which takes actual skill. That's the one thing I want in this game.

Original enough? I hardly ever see that kind of combat style compared to the other two.

Thats because it is not a plausible way to make a true group based fantasy mmo game. Darkfall did it, and it failed.

The FPS setup is great for duals, and small scale pvp, but when you are in a battlefield, surrounded by hopefully hundreds of people, you have no other senses than sight, do you want no way of telling what is coming up behind you?

Aiming while moving does take more skill, this is true, but if you have your left hand on your wasd keys, your right hand aiming, which hand are you using to cast or use powers? Basically, I have seen a lot ask for a more realistic combat mode, where they aim, they move, they jump... with all of this going on, when does the time where you spent time developing a character come in? This is how you end up with cookie cutter characters, and people with any common sense would dump all their points into passive skills, weapons skills, and resistant skills, so they can spend more time aiming, and less time using their character.

Boring.

k653rIm.png

For the game to be meaningful and for people to want to group up there has to be a way to include all playertypes  that want to play together.

1) How do you make Crafting meaningful? Make the best gear available by crafting. But it has to be a circle of need. Crafters can make gear that improves everyone 's play (even crafter players and those who want to trade between towns). Traders can expand a crafter's customer base by sharing a portion of the sales. Players interested in combat can protect the Traders from PvE and/or PvP. Combat-focused players can also venture deep into the harderst territories and locate tough bosses that drop specialty gear crafters can deconstruct into more powerful resources. All player types can take part in the old "shadowbane-like" mines.

2) Dynamic group content: Instead of copying shadowbane mines, make it more beneficial to bring pure crafter characters to them (some crafting bonus) as well as traders (to move the crafted material while at the mines). This creates a HUGELY impressive amount cooperation and it doesn't need to include PvP. Creatures are attracted to shiney things, so the more expensive you cart of goods looks, the more likely you'll have to fight your way back to the guild bank.

3) Bottom-line: Make what players do the most important part of the game. Crafters should make the best gear for players. Traders should generate the greatest growth of money by extending the customer-base of multiple crafters. Combat players should focus on protecting these types throughout all aspects of gameplay.

4) But... I don't want to join a guild: Be a mercenary or be the one that hires the mercenary players by awarding contracts. Early on this should be more of a PvE endeavor until you're in an area where PvP type gameplay really matters...because it shouldn't be everywhere. It wouldn't make sense.

Thats because it is not a plausible way to make a true group based fantasy mmo game. Darkfall did it, and it failed.

The FPS setup is great for duals, and small scale pvp, but when you are in a battlefield, surrounded by hopefully hundreds of people, you have no other senses than sight, do you want no way of telling what is coming up behind you?

Aiming while moving does take more skill, this is true, but if you have your left hand on your wasd keys, your right hand aiming, which hand are you using to cast or use powers? Basically, I have seen a lot ask for a more realistic combat mode, where they aim, they move, they jump... with all of this going on, when does the time where you spent time developing a character come in? This is how you end up with cookie cutter characters, and people with any common sense would dump all their points into passive skills, weapons skills, and resistant skills, so they can spend more time aiming, and less time using their character.

Boring.

You get cookie cutter builds because the development allows it, not because there's twitch gameplay. Make passives more "short buff" active skills if you want, then you'll have to remember to recast them more often and probably every fight. It's all part of building your character though.

I'd like to see spell casting as complicated as the mage in the new Gauntlet game when compared to the other characters. Magic should be as difficult to cast as it is powerful. One way to do this that I thought about several years ago is to do what UO did and separate the magic levels into "Circles". Circle 1 is the weakest and easiest to cast. Circle 10 would be something like group teleportation. Each Circle would really be 1 lvl of a mini-game. I thought about an entire combat system for this type of thing, but it'd take a bit more to explain.

Then I would just make a tank that hit hard, with no abilities, I would jump around and strafe like crazy, so you couldnt hit me with a spell ever, get lucky enough to hit you 3 times, and you're dead. Sounds like a blast to play.

k653rIm.png

I know what I don't want -- mandatory PvP or not being able to solo.  This makes me skeptical but I'm keeping an open mind and see no reason not to try out the game in beta even if it does turn out to be those things.  I hope they surprise us all and it's much more than just that.

Pets and mounts but I do not want to see pets become what they've become on Wizard101.  How about statless pets or at least stats that come when pet acquired (by whatever means) just like the rest of your gear.  None of this milking us for rl money for a pet that CI does!

Quite the opposite, they aren't trying to make a perfect MMO for everyone, but for the PvP based crowd.

If I recall correctly, they are not trying to make the perfect MMO. They are making a MMO that won't appeal to everyone, and won't revolve around killing mobs. It's based around PvP. On that note, I would hope to see something like a battle of Alliances.

What I've gathered from various concept art, there will be a battle of kingdoms, each with their own banner representing them. There will be magic and sorcery. Treachery and defeat.

This certainly won't be a MMO where everything is handed to you. I like a challenge, but not everyone does, and the Crowfall team knows this. They aren't going to be able to please everyone, and they know that.

Again, with the assumptions.  They have not said that it's PvP game.  Everyone is just assuming that.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

Again, with the assumptions.  They have not said that it's PvP game.  Everyone is just assuming that.

The reasons people are assuming that it'll be mostly PvP because they say this line:

I want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose.

Specifically the "against players" part. Now whether that means you're in combat against players or just competing against players in other ways. Like to gain the throne, might not just be killing everyone else off, but gaining alliances with players and npc factions, questing to uncover secrets, etc. But the most straightforward assumption is against players via combat, aka PVP.

A nourishment system!  Something similar to those found in Minecraft and DayZ, except maybe not playing as major a role.  It would give players something to do besides killing other players, haha.

Stardust Green

I have seen a lot of people who seem to be coming from the same game suggesting that this game be full of wonderful PvE with the bountiful quests. Why not play any one of the thousands of other MMOs that allow you to do this, and read what this site says. I have no desire to water this thing down with people who want protection from griefers.

k653rIm.png

Then I would just make a tank that hit hard, with no abilities, I would jump around and strafe like crazy, so you couldnt hit me with a spell ever, get lucky enough to hit you 3 times, and you're dead. Sounds like a blast to play.

Obviously you have a very simplistic and limited idea of how FPS/TPS twitch combat can work and how numerous abilities can be throw in with wsad and mouse movement.

Obviously you have a very simplistic and limited idea of how FPS/TPS twitch combat can work and how numerous abilities can be throw in with wsad and mouse movement.

I really truely don't.I just think that a game based on duels seems super carebare, and that FPS leads to duel only fights.

I have an issue with FPS style gvg games, in that in a large scale fight, FPS removes all stragegy and becomes a large battle field of 1v1 duels.

k653rIm.png

I'd like to see a completely new type of game. Each faction has a castle. No NPCs. No coins unless the leaders in the castle hire someone to mint them. Make crafters worth something. Make land grabs the 'end-game' you can start with. Take land with a resource and protect it for your castle/city-state. Add player housing that has to be built with resources and can be destroyed by mobs/bosses. No levels, no classes. Hidden skill based system where there is no min/maxing. Let the players run the economy with direct trades instead of an auction house unless a castle has a player stand and run the auction house *smile*. Allow the players become King or President or whatnot, wether by elections or combat, depending on the system the players put in place. Mobs have drops that make sense. Let goblins carry a rock or stick instead of a Broadsword +5. If they do carry something like the sword, let them use it. Let mobs and Bosses do more than stand around. World Bosses could roam till they find a place they like, even if the land is currently occupied. PvP full loot. Magical healing that draws upon the 'mana' of the person being healed and heals depending on the skill of the healer. Use food and drink for more than just a buff. Shall I go on?

I just love what I'm reading here. The thing is players will take advantage on every thing they can, the only way you can do some of the stuff you are saying is with a Role Playing community, not the so called "RPers" but the old-RPers (NWN1-like).

But there's a lot to do. I have a similar concept of game you are talking about in my head.

5roh8Km.png

Might I add that when you have large group fights, the support characters make it such that my over simplified meat tank will go in an destroy your mage while you are trying to figure out how to aim and cast on something that is moving quickly and going to hit you hard.

k653rIm.png

I really truely don't.I just think that a game based on duels seems super carebare, and that FPS leads to duel only fights.

I have an issue with FPS style gvg games, in that in a large scale fight, FPS removes all stragegy and becomes a large battle field of 1v1 duels.

What about a single spawn point in each castle? 12 total in the whole game. That would remove a lot of the carebear duels unless they do them right at the spawn. Forget duels, let raiding someone else's town be worth it or a huge fail depending on which side wins. No more zergs because of endless respawn close to the fight

I want to be able to make crows fall from the sky, piercing my enemies with their beaks.

No seriously, I would love to see some unorthodox magic and combat. Jumping over shieldwalls, throwing any kind of weapon, digging a hole and laying there in ambush. That sort of thing.

While your original crow ability isn't an original idea, I am all for other unorthodox magic abilities along those same lines.

A Murder of Crows "Summons a flock of crows to attack your target over the next 15 sec. If the target dies while under attack, A Murder of Crows' cooldown is reset."

I have seen a lot of people who seem to be coming from the same game suggesting that this game be full of wonderful PvE with the bountiful quests. Why not play any one of the thousands of other MMOs that allow you to do this, and read what this site says. I have no desire to water this thing down with people who want protection from griefers.

Same thing could be said for all you assuming this is PvP game.  Why not go play one of the thousands of others out there?  This one is supposed to be something new and different so, hopefully, it will be something neither side is expecting and something other than BORING endless PvP to compete against one another.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.