Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody Playing Heroes Of The Storm?

Helix

I used to play it but got bored since there was no ranked and i have played Dota since the WC3 mods early days so i cant keep the interest up in MOBAs if i dont have something to work on (ranking up) so i quit and was planning to come back when ranked game modes came out but i havent patched it yet.. but i have to say the lost vikings video made me wanna check it out again! coolest hero in any moba ever! :D

I tried it out after getting into the alpha. I always hope to find a MOBA that I actually enjoy - I've tried to get into Dota 2, League of Legends, SMITE, Dawngate, and a bunch of others. None of them hold my interest for long. 

Heroes of the Storm, sadly, was no exception.

Things I did like about it: no having to manage items, and shared leveling with your team.

But like all MOBAs I've tried, it had no staying power for me. I think I just need to learn my lesson and not play them.

Formerly Scin Karetyr, a native of Chilastra in Star Wars Galaxies

Any major differences with other MOBA games? 

In general I'm not a big fan of the clickfest, guess that's why Smite is the only one that kept me playing for a little bit.

• 3 weeks later...

saw it, laughed at it, uninstalled it

Why did you laugh at it? I admit when I first heard about the game it seemed a little strange, as I have always wanted more complexity within games rather than less, but Heroes of the Storm has made huge strides since first announced. The game in its current state is way better than it was just 6-8 months ago, and is constantly improving. Hero design is much more fun than I anticipated, with heroes feeling like a mix of the best skills/subsets of heroes/champions from DoTA and League. You get combinations like Valla, who has the Ashe multi-shot, the Katarina bouncing blade, Vayne's dash, and Fiddlestick's ultimate. 

It's actually a really fun experience when playing with friends, although many people do dislike playing alone since your individual contribution to your team's success is less than that of other MOBAs. 

Any major differences with other MOBA games? 

In general I'm not a big fan of the clickfest, guess that's why Smite is the only one that kept me playing for a little bit.

It's highly objective/team-fight based. There's no gold, and thus no items, so the entire game is about pushing lanes and killing your opponents. You get team-wide experience for being near creeps when they die, taking jungle camps, killing structures, and killing enemies. You also start with all of your basic abilities and instead gain talents as you level, which modify your abilities. You have a choice of two ultimates at level 10 which gives you flexibility in how you want to progress based on the game. 

It's fun because there's less of the boring 20 minutes of creep farming, and the fights are really action-y since all of the heroes are very impactful. You basically go to lane, brawl with your lane opponent for awhile, roam and gank other lanes, hit level 10 to get your ultimate, fight over objectives (shrines, curses, etc.), and group and push. Games are also very quick, lasting around 20 minutes on average but can be as short as 6-8 minutes (can also be as long as 50+ minutes in my personal experience, but that's like 2/700 games). 

Because of the team-wide experience, your individual contribution is lessened since you could be 10/0 and someone else on your team could be 0/10 and you'd be at the same "power-level" since your experience is the same and there are no items. This makes it harder to carry, but also harder to throw. For this reason I do recommend playing with friends. 

Currently Playing - Dirty Bomb, Archeage, & Skyforge

AMEqAAy.jpg

I am a massive DOTA 2 fan. I always will be. But as I said to friends on vent the other night "Guys, I think heroes is my favorite moba to play on a regular basis" 

My nightly fun ratio with heroes is so much higher than that of previous mobas. And gosh is their ranked mode draft screen is pretty. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Why did you laugh at it?

Because I personally was shocked, that there was such a big demand for this game.

It's so extremely simplistic, that I'm baffled that players are willing to give up so much control, when there are "better" versions of this type of game, namely DOTA and LoL.

I am a massive DOTA 2 fan. I always will be. But as I said to friends on vent the other night "Guys, I think heroes is my favorite moba to play on a regular basis" 

My nightly fun ratio with heroes is so much higher than that of previous mobas. And gosh is their ranked mode draft screen is pretty. 

I'm not really surprised that people enjoy the game and sibjectively have more fun.

The pressure that players put on themselves when playing other MOBAs is immense. Enjoying the game comes 2nd nowadays.

You see the proscene and everybody thinks they need to copy it and everybody needs to know about every little trick that was pulled 3h ago in this and that league of this and that country. If you don't your whole team will give you poorly made socks, wish you cancer and custard your grandmother.

Now compare this to HOTS, where you basically can't mess up anymore. All that pressure is gone, and all of a sudden it becomes about fun again. Something every game actually should be about. It's just that many people have forgotten that. And the current MOBAs aren't really doing anything to emphasize it either.

Now compare this to HOTS, where you basically can't mess up anymore. All that pressure is gone, and all of a sudden it becomes about fun again. Something every game actually should be about. It's just that many people have forgotten that. And the current MOBAs aren't really doing anything to emphasize it either.

But this is wrong, entirely wrong. There are less instances where you can mess up because of the removal of last-hitting, but messing up can actually hurt your team way, way worse than in other MOBAs. 

Take Sky Temple for example (it's a map in Heroes of the Storm). The map is gigantic, and is based around three "shrines" which spawn at designated times. The team that holds control of the shrine gets an ancient burst of power which destroys objectives (towers, gates, forts, and eventually the core). 

If you're playing Sky Temple, the second rotation is a single shrine on the bottom side of the map. If you don't rotate properly, your team will lose the fight 4v5 giving up a lot of experience. Then, your team will lose 2x turrets, 1x gate, and the entire fort. Now the enemy team is roughly 2 levels ahead. I can't remember the exact level at which you'll normally be at this point in the game, but it could be a level 8 to level 10 difference. Now the enemy team has heroic abilities, groups as 5, pushes, and wipes you while taking a second fort. Now you can't contest the next shrines, and the game is possibly over.

In League of Legends if you fail to rotate, maybe your team loses a few kills (they don't have to fight, they can retreat and farm - in Heroes there's 0 reason to farm like this so players won't even bother to retreat), and then maybe you lose dragon. Now you're done half a level in experience and a few hundred gold per person? The snowball effect has begun, but it's not nearly as drastic.

Of course every scenario is different, and subjective, and relies on human error such as your team vying to fight 4v5, but in a game where experience and objectives are actually everything, it's easy to imagine how your positioning and errors can greatly impact your team. Heroes of the Storm is incredibly snowbally in that regard, especially on specific maps like Sky Temple and Haunted Mines where you can win in 8-10 minutes. 

The thing about Heroes of the Storm though is that you don't feel that constant pressure because you're not made to feel bad if you miss a last hit, or take a little extra harass. You can return to base and get back faster because you have a mount, or use the fountain which allows you to heal in lane on a long cooldown. If you gank and it's unsuccessful you don't feel like you've wasted the time because someone else is soaking your lane and getting all of the resources anyways. It's a more casual feeling experience that has incredible competitive potential. 

I would recommend giving it a chance, as I think you'd like it. 

Currently Playing - Dirty Bomb, Archeage, & Skyforge

AMEqAAy.jpg