Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/12/15 - The Confessor, God History & Pricing Faq

So we need to think of ways to curb it if that's the case. 

it's pretty much impossible in a game economy, because you simply cannot regulate how much additional money is being added to the circulation.

Every player basically has his own money printing machine by farming mobs.

Here come the money sinks. The game will need mechanics that pull money out of the system.

In Crowfall I see gear detsruction/decay/whatnot be a huge factor.

I'm not a fan of offline training.  It turned me off of eve because the offline training was so important that it didn't feel like there was a point to actually playing the game.  If they're committed to it then hopefully they can avoid that pitfall.

As far as people trading currency for vip services and vip services to other players, the money from outside the game coming into the game happens regardless; it's just a matter of whether or not AC wants to control it or let the black market decide.  Too many third parties out there are too skeezy, too much stuff gets stolen and there are too many headaches; it's the responsible adult thing to moderate that process inside the game transparently.

I feel if it is B2P with an optional sub then it should be purely optional stuff with the sub, not anything to affect gameplay which character slots and queue priority do.

The main problem is that if there's no real advantage in paying 15$US per month, I will just forget about it and pay only to buy the 50$ copy.

It must be very difficult to find what should be included in the 15$ subscription : attract those who are willing to pay the extra $ while pleasing those who are not.

Devs:  Love the pricing structure.  Thank you for not making this pay to win.  I am over it with pay to win games.  I don't mind spending some money for a game, but I shouldn't have to spend everything just to be able to get ahead.

Confessor is fine and all, but seeing how weak it is, I'm doubtful I'll be playing it.  I realize the Knight is dumb as a box of rocks, but it still appeals to me more.

And thank you for the lore. 

Exactly.  And they were very specific that COSMETIC items might be available outside of gameplay through a cash shop.  People will go to great lengths for personal vanity - might as well use that to fund the game.  Just look at GW2 which is extremely cosmetic driven (which btw also has a box cost entry fee with no required sub).

You are correct.  People are indeed vain, want to look a certain way, and they will pay for it.  

Question, because it's not entirely clear, to me at least. As I Understand it, you will have to purchase the game for 50.00 USD. The VIP is 15.00 USD a month above and beyond the purchase price of the original client. 

Some are making it sound as if you can either Pay to Buy with no further obligation or do a VIP sub as a completely different model. Clarification anyone?

BTW, Nice update going into the weekend. Hit me with that VIP Hammer guys..just take my damned cash already!

How I understood it:  Everyone who plays will be paying the $50 for the game.  If you want more character slots, more training slots, and you want to see what the devs have been up to lately, you pay an additional $15/month.  You do not HAVE to pay for that VIP ticket, and you can still thoroughly enjoy the game.

My concerns:

1.  How much for a lifetime subscription/pre-alpha crowd-funding package!  Hook me up!

2.  Allowing people to sell in-game cosmetic or subscription items is pay to win.

3.  Coding cosmetic and pay to win items takes away from dev time coding the actual game!!!

How on earth is me changing what my character looks like considered "pay to win"?  If I decide to change the appearance of my gear, or looks, in what way does that make my character stronger?

It doesn't.  This is not "pay to win".  This is "pay to look how you want if you are really, really vain, which we are betting on that you are, and we are more than likely correct", but it's not "pay to win".

Still not pay 2 win, because a player who doesn't go that route can still buy the same sword just by making gold though in game methods. Its only pay 2 win if they ONLY way to get that sword is to spend irl cash.

Not true, remember that this game features campaigns and time MATTERS a lot, you're fighting against the clock not only for dominance but for the hunger... I can't see how cool can be that some people will trade real life money for a top sword (yes you can earn it ingame, but with irl money will be faster and you'll need to be fast in this game where we have dying worlds).

I'm not a fan of offline training.  It turned me off of eve because the offline training was so important that it didn't feel like there was a point to actually playing the game.  If they're committed to it then hopefully they can avoid that pitfall.

As far as people trading currency for vip services and vip services to other players, the money from outside the game coming into the game happens regardless; it's just a matter of whether or not AC wants to control it or let the black market decide.  Too many third parties out there are too skeezy, too much stuff gets stolen and there are too many headaches; it's the responsible adult thing to moderate that process inside the game transparently.

Eve only had passive training (well beta and the first year were different).  Crowfall will have active and passive.  if you are active enough you can catch up to veteran players. In Eve, you couldn't do that.

AC can't control black markets.  If it were controllable then most MMO companies would stop it.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Confessor is a walking library. Dude has hip-holstered books. Dual wield books confirmed? 

I'm also excited about the implication that bookbinding will be one of the crafting professions. 

Thirdly, Valkyn singing the universe into creation supports my hope for the Dance Tank.

Can always count on BBC to catch the little details  ;)

Looking for Crowfall RP? Join us at https://eatcrow.slack.com/. Details here.

So making all shop items bind on account would fix any issues correct? I wouldn't have a problem with that. Gives players who want and have the money to spend on cosmetic stuff the option without affecting the economy. 

In the end, we all have to understand they need to "fund" this game one way or the other. Players who can toss out money to make up for those who can't or don't want to is beneficial for the all around health of the game in the long run. 

Oh, I know they need to make money, and micro transactions, sure fine. But everything should be player-bound. Not one thing tradeable. Problem solved. They still get their money and we still get our products. My fear, is that they know that players (mostly whales) will be intentionally buying large amounts of micro-transactions for the intent of selling them in-game to amass large amount of resources/currency, etc. They are playing on the fact that these whales and guys that want to get an edge, will buy them in bulk. That's pretty scary imho.

What have you won though? A player who doesn't spend a cent in the cash shop can acquire the same exact gear. 

Pay 2 win means the ONLY way to acquire items ie power is by paying irl cash.

Besides I think you're forgetting the real equalizer here. Player loot. Yeah some dude got a shinny sword faster them me cause he used the irl cash way, but guess what i grab a few guildies, gank him and grab that shiny sword.

I didn't forget player loot, it was in my original post before replying. And no, Pay2Win does not mean the only way to acquire items is via paying IRL cash.

Not true, remember that this game features campaigns and time MATTERS a lot, you're fighting against the clock not only for dominance but for the hunger... I can't see how cool can be that some people will trade real life money for a top sword (yes you can earn it ingame, but with irl money will be faster and you'll need to be fast in this game where we have dying worlds).

Player loot. He dies (and he will) he drops sword another player picks it up. There balanced.

Depends on how the y do it. I gave the example of Mortal Online's system earlier. Some of the lesser skills could be passively trained in as little as four hours (though passive training usually only trained the chosen skill to about 75-80% of the skills cap).

Other Major skills, or extremely rare skills would take a couple of weeks. You have the ability to actively play in the game world while passively leveling the chosen skill, you did not have to be off line or "docked".

How on earth is me changing what my character looks like considered "pay to win"?  If I decide to change the appearance of my gear, or looks, in what way does that make my character stronger?

It doesn't.  This is not "pay to win".  This is "pay to look how you want if you are really, really vain, which we are betting on that you are, and we are more than likely correct", but it's not "pay to win".

actually, you can gain an advantage.

I buy an item(s) that allow me to change the looks of my gear to be that of a new character. I look like a new character, gear wise.  You being a med level player see me as an easy target.  You attack me but die. I loot your gear (or any depending on the world rules we're in).

This cosmetic item gives me an advantage to someone who didnt change their gear. 

and btw i believe you're using vain a little to much.  it isnt vain of someone to have their character look a certain way. 

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I didn't forget player loot, it was in my original post before replying. And no, Pay2Win does not mean the only way to acquire items is via paying IRL cash.

Didn't answer the question though. How did one win by getting the sword using the indirect irl cash method if I can get the same exact gear through in game means, either buy it with gold i made in game or loot it out of his cold dead hands.

Pay 2 win means exactly that. You pay(irl cash) for an advantage (win) over others who can't get that same advantage through any other means.

Edited by pang

Microtransactions are vital nowadays, if you are planning on updating your game in a somewhat regular basis. I mean it took GW2, a few years for their first expansion, and they had microtransactions and a Buy2Play model. But that was a mix of PvE/PvP, more leaning on PvE imho.

I hate to go to League, but while you can "gift" skins, the majority of their earnings are from cosmetics and not tradeable for in game currency or levels or ranks, or anything like that. And they are making a killing and it's F2P. Sure, do they have XP/IP boosters? XP until level 30 (max level). IP, gets you some free characters eventually.

I know comparing League and Crowfall, apples to oranges in gameplay terms (somewhat), but monetarily... If League can make billions off of cosmetics that you can't trade/sell to other players, any game in the world can too.

Player loot. He dies (and he will) he drops sword another player picks it up. There balanced.

So you are saying that the balance consist on players killing the player who bought the cool sword and stealing that sword from him?

First, you have to kill him and it has a good sword to defend himself

Second, for the rulesets we could see until now, you only have 20% chance to drop EQUIPED items in one world, the other/s are only inventory loot. You can't steal his top-notch equipment bought with real life money if he has those items equiped (and he will).

Still not pay 2 win, because a player who doesn't go that route can still buy the same sword just by making gold though in game methods. Its only pay 2 win if they ONLY way to get that sword is to spend irl cash.

In my opinion, if player #1 can pay 100$ of cash shop items, sell it for 10,000G, while player #2 can only make an average of 50G per hour, it is "pay to win".

The problem would still be the same if player #1 sold 100$ worth for 100G.

I pay with real cash and I get in game currency way faster and easier than those who don't have the cash for monthly sub.