Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/12/15 - The Confessor, God History & Pricing Faq

If someone plays more but doesn't pay more, I don't understand why I should call him "pay 2 win". "Play 2 win" maybe?  :P

That's exactly how MMOs used to be when they were good. Play to win. It makes sense that if you invest more time and effort in your character you will be better than the casual. What doesn't make sense is to buy that time and effort progression with cash.

If you (not you courant, the other people xD) don't want time and effort affecting your character progression because you don't have enough time to invest in your character, I can sugest you titles like League of Legends or DotA 2.

i buy a VIP voucher, sell it for gold (or any other resource). how do you prevent trading of resources then?

Lol it's not the same when I trade you my ingame gold or stuff obtained with effort playing the game for yours obtained by the same method, than doing it just opening your wallet.

That's exactly how MMOs used to be when they were good. Play to win. It makes sense that if you invest more time and effort in your character you will be better than the casual. What doesn't make sense is to buy that time and effort progression with cash.

I agree with you that if we spend more time on a game than other players, we expect our progression to be greater than theirs.

However, players who support more the game financially than other players will expect their progression to be greater than theirs.

Both are right, by me, to ask for a kind of advantage, since they both put effort, money and time. So, how do we solve this?

If you (not you courant, the other people xD) don't want time and effort affecting your character progression because you don't have enough time to invest in your character, I can sugest you titles like League of Legends or DotA 2.

Yes, because 9 months out of the year I work 70-90 hours a week to support my family and secure our future, I shouldn't be able to jump in the game for a hour or two in the evening and enjoy the game and be able to be competitive just as the person who played all day?

You are afraid that someone who bought time as you said will be as competitive as you are, and you assume that time spent should default to auto win for yourself. I had this feeling you were this kind of player as soon as you started posting here, I just didn't say anything before this comment lol.

Luckily, their manifesto hints towards this not being the game you are talking about.

Straight from their Manifesto ... so you get an idea what they are going for here.

what's the point of playing?

I don’t want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge.

I want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose.

Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. Risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE.

Even if I lose, the experience won’t feel hollow. I don’t want another worthless trophy.

I WANT TO PLAY TO CRUSH.
J. Todd Coleman

Creative Director

Gordon Walton

Executive Producer

Edited by sarin

no, thank you

lmao, you've got amazing comedic timing.  I wish I could 'like' your post a few more times!

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

You are afraid that someone who bought time as you said will be as competitive as you are.

I'm afraid of people throwing money being equal or more competitive than people putting effort, yes. Things in games should be achieved by playing the game not by paying money.

I'm afraid of people throwing money being equal or more competitive than people putting effort, yes. Things in games should be achieved by playing the game not by paying money.

Why? What you are afraid of man? You think because a person gives money to support the game they shouldn't be competitive???

From what you say, you should be winning based on the sole fact you have soooo much more play time regardless. There isn't a damn thing they listed so far that gives ANYONE a combative advantage, you are just so adamantly against the "shop" that you are blind to it and are pulling at straws.

Edited by sarin

I want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose.

You want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where your actions, your decisions, your SKILL and your MONEY will determine if you win or lose. Don't fool yourself.

Edited by innadril

Just wanted to clear this up since I've been seeing a reoccurring question on it and we didn't cover it in the FAQ:
The only item purchased from the shop that we intend to allow players to trade is the VIP membership tokens.

What players use for trade for these tokens I'm not sure yet. We are giving the players the tools of an economy but what becomes the defacto unit for trade will be decided by what people start selling their goods for. Could be wood, ore, ore smelted into coins, if so which ore is the one used? Fun times for sure! 

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

You want to play a GAME, against PLAYERS where your actions, your decisions, your SKILL and your MONEY will determine if you win or lose. Don't fool yourself.

I have enough faith in my gaming skills ( even though I am getting old ) I can be competitive either way, either if I support the game by giving them some money for shop items or if I don't /shrug

My whole point is they picked a pretty fair pricing model that works well for the kind of game they are creating. I am just more open minded about it than some people.

Just wanted to clear this up since I've been seeing a reoccurring question on it and we didn't cover it in the FAQ:

The only item purchased from the shop that we intend to allow players to trade is the VIP membership tokens.

What players use for trade for these tokens I'm not sure yet. We are giving the players the tools of an economy but what becomes the defacto unit for trade will be decided by what people start selling their goods for. Could be wood, ore, ore smelted into coins, if so which ore is the one used? Fun times for sure! 

There ya go, I been saying this for awhile, no currency ie money

In before the OMG vouchers will allow players to hoarde insane amounts of wood!!!! 

On a serious note, I am glad you guys are choosing that direction. In the end vouchers will be bought with money than traded for in game resources most likely, however it will be a limited trading economy and should keep itself in check fairly well. There are only so many players in the game and each player only needing one voucher a month, however not all players will be trading for the vouchers because they will either already have it or don't need or want it. Will be a limited market for the most part and shouldn't throw anything out of whack here.

Now the cosmetics had the potential to throw things a lilttle off balance, but if done right I don't think it would of been that bad.

Edited by sarin

does this mean there will be no ingame currency? only materials? pretty cool!

Bbhm5iJ.jpg

So it won't be gold? Will this be a barter only economy?

So it won't be gold? Will this be a barter only economy?

Best economy in my opinion if you want a in depth meaningful crafting enviroment, I said this the first few days the forums where here ! I am excited it looks like they are going that way. 

It's going to make crafters extremely important in Crowfall in MANY different ways!!

I think his argument is that if you purchase pink dye and dye a hat pink, you can then sell that pink hat to another person for 5000 wood and 5000 stone in-game.  You can then use the wood and stone to build a house and crafter equipment.  This gives you an in-game boost in exchange for the use of RL $$ to purchase the pink dye.

As for the idea of being able to sell the equivalent to EVE Plex for $$, it's the same idea.  I'm actually fine with it because I think EVE maintains its competitive balance despite allowing players to buy plex and sell it for in game cash.  

My bigger concern is the use of RL $$ to buy cosmetic gear or furniture.  I would like everything used in the game or worn in the game to be made by crafters and all the resources for those items to be obtainable by harvesting in the game.  

I would prefer they drop the cosmetics and just stick with the PLEX equivalent.

You are assuming, of course, that anyone would give 5000 stone and 5000 wood for a pink hat.  We have no idea the worth of these items.  All of these posts about how this of course means "pay to win" are assuming that a pink hat is WORTH the time it took to get 5000 stone and 5000 wood.  Using the example posted about 50 hours to get an item, why the heck would I trade someone 50 hours of my work for a pink hat when it's easier for me to just buy the pink dye for a couple of bucks?

Until we know how much everything is/worth, we can't say, affirmatively, that this is p2w.

Edit:  Just saw the Dev's post.  So there you have it, me changing the look of my gear or character, you know, COSMETIC only, does not give me any advantage.  Just like I said in the beginning.

/smug

Edited by cheyenne wolfshadow