Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/12/15 - The Confessor, God History & Pricing Faq

Can you explain to me what is passive training, I haven't played any game yet featuring this.

EVE had it not sure what others really. But basically when you are offline you can pick a single skill, for example 1h Sword use, or heavy armor skill to lvl up while you're not playing. The amount of time offline and how fast it lvls varies but thats the basic idea of it as i understand Im sure others with more exp with it can explain better.

Edited by pang

If you spend real money to buy the pink dye, and you sell the dye to someone for in game money, then you can use that in game money to buy a top tier sword.

paid money for dye --> traded for money ---> used money to buy a high end crafted weapon

Still not pay 2 win, because a player who doesn't go that route can still buy the same sword just by making gold though in game methods. Its only pay 2 win if they ONLY way to get that sword is to spend irl cash.

Edited by pang

Wow, so much hate for the pricing model. I love it. Like someone said, the perfect balance between casual and hardcore. College dude on ramen still gets to play and if he quits, gives his info to his bro to play too. Want a slight advantage, then sub up.

Idk why people are losing their mind over cosmetic shop. Sure cash --> cosmetic item -- > in-game --> gear in game. You think at launch people aren't going to sell items on eBay (granted ACE will be all over it) or make in game trades based on paypal transactions (gift system) ? You can't stop people from doing it and cosmetic shop or not, it's still going to happen. Might as well let ACE makes some extra cash off of it.

Can't please the whole MMO community at the same time. Don't let the door hit ya

Edited by headlight

Exactly, they also have to come up with "meaningful" worth while perks for players to sub. What they have shown so far seems extremely fair, and really might even bit on the short end of the stick for 15/month imo.

It does sound very fair but the problem arises when you can trade this as a voucher of some sort for in game currency. Then there's a problem. If Dev's want to make this accessible to everyone with in game currency that's fine, but make them have to purchase it from Artcraft directly, so that it doesn't impact the economy

HECIfKy.jpg

Sugoi - Student Council President

Can you explain to me what is passive training, I haven't played any game yet featuring this.

Passive training is used in EVE Online. I haven't played in a very long time, but as I remember it, it allows you to learn something (like an upgrade in missiles) without having to be online. I think you can do the same training while you're online, but you had to have your ship docked either way. If their upgrades take a long time to complete, then it's definitely worth doing.

So the only difference between VIP and regular is that a VIP ticket holder can passively train 3 characters at once, where a non-VIP can only do one. But, if you only have one character you're focusing on anyway, there's not much of a difference.

I can give you Mortal Online's system. In an action, or skill based leveling system you raise skills by actually doing the action in game, some skills can only be learned through the purchase and reading of "Books". Once you purchase the book and consume it, you learn the "skill" and begin to "passively" level it, or level it without doing any associated action. You continue to level that particular skill, even when off line until the book is fully consumed or "read". You can only passively raise one skill at a time.

This sounds as if you may be able to choose a a particular skill, and place that character in a "slot" to passively train while not in use.

So long as we stay away from crowd funding (just because of a billion reasons and recent events *cough* peter mulanyxu *cough*), I am very excited for this pricing model. And continue to look forward to the big reveal.

The nice thing about crowdfunding is that it's voluntary.  You can still play the game even if you don't take part in a crowdfunding campaign.

Wee, fessors. Next, Nightstalkers please.

I am not sure what to think of this.... Potential Eu getting butchered by some horrible european publisher.

B2P with non-enforced, but encouraged sub. Does the sub-fee get us some crowfall-cash to buy those cosmetics monthly as well?

They mentioned a shop "discount."  That would be cool though, if they tossed a few virtual-credits your way each month as part of your sub.

I'm hoping for that, something similar to the Cartel Market that TOR uses.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Buy to play makes me much more likely to play. F2P always turns out bad. I hate being nickel and dimed. Subscription makes me feel like I'm losing money when I'm not playing. I like the fact I can buy it, play one campaign then come back in 6 months if I want.

Idk why people are losing their mind over cosmetic shop. Sure cash --> cosmetic item -- > in-game --> gear in game. You think at launch people aren't going to sell items on eBay (granted ACE will be all over it) or make in game trades based on paypal transactions (gift system) ? You can't stop people from doing it and cosmetic shop or not, it's still going to happen. Might as well let ACE makes some extra cash off of it.

Can't please the whole MMO community at the same time. Don't let the door hit ya

I don't get this either. It's the only way a cash shop should be implemented in an MMO, is for cosmetic items. If anyone has a problem with cosmetics, they should try a true P2W cash shop. You'll be praying for a cosmetic shop.

Awesome news!

However, please please please do not region lock the US version if you're getting a separate publishers so that at least we can choose between lag and possibly crappy eu versions (like we can with Tera atm).

Other then that I love the payment model and the new archtype, keep it up ^^

We are now recruiting! Read more here!

o8WHnLc.png

I dont like the VIP Voucher thing. This messed up Archeage so much.  

You buy VIP Voucher (I'm thinking something like PLEX, CREDD, APEX, etc) for cash.

You sell VIP Voucher in game for gold (or other resource).

You take in game resource to buy gear.

Add in a decay system (for gear, maybe other things).

Repeat this.

Archeage did this and it caused a huge P2W/P2P/Whale thing. I argued it was a Pay to Progress but really, most of the players couldn't keep up with those that spent most of their paycheck on the game.

My thoughts about this; I've been playing Archeage for 5 months now, since Alpha. (and continue to play it due to no other good MMOs out in the market at the moment)

APEX was hugely overpriced and people were able to P2W and milk F2P players of their gold because the membership for that game was a necessity. Even if the price of APEX changed, people would still buy it. Think about it, if you needed water to live and the price was insanely high, you would still buy it. It was inelastic demand.

If you wanted a good experience and keep the flow of money coming in, the only way was through membership. Look at labor generation, most of the gold in that game came in through labor. If you didn't have membership, you were pretty much screwed. Farms and property also required membership, which was a pretty important part of the game.

Additionally, APEX was basically credits. You can buy cash shop items in Archeage with APEX credits. What made it worse was the items were not only cosmetic... some of the items were game changing. (Increasing chance of regrading items, BiS mounts, etc. you get the point)

So APEX was basically a necessity for F2P. If Crowfall can make a system where it's not as much of a necessity but an extra thing that improves gameplay, it would actually work out.

The cosmetic only cash shop is definitely the major point in what can fundamentally change this.

What really kills is that Archeage is a great game, but most of the cash shop implementation was a huge disaster. Perhaps they should have made it buy to play similar to what Crowfall is doing. It's quite a good lesson to learn for future MMORPGs.

~

In other news, YES! Wizards. Looking forward to seeing the gameplay for confessors. Seems fun!

Edited by anj

You buy VIP Voucher (I'm thinking something like PLEX, CREDD, APEX, etc) for cash.

You sell VIP Voucher in game for gold (or other resource).

You take in game resource to buy gear.

Add in a decay system (for gear, maybe other things).

Repeat this.

I guess that might be a problem, especially if we can purchase infinite amount of VIP tokens.

My fear was not about a fire mage in a fantasy world don't be ridiculous. My fear is about getting the cliche dps fire mage instead a bit of innovation maybe?

OHHH, well you were't very clear about it.  

How do you know it is going to be a "cliche dps fire mage"?  They have done so much that is outside-the-box so far, have some faith and wait until all the details are released before you make judgement on it.

there ya go:

http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Confessor

I'm sure there will be plenty of similarities :)

Yep, that would be the outside-the-box thing I am speaking of!

Tanom of the WhiteWalkers

iWQCpyx.gif

Also no in game screen shot for the Confessor on its Archetype page?

EDIT: NVM missed they part where they said no screen shot this time.

We're still early in development so there's a number of things we still need to do. However, Eric has started on the confessors models! 

I wonder if people would want to see his work in progress?

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

I don't get this either. It's the only way a cash shop should be implemented in an MMO, is for cosmetic items. If anyone has a problem with cosmetics, they should try a true P2W cash shop. You'll be praying for a cosmetic shop.

Agreed. But again, as I stated before, these items need to be bound to either character or account. Non open to trade or loot. I don't want cosmetic items sold for in game currency, resources or assets of any kind. 

Still not pay 2 win, because a player who doesn't go that route can still buy the same sword just by making gold though in game methods. Its only pay 2 win if they ONLY way to get that sword is to spend irl cash.

Going a little further on this ... this is a lootable game as well... meaning that the odds we see any gear/weapons in this game that are "uber" are slim to non. If you spend a ton of money on dye to pick up that sword, you just spend real money on a item that has a high probability of getting looted on your next death. That in itself balances it out making it a non viable way to obtain pay 2 win options. 

AA was a huge P2W because of labor points, not their APEX system. Selling APEX for gold to buy labor pots (which was the biggest block in the game) was what caused such mass hysteria. Plus, they added things in the cash shop with low probability rates for crazy good mounts, which is another P2W maneuver. Both of which are absent in this system Crowfall has set up.

Honestly, this is the best system I've seen in an MMO. I'm glad this is what they're using.

I could buy apex, sell it and then buy any gear i could afford with cash.  the labor wall was for the crafter(s) not the buyer.  I wasnt going to mention the rng boxes, still wont.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

We're still early in development so there's a number of things we still need to do. However, Eric has started on the confessors model! 

I wonder if people would want to see his work in progress?

Definitely, always fun to watch the progression of a piece of art.