Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

02/12/15 - The Confessor, God History & Pricing Faq

Going a little further on this ... this is a lootable game as well... meaning that the odds we see any gear/weapons in this game that are "uber" are slim to non. If you spend a ton of money on dye to pick up that sword, you just spend real money on a item that has a high probability of getting looted on your next death. That in itself balances it out making it a non viable way to obtain pay 2 win options. 

Wizardly Online (i'll have to double check the name) had this. it closed.  If you buy anything with cash and enter a gear loot world, then you might have enough cash to keep buying more gear via cash ship/VIP Tickets.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Interesting Payment System. I am on the line though about it being Not Pay to Win and Pay to Win due to the ability to sell products/VP Services, etc. We'll see how it plays out though. Seeing how most of the game is full/partial loot, I am thinking that's the justification for most of it. Chances are, even if you do pay real money to sell items, to buy bigger weapons/armor, if you don't have the skills to keep it on you, well, you just lost out on some money...

But then, what if you do have the skills, and you just keep using the real money transaction to make yourself bigger and bigger in the game. Hard sell for sure. Very tricky. 

Player driven economy, I like. But inflated prices getting crazier and crazier as the game progresses... How will that affect new players after a few weeks, let alone months?

Edited by XcomVic
typo

We're still early in development so there's a number of things we still need to do. However, Eric has started on the confessors model! 

I wonder if people would want to see his work in progress?

Absolutely. I think a lot of us are here because we like to see the process of a game being made, so any and all insights and peaks into that is more than welcome IMO.

Spoiler: Kane seduced Gaea and stone born were born. To resurrect d'orion Arkyn killed the first animal he met who happened to be deer and put it's head instead of d'orions that was smashed to pieces by Kane. (Although this one might be a bit off)

Also I beleive it's Arkyn, not Arkon, unless something have changed :D

Good read, I think :D

Double post pressed quote instead of edit

Edited by rajah

"..but the marriage of Justice and Life was one of convenience, not Love 31 and thus was it poisoned at the root."
That's deep. 
Excellent news for lore-whor.. eeerm.. lore-lovers like me. Definitely what I wanted to say.

As for the payment model.. I'm always a pro-sub person. B2p is in the gray zone to me. 
I'll wait and see what VIP "behind the scenes" access is all about..
That will probably be the decisive factor as to how many people follow that financial path, me included.

About the new archetype.. I love how all of them are such strongly lore-based.
Example : Instead of a Confessor, it could as well, mechanically wise, be a passive sorcerer. But look how much more intense a zealot is. Now you don't just fling fireballs for the sake of fireballs.. You cleanse sinners.
Its so much more.. damned epic.

Edited by satyros

We're still early in development so there's a number of things we still need to do. However, Eric has started on the confessors model! 

Come on Tully, is this really a question?

It's a huge YES!  ;)

Edited by anj

We're still early in development so there's a number of things we still need to do. However, Eric has started on the confessors models! 

Yes show us !! I have seen some of his work via his twitter. Fun seeing the creations on there. Would love to see it as it progresses over time for him :)

That's a good surprise! So far we had a lot of characters with tank or physical abilities.

Size and population of our personal kingdom... I guess every types of players, pvp-centric, builders, sociable, will be happy playing Crowfall.

As a builder at heart (I guess it's a subsection of crafter), I just wanna say... yep!

We're still early in development so there's a number of things we still need to do. However, Eric has started on the confessors models! 

That would be amazing!

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

I could buy apex, sell it and then buy any gear i could afford with cash.  the labor wall was for the crafter(s) not the buyer.  I wasnt going to mention the rng boxes, still wont.

Well, you could just as easily buy gold for any number of sources within that game and buy whatever you wanted. Just depends on how much money you were willing to throw at it. Much like the rng boxes that dropped carrot dash and you could sell for thousands. Maxing out multiple crafting professions in less than a week was far more beneficial, which caused the uproar in the first place. But I will agree with you APEX did have that fault as well. But they didn't have a decay system on gear in AA, so basically just get BiS and GG.

Again another exciting update and im down with everything so far but with vip being able to train other characters passively, well Im not a fan of that to be honest. Sure one can argue if your a casual and love your main your fine, but i think that only speaks to like a small percent of players hell even casuals play multiple characters. Most, specially at launch will try multiple characters but will only be able to passively increase 1 of thar characters, while VIP can train all 3, and my guess is you can buy more character slots in the cashshop. In GW2 i have about 9 character slots and the game come with 4, an thar is 8 classes. I know some players even that have 15+ character slots.

I think its gonna be very important what it is that you can train with this passive training system and how long does it take to otherwise normally train all your characters to max whatever it might be. We dont yet know what we can train but my guess is it will be pretty important in the long term and casuals will get left in the dust when it comes to this and hardcore guys might be gimped unless they sub. Otherwise i would have to say that i might consider that pay to win, and what do you win all those extra passive skills being trained at a rapid rate. And who knows what that might translate to, more stats, being able to use better gear quicker, etc etc. We dont just know yet what those passives will be. And again i said might be pay to win, we still do not know any of the details im simply going off the info we do have.

Edit: Forgot you can buy VIP with ingame gold, depending on the price of VIP with ingame gold it would not matter at all honestly. I know alot of people hate Archeage but to get VIP was extremely cheap about 80-100g which i could make in a few hours if i played the market.

Edited by krevra

krevra.png

EVE had it not sure what others really. But basically when you are offline you can pick a single skill, for example 1h Sword use, or heavy armor skill to lvl up while you're not playing. The amount of time offline and how fast it lvls varies but thats the basic idea of it as i understand Im sure others with more exp with it can explain better.

Passive training is used in EVE Online. I haven't played in a very long time, but as I remember it, it allows you to learn something (like an upgrade in missiles) without having to be online. I think you can do the same training while you're online, but you had to have your ship docked either way. If their upgrades take a long time to complete, then it's definitely worth doing.

So the only difference between VIP and regular is that a VIP ticket holder can passively train 3 characters at once, where a non-VIP can only do one. But, if you only have one character you're focusing on anyway, there's not much of a difference.

I can give you Mortal Online's system. In an action, or skill based leveling system you raise skills by actually doing the action in game, some skills can only be learned through the purchase and reading of "Books". Once you purchase the book and consume it, you learn the "skill" and begin to "passively" level it, or level it without doing any associated action. You continue to level that particular skill, even when off line until the book is fully consumed or "read". You can only passively raise one skill at a time.

This sounds as if you may be able to choose a a particular skill, and place that character in a "slot" to passively train while not in use.

That's a well thought system in my opinion. So basically today I decide to learn an ability and it takes let's say 8 houres to do so, I just put it in passive training overnight and when I wake up tomorrow, the skill is ready (or closer of being ready).

The only issue with this is I have trouble to sleep when things are running on my computer.  :P

Thank you for the answers!!!

Interesting Payment System. I am on the line though about it being Not Pay to Win and Pay to Win due to the ability to sell products/VP Services, etc. We'll see how it plays out though. Seeing how most of the game is full/partial loot, I am thinking that's the justification for most of it. Chances are, even if you do pay real money to see items, to buy bigger weapons/armor, if you don't have the skills to keep it on you, well, you just lost out on some money...

But then, what if you do have the skills, and you just keep using the real money transaction to make yourself bigger and bigger in the game. Hard sell for sure. Very tricky. 

Player driven economy, I like. But inflated prices getting crazier and crazier as the game progresses... How will that affect new players after a few weeks, let alone months?

The balance is that at some point theres a hard cap on gear you can get. Sure you might be able to get some gear a little faster by spending irl cash then sell the items but again others players can and will acquire gear just as fast using in game only methods.

I like your payment model. I use to hate that idea, as anything that didn't require a subscription seemed to be a collective cesspool of whiners and "give-me gamers". However, the tidbits of game design information of sandbox, skill based, aiming, and collision game-play is like adding chlorine to the gene pool to purge out those people early so I can feel good that there is still going to be a good like-minded gamer community here.  :wub:

Interesting Payment System. I am on the line though about it being Not Pay to Win and Pay to Win due to the ability to sell products/VP Services, etc. We'll see how it plays out though. Seeing how most of the game is full/partial loot, I am thinking that's the justification for most of it. Chances are, even if you do pay real money to see items, to buy bigger weapons/armor, if you don't have the skills to keep it on you, well, you just lost out on some money...

I like the pricing model. I think the issue, if there could be one for p2w, would be the passive training. However, since everyone can do it for at least one character, if you only focus on one character, you'll be able to keep up with someone who pays either way. So it only really affects people who like playing more than one character at once, which isn't really a requirement to enjoy the game. Sure, this might effect people who start playing later, but maybe not as much as you think? It depends on what you train and how quickly that works.

I don't think the selling of shop items would affect the gameplay of others though. They are cosmetic - and the gold you receive would come from players who earned it in game.

The lore is awesome! I'm not really feeling the confessors myself though.