Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xotix

Pricing Model

I feel like this point is invalid because it implies a stitching system of some sort, where you can basically skin your gear to get the look you want over the stats you want. If this is the case, you can do it with dropped/crafted gear also. So buying from the cash shop really doesn't offer you any advantage there.

If you don't want that kind of system, I don't agree but can understand why. However, cash shop cosmetic items are not the root of your problem there, at all.

Edit: I personally don't agree because I think when you run up on someone in noob gear, you should have to ask yourself whether this is an easy gank or a trap.

I don't understand your edit, as I assume it speaks against me? Actually I think that's nice.  If someone looks crappy, like is wearing a potato bag, then he actually should be wearing apotato bag and not have some epixx whatever thing transformed to that potato bag. (Sure, you could argue with magic here.)

Bye_daniel.gif

funny - but I don't really get it. Explain.

I love how the asian gold-sellers are always ignored...

no matter what pricing system you have for your game. People will be able to buy currency from outside sources.

It doesn't matter if they do it with built-in mechanics or go to the chinaman next door.

chinamen aren't a designed feature? I think sub would fight it more than an item shop.

Really, I mainly dislike wearable cosmetics. They have ton's of other cosmetics they can sell in EK. E.g. a tournament arena for public or whatever. I still don't like it but the worst for me personnally would be wearable cosmetics. It just destroys information. I just like some kind of realism in that part.

Edited by xotix

^^^^ what freeze said.

Also, you need a currency that's only viable to VIP members in order to convert real money into virtual money.

A currency is something EVERYONE needs EVERYTIME. If they're selling cosmetics, I doubt whales will be able to convert their money that easily (plus, equip might be lootable in some cases). Archeage had APEX, labor potions and later on boxes with thunderstruck trees... players needed that all the time, so it was pseudo P2W.

TL;DR they just need not to sell anything worthy of being traded, like pure cosmetic items.

But they do connect VIP with ingame services and VIP is something you bought. I understand why, but I think it's not good. They are making a lot of compromisses which I wouldn't. 

Don't get your point? I start a new wipe on SB, prices are low because you just start in the game. I can buy some cool piece of gear for say 10 gold. It's all it sells for at this point because it's a new server/game. But so did everyone else because it's launch. A month from now, that same item will be 100 gold. 1000% increase which = inflation, sure.

But new guy starts a month after everyone else. He's able to sell some resource at the current market rate unlike me who had to sell an item at a much lower price a month ago. Inflation is perspective. To me, it's inflation. To him, it's just the current market.

In SB you didn't get to buy VP services/cosmetics, etc from other players with in game gold. Or be able to sell it. Now think about your same scenario. Now include the current trading allowed in Crowfall. Multiply your price a month after launch by 10-100. Inflation may be perspective, but those on the up and up will be the Subs/whales. 

Trust me, I am going to be subbing, I am just playing devil's advocate here. At this moment, it's a very very tight line when it comes to the current model. 

I don't understand your edit, as I assume it speaks against me? Actually I think that's nice.  If someone looks crappy, like is wearing a potato bag, then he actually should be wearing apotato bag and not have some epixx whatever thing transformed to that potato bag. (Sure, you could argue with magic here.)

I'm saying the exact opposite of that. Just makes it easier to pick on under-geared players.

If you can't imagine a reason someone might have shiny gear that was really junk, the lack of immersion is your own fault I think. In the real world there's all manner of "knock off" clothing and jewelry. No magic necessary.

Well sub is just sub with a different name. People are losing their mind.

If they make cosmetic items account bound or soul bound, then It's not such a big deal. But if I come into CF at month 6 and buy some stupid hat and can sell it in game for big bucks, then the inflation is to my advantage. Granted, the whale gets the advantage as well. Guess I see your point.

If I'm offline, my character shouldn't do anything, I don't think my character should get better in anything by nothing. I don't care what game it did, I never experienced it and I don't want to.

Please don't be abusive, thanks.

Then explain it to me. For me, pay once and play forever means bad quality. Never saw a game that worked and if you look how much new content they want to provide I doubt that it will work. I don't want poorly generated campaigns and I don't think, anyone else wants.

Also, if I can prodive you an ingame service and you will get VIP status, I just can buy gold via that.

Sry, I was in a hurry. You're right, it's very poorly written.

-----

And yeah, I just think everything ingame should come from an ingame action etc. and not being bought in an item shop, for me, that just can kill the fun. I want to feel the game and just dive into it, I also don't like any transmorgh (or how you call it), I didn't even like the "change color of equipment" in GW2. I want the equipment to tell me information about the player, about his spec and about how strong he is, that's get mostly killed by an item shop.

I just don't belife in this pricing model for an mmo. I just like the sub model, then everything comes fro man ingame action and itsn't oursource to a shop.

The problem people have with comparing CF's concepts to other games, such as being able to spot armor and weapons, is they never experienced a game so different that their eyes were opened. In SB i never payed attention to gear that was worn, I payed attention to the Guild and Individual names of players... Thats how I knew if I was facing DEATH in a fight or slaughtering a fuzzy bunny.

I would say that the p2p model hasn't worked in the recent past because most of those were a variation of a wow. I played a bunch of those games and always came to the realization if I going to redo same game play..then might as well go back to Wow where I had developed characters and back story.

If this becomes just a wildly variation of wow instead of what is promise..then the pricing will not be successful but the subscription looks good to me and actually makes me smile as I cannot play 20+ hours a week but my tons still get to level up a certain degree.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I will give mine without attempting bash anyone. I really, really like the pricing model. I am a fan of allowing everyone to have equal footing in a game, plus some perks for those that want to commit to a small financial transaction on a monthly basis. There are a number of games going this model these days, and I think that it gives a small stream of revenue to the developer to continue, while still allowing everyone to be on the same page (balance-wise).

Good move in my opinion.

LW_sig_concept2_zpsgdrsfl7n.jpg

I'm saying the exact opposite of that. Just makes it easier to pick on under-geared players.

If you can't imagine a reason someone might have shiny gear that was really junk, the lack of immersion is your own fault I think. In the real world there's all manner of "knock off" clothing and jewelry. No magic necessary.

I don't get what you are trying to tell me.

The problem people have with comparing CF's concepts to other games, such as being able to spot armor and weapons, is they never experienced a game so different that their eyes were opened. In SB i never payed attention to gear that was worn, I payed attention to the Guild and Individual names of players... Thats how I knew if I was facing DEATH in a fight or slaughtering a fuzzy bunny.

Sure, I know that too. That's also a very nice thing though, actually didn't think about that.

The only thing from the cash shop is ViP tokens none of the cosmetics:

Just wanted to clear this up since I've been seeing a reoccurring question on it and we didn't cover it in the FAQ:
The only item purchased from the shop that we intend to allow players to trade is the VIP membership tokens.

What players use for trade for these tokens I'm not sure yet. We are giving the players the tools of an economy but what becomes the defacto unit for trade will be decided by what people start selling their goods for. Could be wood, ore, ore smelted into coins, if so which ore is the one used? Fun times for sure! 

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/2073-021215-the-confessor-god-history-pricing-faq/page-14#entry53025

Ultimately, this is a commercial venture. The extent to which you feel like you're getting your money's worth for what you care to spend, and how much support will be made available for the sake of people who don't want to spend money up front, is and will always be a delicate matter.

Subscriptions are a great way to stave off RMT. So are box/base license sales.

So... If I want to buy gold all I have to do is buy a membership token and sell it to a player for gold?

or buy from the chinamen, yes

Edited by freeze

So... If I want to buy gold all I have to do is buy a membership token and sell it to a player for gold?

Right now it looks like there won't be a Game based "Gold":

Tully - "We are giving the players the tools of an economy but what becomes the defacto unit for trade will be decided by what people start selling their goods for. Could be wood, ore, ore smelted into coins, if so which ore is the one used? Fun times for sure!"

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/2103-think-this-might-answer-a-question-or-2/

(don't know where the OP in that thread got the quote from)

or buy from the chinamen, yes

I don't buy from either, I thought only bad players bought gold.. or was that last decade?

Edited by Cisco

Personally I am a fan of this model.  Ever since Guild Wars, I've been a fan of the buy-to-play model.

And the fact is, if it were a sub model, I wouldn't play it no matter how much I liked it.  At least not for long.  Because I like to play other games, like SMITE and Path of Exile.  And I don't want to feel like I'm wasting my money when I choose to play other games.

That and I don't have a lot of money, so I am certainly not going to waste it on a game I may or may not enjoy yet.

An optional sub, fine, I have no problem with that.  Provided the gameplay experience for those who don't sub isn't made to be sub par, ie Archeage.

This way I can give money when I have it, when I think the game has given me a good shake, while also giving ArtCraft a good amount of money up front.

I think everyone wins with this model.

Right now it looks like there won't be a Game based "Gold":

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/2103-think-this-might-answer-a-question-or-2/

(don't know where the OP in that thread got the quote from)

This is correct, the Devs have said there will be no "official currency", we the players will decide what we deal with, in other words, it will be a bartering economy.

That quote is incorrect though.  Tully didn't say that, it was ThomasB.  You can see the correct quote in my post here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/2103-think-this-might-answer-a-question-or-2/?p=53334

Or you can see the post yourself directly here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/2073-021215-the-confessor-god-history-pricing-faq/?p=53025

Long live bartering economy!

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.