Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

Shadowbane and Wizard101: odd bedfellows

Har har har, only as abrasive as'n aged barnacle, boyo!  We do be promisin' ta be gentle... If'n ya be givin' us enough rum, dat is...

(On topic, I've definitely noticed the segregation.  While a bit humorous, it's also likely to blame on us having absolutely NOTHING to discuss ((wink wink nudge nudge)).  The whole "never played a game like this, some will hate it" is taken in good note.  We're looking forward to hearing more soon.  Any chance we could get a Q&A soon?  I'm burning with questions beyond gameplay.  Basic stuff like What's the inspiration, how long into development is the project, how big or small is the team, etc)

5pdWpYv.jpg

Former Shadowbane Thief Advocate,

Current Crowfall Thief Advocate  ;)

my apologies & condolences to the wizard101 crowd...   :P

We still love you.

While I'm grateful for the post, a guilty little part of me would like to see this debacle progress, 'play the game' so to speak, on the forums. We already seem to have two very distinct 'factions' and it would have been interesting to see the two sides (Dubbed Bittervet and Carebear) riled up all the way to release. That would, no doubt, make for an interesting open for the real game, and if the rivalry transcended the initial anarchy, a pretty interesting player-made lore arc.

I'm sure eventually ( or at least the post part )  the kinks between the two communities will be ironed out and whatnot; I for one don't know a whole lot about the folks from shadowbane( other than being accussed of being arrogant), but would be willing to get to know them better if the allowed me to( and I hope more people are willing to do the same, no need for our differences to cause feuds and hatred )

Shadowbane folks: some of the Wizard folks haven't played a game like this before.  Some of them will hate it.  Some of them will love it.  Please don't be asshats and scare them off before they have a chance to figure out which group they fall into.

Oh come on, we're not that wimpy.

haha, you're right about that -- we were all laughing at the office, because just we had to sanction our first person for poor forum behavior -- and it was a wizard player, not an SB one.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Sure not all of us are, but remember the target audience of the game, so its likely younger children to be on these forums, as well as people who aren't used to harsh words due to their forums having so many restrictions ( note: This isnt meant to be taken as a bash post,apologizes if it came out that way. )

Lol I got a bit eh to the SB players from first impressions but we can't hate each other yet, we gotta at least wait until someone burns something done first or spawn kills someone. Geez, I'm ashamed of myself for letting that one go haha.

haha, you're right about that -- we were all laughing at the office, because just we had to sanction our first person for poor forum behavior -- and it was a wizard player, not an SB one.

Todd

ACE

ROFL... score 1 for SB.

Yeah my gut feeling based on some W101 posters, is this game may be a huge culture shock.

My wife registered for beta and she was turned off by the initial email. She's never played a hard MMO. I'm looking forward to more info so I have something to sell her on. (And myself as well honestly. Need moar infos nao!)

yeah, it's a completely bizarre mix.  and we're already seeing a bit of culture class.  The common element with both groups is me.  So, OK, let me address it.

Shadowbane folks enjoyed the game largely because it was completely open and free.  The degree of character customization, the political system, the freedom to do what you want in the game... these design elements were unprecedented (and, IMO, haven't really been matched, since.)  SB wasn't just a "free for all" pvp game, because the PvP had purpose.  It also included a strong element of strategy and politics.  It was cool.  and it attracted an incredibly passionate community as a result.

Wizard folks enjoyed the game for a number of reasons: the narrative, the combat system, the environment, the (again) the incredibly passionate community.  it also had a very strong and very popular PvP system, and offered some systems (like housing and pets) that were pretty flexible and open.

These two games are quite different.  These two communities are completely different.  My goal here is not to "mix" those communities for Crowfall, because we can't.  and we don't want to.   We need to find our own voice.   Part of that voice, in my opinion, needs to allow for others who have different opinions from yours.  That's cool, because eventually it'll be a huge benefit to the dynamics of the game.  

My advice: 

Shadowbane folks: some of the Wizard folks haven't played a game like this before.  Some of them will hate it.  Some of them will love it.  Please don't be asshats and scare them off before they have a chance to figure out which group they fall into.

Wizard folks: some of the Shadowbane people can be abrasive.  They're also some of the most passionate, skilled gamers that you'll ever meet, and playing with them can be an absolute blast.

I'll do the best that I can to bridge the gap on this one -- but I also recognize that not all of you are going to stick around with us long term.  Some of you are going to decide you don't like the vision, or the game, or the art style, or the community and take off.

That's fine.  Thanks for giving us a shot.

BUT the community that does stick is going to absolutely love it.  So, let's be cool to each other, and together maybe we can make something amazing.

Todd

ACE

The SB players have deep rivalies that have survived years of board warrioring, in game poorly made socks and in some cases RL consequences.  We are a vile group of sociopaths who will hold nothing back.  We have been forced to canabilize our gaming populations (when servers failed and forced to merge), we have survived years of would be devolpers barely making playable emu's and those same people custard with our trust.  We are an angry loyal base when treated fairly and a group of would be internet terrorist when abused and lied to.

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png

Well being a Wiz101 palyer, I personally am looking forward to meeting a few Shadowbane players.  I'm hoping that we can learn from each other and fun.  That is what playing any online game is about for me.  I just may have to look up Shadowbane and see what its all about.  Looking to add SB players as friends so that we can learn this new game together.

I loved shadowbane as much as the next guy, but that game definitely didn't take much skill... i'm hoping whatever engine and combat system crowfall is using is more action oriented...

You would be surprised at how much depth there actually was to combat in SB and how many people did not take advantage of different quirks in the system.

C4sIZDW.gif