Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

Shadowbane and Wizard101: odd bedfellows

You would be surprised at how much depth there actually was to combat in SB and how many people did not take advantage of different quirks in the system.

I'm really not surprised, and the game really didn't require any mechanical skill at all... games with high skill-ceilings need to require both mechanical skill and have a lot of depth for tactical skill...

I'm hoping we get a game with a pvp focus that requires both for once... maybe we won't... we will see...

Although I am mostly a Wizard101 player I am versatile when it comes to MMO games. I play Aion and League of Legends as well and both have a completely  different way of playing compared to Wizzy. I love new challenges. And as far as the rivalry I am seeing already, unfortunately, No one will know who is who and from which game. :ph34r:  I just hope to meet new people while enjoying playing another MMO game. This is new game and everyone will be learning along the way! ;) 

Haha wiz was my first mmo and I still play it to this day. Never got to play SB but I love the open pvp concept and this "burn it to the ground"  type of player base,l also I think it's great that after 10 years that some of the guilds still hate each other, now that's passion for ya! Really hoping to find some wiz players that are ready to knuckle up whit some of these SB folks, and give them a hell of a fight! 

This combination actually really really intriqued me. I honestly hadn't played or was very knowledgable on wiz or pir 101 prior to a few days ago. I actually had to go and had to do a little research.

I find this really interesting mixing up these two communities, to form eventually our very own here at Crowfall.  When I played UO and Shadowbane and than SWG etc I was a much younger gamer. Now I have children and I believe both my boys are going to be passionate gamers as I am. So this merge actually made me realize how different age generations of players can be brought together for some fun gaming experiences. 

The young me was an extreme hardcore asshat, red was always dead etc etc.

The old me is still a hardcore pvp'er with a slight to small compassion which allows me to accept this exciting mixtures of players that might never before been brought together in a game.

I am excited to see where this is all going, heck I have winters off from work and usually am playing PoE lately instead I find myself immerged into this community already, can't wait to find out more.

Sure not all of us are, but remember the target audience of the game, so its likely younger children to be on these forums, as well as people who aren't used to harsh words due to their forums having so many restrictions ( note: This isnt meant to be taken as a bash post,apologizes if it came out that way. )

That's definitely a fair point. I've already seen the term "carebears" being thrown around. :P

carebears will be thrown around a lot more. "nutcup" and "carebear" are terms shadowbaners still throw around alot.

and "mechanical skill"? You mean being able to jump/twitch and target while having your character do crouch/twitch/jump to avoid being targeted? No thanks.

Thank you Todd for addressing the “us” vs “them” mentality in such a candid way.  I was starting to feel my first post on here would be the nagging voice of a parent/teacher trying to get a diverse group to play nice.  ;)  You summed up both sides really well.  I hope we can all start to be a little more open and understanding.  While we can’t (and shouldn’t) all get along and agree on things, we can start to think of all of us all together as “we”- Crowfall players-to-be.

There are a lot of KingsIsle players here mainly for the fact that we admire and are grateful to J Todd Coleman for his vision and hard work with Wizard101.  KI gamers are very, very excited to see what else he/the teams’ creative hearts and minds are creating.  As mentioned, it will not be for everyone as it sounds like it will be a whole new type of gameplay.  I personally have been playing and loving KI games for 6+ years now as an adult (both Pirate101 and Wizard101 from Beta in fact).  That said, I also play many other less wholesome games so am familiar with some of the huge differences and challenges that are ahead.  Let’s try not to stereotype/lump all Wizard/Shadowbane/etc players together as we all have various gaming backgrounds and interests.  Let’s learn from each other and make new friends. (Feel free to add me!)            

We have all been given fair warning of what’s to come.  Let’s all remember…we’re not in the Spiral or Aerynth anymore!  I am looking forward to getting to know everyone on here who sticks with the game.

I hope there will quickly be so many gamers interested from such a wide variety of backgrounds that this topic will be rendered meaningless.

This sounds like a horrible idea from a dev perspective.  Why would you want the dev team to ask us for input but become flooded by so many random different perspectives that actual input is lost in the spam of meaningless drivel.

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png

That's an aweful academia approach to it and is avoiding the entire first part of the statement.  You litteraly stated "I hope there are so many perspectives that they all become meaningless", so how is that a helpful thought to wish for a dev team asking for input?

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png

haha, you're right about that -- we were all laughing at the office, because just we had to sanction our first person for poor forum behavior -- and it was a wizard player, not an SB one.

Todd

ACE

*NCIS slaps the offending wizard*  What were you THINKING? We have a reputation to uphold here.  <_<  :lol:

24px5oh.jpg

That's an aweful academia approach to it and is avoiding the entire first part of the statement.  You litteraly stated "I hope there are so many perspectives that they all become meaningless", so how is that a helpful thought to wish for a dev team asking for input?

You're right obviously.  I digress.

I have seen a few posts by some of the "Wizardry" folks that say they never played or never got a chance to play Shadowbane but are intrigued. Well I have some news for you: If you want to experience in some small way what the Shadowbane vets are talking about there is two emulators out there you can try out.

1. SBEmu: http://shadowbaneemulator.com/

2. Magicbane: http://www.magicbane.com/

Right now Magicbane is more faithful to what Shadowbane was, but both have downloads of the original came client so that you can try them out and see what the SB player base is talking about.

I have seen a few posts by some of the "Wizardry" folks that say they never played or never got a chance to play Shadowbane but are intrigued. Well I have some news for you: If you want to experience in some small way what the Shadowbane vets are talking about there is two emulators out there you can try out.

Right now Magicbane is more faithful to what Shadowbane was, but both have downloads of the original came client so that you can try them out and see what the SB player base is talking about.

Thanks for posting these! There are a lot of us 'Wizardry' (great term, btw) folks who could really use a crash course and this sounds like the place. I'm hitting MagicBane later this week.

I'll definitely give this a try, thanks for the links!

haha, you're right about that -- we were all laughing at the office, because just we had to sanction our first person for poor forum behavior -- and it was a wizard player, not an SB one.

Todd

ACE

Some may see that as a challenge...

4L1c3MB.jpg

Thanks for posting these! There are a lot of us 'Wizardry' (great term, btw) folks who could really use a crash course and this sounds like the place. I'm hitting MagicBane later this week.

Fair warnings: the character development system is quite unforgiving and you can easily "gimp" yourself. It's also hard to get going in the game without a guild, so I'd suggest asking around the forums for some help perhaps.

5pdWpYv.jpg

Former Shadowbane Thief Advocate,

Current Crowfall Thief Advocate  ;)