Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

Shadowbane and Wizard101: odd bedfellows

That's definitely a fair point. I've already seen the term "carebears" being thrown around. :P

Please, keep calling us carebears. We are the epitome of dewey-eyed babes in the woods. We will never, ever surprise anyone with even the smallest amount of skill or preparation.

"There's no way at all to avoid the terror that is human kind" ~Tully Ackland

:D

Seeing this unfold is going to be like watching the stereotypical goody-two-shoes work together with the school bully. Will make for great entertainment, to say the least.

I'am bad Ash, and you're good Ash, you're a goody little two-shoes.

BUT the community that does stick is going to absolutely love it.  So, let's be cool to each other, and together maybe we can make something amazing.

Todd

ACE

Wizard101 was my "gateway" at the age of 39. But I've branched out considerably. I still play KI games because of the community. Many people who have followed Todd's career and signed up for the beta have a similar path

I call the bickering that goes on in other game communities in the lull before a big expansion "expansion fever." We're restless and bored and we turn on each other. This group might be suffering from a bit of "beta fever." I think that by not scaring potential players off with mocking and gratuitous bickering even before the beta opens, we give the game its best chance. If people don't want to play the game once they see it, that's fair. But if you respect Todd, Gordon and Tully, don't poison the game community before any of us ever roll a toon. 

Reading the forums is like watching a schizophrenic at times... one post is all hard core PWN and the next is all googly eyes. It is amusing at the moment... 

I am scanning to find more information about game play and see who all is joining in on the fun. 

The community that will form around this game, when you deliver to the hungry masses, will be intense. the smack talk will not stop only grow. Players will be known for forumbane (previously mentioned) or for their game skills, occasionally for both.

The hopes now are to see how we mix... 

bring on the game

~Vada~

my previous signature did not contain nudity... words covered the good bits but alas it is gone....

signx50_zps5b5a8244.jpg

Please, keep calling us carebears. We are the epitome of dewey-eyed babes in the woods. We will never, ever surprise anyone with even the smallest amount of skill or preparation.

lol love this. Hey. Those carebears though. They get things done and know how to work as a team. And they are so cute. Im not offended if the name sticks ;)

Well said Todd. I do have to agree with you that Crowfall should have it's own voice and perspective. Personally, I would hope that this community would branch out and grow as a community together, into one of it's own. I am super excited to meet everyone. Although there are already many individuals from different communities, I am actually really excited to see how this plays out.

Always have an open mind is what I always tell myself. 

It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves.

Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege, then the raising of the next generation.

2l8etfn.png

Oh sweet Jesus. Why would you do that? Wizard people are going to take one look at those boards and either puke or cower in fear.

I honestly doubt that. Hugs and kisses, IcyWiz.

The reason he said that was that back when Shadowbane was in operation and now with the emulators the in game wars between groups are also fought on the forums, Shadowbane players even coined a word for it: Forumbane. Also back in the heyday of Shadowbane saying the wrong thing on the boards had in game consequences not just for you but your Guild and Nation, not from the devs but other players. One player mouthing off on the boards to the wrong Guild/Nation costed the original players town more than once in Shadowbane history.

haha, you're right about that -- we were all laughing at the office, because just we had to sanction our first person for poor forum behavior -- and it was a wizard player, not an SB one.

Todd

ACE

Have you been to the "Commons" lately?   Doesn't surprise me at all.  Just another one of the twizards running their mouths.  Perhaps this group of "abrasive" SB'ers will teach them the meaning of the word "respect".  ( And in the process burn their house down?)  Will be very insteresting ........and scary LOL

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I think it is beyond awesome having both the Wizard and Shadowbane folks coming together for what most likely will be an amazing game. 

I'm sure that in time all of the kinks will be ironed out between the different communities so-to-speak there.

"Watch what you say before what you say watches you."

-flash33.

Wow.  What a great post to see from a lead dev.  Already enjoying the red-name interaction and community building beginning here.

More to the point, I agree that optimally this game needs to have its own voice.  Just because a game has a focus on PvP does not mean that PvE should be thrown in the trash or looked down upon.  PvE oriented players should have ways to enjoy the game and contribute to the same meaningful world-building, player-driven end-game that the PvP players, obviously in different ways. 

Something that frequently seems overlooked when things degenerate into a "us v them" is that there are players that enjoy BOTH forms of content.  Even though I prefer GvG content at the expense of any other form, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a creative storyline, or having fun with people in-game by roleplaying and using emotes etc.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I loved shadowbane as much as the next guy, but that game definitely didn't take much skill... i'm hoping whatever engine and combat system crowfall is using is more action oriented...

You're conflating skill with being necessarily twitch/aim based action combat.

SB did require skill.  Tactical skill.  Build "skill" (aka the number cruncher min/max types that help find optimal builds for a desired function).  Knowing proper positioning, movements, calling targets and giving battle commander mid-fight orders - all of these things made the difference in fights.  People more skilled at them would win.  And this is just tactics.  Then there's the strategy aspects involved in running multi-group sieges with varying objectives.

cdinUTh.png

It is actually surprising how tame most SB players are in voice chat compared to their forum personality.

I think this is the most accurate thing in the entire thread lol

UjY5zD0.png

I think this is the most accurate thing in the entire thread lol

It's actually the entire internet, not just SB players.  Most people in person wouldn't be a fraction as brazen as they can with anonymity shielding them from consequence.

cdinUTh.png

The "cowering in fear" I referenced was the sort of fear you feel when you see a drunk clown puking on your birthday cake, not the actual fear of something scary or intimidating :)