Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

Shadowbane and Wizard101: odd bedfellows

You underestimate SB players. 

As soon as details are released we will be theorybaning PvP spec groups to maximize unbalanced game mechanics to exploit advantages as much as possible all while flaming you on the in game political forums.

meh, i don't think people are underestimating, just because they're not estimating at all. they're mostly just yawning at sb comments and then focusing on topics of actual interest. or, if it helps to use your lingo: we're yawnbaning. 

people are curious about the game, looking forward to it, people from a variety of communities...smack talk that happens is fine, goes with the territory, but for the majority of us, it's not much of a factor. (i just say this as a wiz101 player, since there seem to be some misconceptions about the various communities here...i think a lot of the "division" is a non-issue).

Srsly people? Smack talk before you can even prove your worth??!! *yawn*

Action speaks far louder than words.

J Todd Coleman is just leading you all on to get you all hyped and ready but I think he is suffering a little premature excitement. :P   We've obviously got a long wait before we even get to put our toes in the water so buckle up and think about how you are going to attack this game ... or not.

288mqgz.png

Gonna be honest, I can easily see why the Shadowbane players are more serious about this as a game than the wizard people. They are mainly an audience of adults who played an actual standard MMO while wizard is more of a online game with a unique battle engine. Truth be told, knowing the wizard community, I think most will lose interest quickly because this seems a lot out of their comfort zone. Swearing alone will get their panties in a twist so god knows what whining will happen when organized groups of actual adult gamers go against people who played a max of 4 team co-op in rather easily dungeons based on a pokemon battle system

meh, i don't think people are underestimating, just because they're not estimating at all. they're mostly just yawning at sb comments and then focusing on topics of actual interest. or, if it helps to use your lingo: we're yawnbaning. 

people are curious about the game, looking forward to it, people from a variety of communities...smack talk that happens is fine, goes with the territory, but for the majority of us, it's not much of a factor.

And that is the problem, you think the "smack talk" is just talk, to Shadowbane players it isn't. Yes they will take it over the top and to the most extreme they can without getting banned but what they say on the boards is what they will do in game. More than one "smack talker" on the old politics forum of the old Shadowbane forum found that after posting on the forums they had a glowing circle around their Guilds tree (the "heart" of a player built and owned city) and within 3 days after that no more city.

Forumbane already? Just 1 day and you guys are trying to cut down part of the population of this game?

Please wait some days before scare them all with our usual way to play the game on the forum

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

And that is the problem, you think the "smack talk" is just talk, to Shadowbane players it isn't. Yes they will take it over the top and to the most extreme they can without getting banned but what they say on the boards is what they will do in game. More than one "smack talker" on the old politics forum of the old Shadowbane forum found that after posting on the forums they had a glowing circle around their Guilds tree (the "heart" of a player built and owned city) and within 3 days after that no more city.

I'm not saying it's just smack talk...I'm sure it's as real as you want it to be...my only point is that it's irrelevant to most of us. There seem to be some misconceptions about how folks from the wizard community are reacting to smack talk...or if it makes you feel better, I'll call it "angry serious talk!!!" (with three exclamation points, just for you gauis)...point being, the reaction for many of us is just a shrug. it's not a factor in how we perceive crowfall, especially since so much will be developed based on player feedback...lots to discuss, think about, it's a fun project...sb chatter on a forum, just not a relevant part of the process for a lot of us. and like i've said elsewhere, the sb chatter is fine, forum stuff like that goes with the territory, nothing wrong with it. 

Here a solution: you can smack talk from SDR ;)

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

yeah, it's a completely bizarre mix.  and we're already seeing a bit of culture class.  The common element with both groups is me.  So, OK, let me address it.

Shadowbane folks enjoyed the game largely because it was completely open and free.  The degree of character customization, the political system, the freedom to do what you want in the game... these design elements were unprecedented (and, IMO, haven't really been matched, since.)  SB wasn't just a "free for all" pvp game, because the PvP had purpose.  It also included a strong element of strategy and politics.  It was cool.  and it attracted an incredibly passionate community as a result.

Wizard folks enjoyed the game for a number of reasons: the narrative, the combat system, the environment, the (again) the incredibly passionate community.  it also had a very strong and very popular PvP system, and offered some systems (like housing and pets) that were pretty flexible and open.

These two games are quite different.  These two communities are completely different.  My goal here is not to "mix" those communities for Crowfall, because we can't.  and we don't want to.   We need to find our own voice.   Part of that voice, in my opinion, needs to allow for others who have different opinions from yours.  That's cool, because eventually it'll be a huge benefit to the dynamics of the game.  

My advice: 

Shadowbane folks: some of the Wizard folks haven't played a game like this before.  Some of them will hate it.  Some of them will love it.  Please don't be asshats and scare them off before they have a chance to figure out which group they fall into.

Wizard folks: some of the Shadowbane people can be abrasive.  They're also some of the most passionate, skilled gamers that you'll ever meet, and playing with them can be an absolute blast.

I'll do the best that I can to bridge the gap on this one -- but I also recognize that not all of you are going to stick around with us long term.  Some of you are going to decide you don't like the vision, or the game, or the art style, or the community and take off.

That's fine.  Thanks for giving us a shot.

BUT the community that does stick is going to absolutely love it.  So, let's be cool to each other, and together maybe we can make something amazing.

Todd

ACE

So pretty much we CAN expect a Shadowbane 2.0 !!! Nice

Another big difference between Shadowbane and Wiz 101 is that almost the entire Shadowbane community knows each other on some level or another. Its like a small town MMO.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

lol'n at "asshat" first off...

Secondly, I think a general separation of the groups will be natural as players will gravitate towards those they are familiar with.  However as common interests grow over time between players, the 2 groups will begin to blend until it gets to the point where that line of separation will be blurred into stories similar to "...years ago when I was a youngster, we had to walk to school in 10ft of snow....".  Most players will reflect on the past while maintaining themselves in the present, though there will be some that will be more reluctant to blend.

lore.png

You know boy here in Alabama the only one allowed to be with my sister is me.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Another big difference between Shadowbane and Wiz 101 is that almost the entire Shadowbane community knows each other on some level or another. Its like a small town MMO.

I doubt anyone remembers me, I mean, I don't remember a single soul from that game. I barely remember Ryzom players.

It's actually the entire internet, not just SB players.  Most people in person wouldn't be a fraction as brazen as they can with anonymity shielding them from consequence.

Well said mate! this is the sad truth about internet anonymity 

hmm, its been interesting reading this thread from #1 to #117.

Like some have mentioned, yes I do shrug at insults, smacktalk, also bland comments like: "yay, cant wait for the release" or "haha its sooo gonna be this kind of game", whatever that doesn't interest me. It's what I do which reminds me of what I say a lot: "Do what ya gotta do" or even "Do what cha do"

For the main topic at hand, Yes I see the differences in communities. I kept thinking of actual political parties when seeing all these comments. Maybe this is because I dislike black and white thinking. These 2 different communities have different individuals within their groups. Honestly I know its easy to stereotype because that's how people know how to engage and react to others they don't know, but really I'd rather focus my energy on any leaked game info than trying to calm down some opposing forces who can't be in the same vicinity.

Should I mention what games I have played? I don't feel like it. All I see I'll get from it are labels and maybe others who want to chat about common games. I feel better off being an observer for now till I have information to get my hands on from the big guys.

hmm, I may have not gotten my whole point across, but this will suffice.

Here is to waiting and searching for new game info. 47 days wont come soon enough...

Well said mate! this is the sad truth about internet anonymity 

False bravado is false bravado.  I happen to be an asshat in and out of game, it's just who I be yo. 

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png

False bravado is false bravado.  I happen to be an asshat in and out of game, it's just who I be yo. 

It can also boil down to people's tolerance towards people who they view as  a " asshat", but in reality people should be expecting this behavior from everyone in the internet and not get offended by it since the person  isn't going to have to much of an impact on their real life. ( Hope i didn't derail the conversation to drastically )