Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jtoddcoleman

Shadowbane and Wizard101: odd bedfellows

And that is the problem, you think the "smack talk" is just talk, to Shadowbane players it isn't.

The thing is...there is no game.  There is literally nothing to smack talk about, so no, it's either just talk or some of these folks are insane.  Literally, as in needs professional help.

I'm leaning more that it's just talk, for now.

No one ever said we didn't need professional help....

Can't wait to see your crap burn.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

The thing is...there is no game.  There is literally nothing to smack talk about, so no, it's either just talk or some of these folks are insane.  Literally, as in needs professional help.

I'm leaning more that it's just talk, for now.

ahahahahahahahahahaha

The SB community has been playing the same game (sb and emulated versions) for 10+ years.  We all know each other, we have SB guilds from 9 years ago, we have been fighting each other for years, we have been backstabbing and crushing each other for years.  There is a lot of hate in the community.  You assume this is trash talk isn't warranted but in our circles it is, hell it's almost required.

The integral sec y dy from zero to one-sixth of pi is log to base e of the square root of three times the sixty-fourth power of i = Astrophysics Black Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

rmtUNI0.png

Eh, I don't think many Wizard players have migrated over just yet. I have been playing W101 since 2009, fun game that I fully intend to continue playing, however I am looking forward to this new game.

On the W101 vs SB, I am nutueral. I haven't heard much about the SB community except they're apparently very... aggressive. However, most of the players from W101 who have decided to join I'm pretty sure are older than 13, so I doubt that will be a problem. However, I kinda like the nickname Carebears xD

Judging from the comments I have read, once the game begins I think we will see more SB vs SB than SB vs W101 in the community. I think the group from W101 will be on nutueral ground while SB players will start getting into old habits (If I'm correct, there were huge rivalries between Guilds)

7lXqKFL.gif

I also played both.  They are different games.  Oddly enough Wizard101 and to a lesser extend but not by far, Pirate101, had a far longer staying power.  I still login to both of those and have been playing them since release.  Can't say that for many other games (in some cases though only because the servers were shutdown!).

Eh, I don't think many Wizard players have migrated over just yet. I have been playing W101 since 2009, fun game that I fully intend to continue playing, however I am looking forward to this new game.

On the W101 vs SB, I am nutueral. I haven't heard much about the SB community except they're apparently very... aggressive. However, most of the players from W101 who have decided to join I'm pretty sure are older than 13, so I doubt that will be a problem. However, I kinda like the nickname Carebears xD

Judging from the comments I have read, once the game begins I think we will see more SB vs SB than SB vs W101 in the community. I think the group from W101 will be on nutueral ground while SB players will start getting into old habits (If I'm correct, there were huge rivalries between Guilds)

this is probably correct. the one thing that stands out to me: from the sb descriptions of wizard players, i don't think they have much of a grasp on what the wiz101 community is actually like. which is understandable, if you look at the pve content, it doesn't really tell you a lot about the pvp content...and if you look at the pvp content, that doesn't even tell you much, in terms of how players got there, what their backgrounds are, gaming-wise. it's tough to look at the game itself (wiz101) and see the folks who created web sites together, set up parallel you tube channels and streaming accounts, all for a variety of pvp content. and i don't expect the misconceptions to change, i think people will just dig into crowfall...some new ecosystems will emerge, others will do what you suggest, and just re-enact older rivalries. but in terms of how people perceive the wiz101 folks, it's been entertaining to see the assumptions at work...hasn't made a lot of sense, the way folks are perceiving wiz players, but that's part of what makes it fun to read.

What bothers me is the stigma towards players of W101 and P101. There's no need to label or target people simply because of games they've played in the past. This is a different game. We are here because we want to play Crowfall. Not Shadowbane, not Wizard101, not Pirate101. There are other forums for that.

I would like to remind Shadowbane players that just because someone plays Wizard101 does not mean they have not played Shadowbane or other MMO's of it's game type. Nor does it mean that Wizard101 players won't be bad mammajammas in this new game. I'm pretty positive that most of the W101 players will be able to strategize, work the politics and fight with the best of them. After all you need to take in account a gamer's entire gaming history not just the currant game they are playing to know what they may or may not have a skill set for. This includes console games too. Point is no one game or game community is better than the other. Every game has it's good and bad points but bashing one game and it's players is unacceptable whether it be Shadowbane players or Wizard101 players doing the bashing.

I would also like to say to W101 players that what I just said to Shadowbane players can be flipped and reapplied to your point of view too. So it's best to accept everyone for themselves and not the game they play and wait until we actually see what everyone can do in game before making judgements if one is inclined to judge others. Personally I endeavor not judge anyone until I get to know what they are all about.

Here's a little side info Shadowbane and newer Wiz players might not be aware of; though W101 was not created with political and guild systems in place, the player sub-culture have brought these things into the game.

Though I'm a Wiz player I'm sure I would have at least checked out Shadowbane if I had heard of it sooner. Most likely I would have enjoyed it because I'm crazy about games of all types even board and card games. LOL However, seeing the attitude some of it's community has shown on this forum, well, It's kind of turned me off of the idea of checking into it. So come on people stop hating on each other.

My advice: 

Shadowbane folks: some of the Wizard folks haven't played a game like this before.  Some of them will hate it.  Some of them will love it.  Please don't be asshats and scare them off before they have a chance to figure out which group they fall into.

Wizard folks: some of the Shadowbane people can be abrasive.  They're also some of the most passionate, skilled gamers that you'll ever meet, and playing with them can be an absolute blast.

Having played both games (SB a lot more), this is pretty much spot on.

I personally never played Shadowbane either. I've played Wizard101 and Pirate101, as well as several differen Xbox games of different sorts.

What is Shadowbane? Open-world gives me the idea of Assassin's Creed, but that's about it. :/

Oh forgot to mention for the benefit of those who think Wizard101 players are mostly younger and kids. We aren't I know plenty over 21 players. Heck I met a lot of 50+ players who started playing wit their kids or grandkids and got hooked. I myself am 44.

I personally never played Shadowbane either. I've played Wizard101 and Pirate101, as well as several differen Xbox games of different sorts.

What is Shadowbane? Open-world gives me the idea of Assassin's Creed, but that's about it. :/

There is a thread already where myself and some other Shadowbane vets have posted on this:

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/244-can-someone-please-explain-shadowbane-to-me/

Being from both sides of this coin (as a player and dev on both) this matchup is so incredibly intriguing to me. Because as a number of Wizard101 players have stated across these forums, they're not wimpy, scared little carebears. In fact, I'd argue that there is a very large number of players from Wizard that are just as rabid and skilled as the many Shadowbane players here. I know that every last one of you Shadowbane players will feel scorned by this statement, but I've lived both sides of this and believe me, you're not going to be disappointed in the challenges you'll receive, should the many Wizard players feel like they want to stick around and be competitive.

Alongside that statement, there is also a much larger number of W101 players who don't get into the details and min-max their characters and just play for the sake of the story. I wouldn't expect them to have the same level of granularity and interest in trying to figure out every little nuance in the game to get that edge that I'd expect out of every Shadowbane player (and let's be fair, not all of us were that intricate with our character designs nor level of knowledge of how the game could be played).

And W101 players. You shouldn't take all of the Shadowbane player board warrioring to heart. Most of the time their forum persona is not mirrored in game. The in-game interactions were typically with the real person and the forum posts were typically in some sort of "character" if you will. They had to be strong and maintain their stance politically. "Politically" is used loosely here ;)

In the end, I can see players from both games coming together to be competitive whether they join causes or fight against one another. And it'll be a blast! But, the most intriguing bit for me, personally, would be to see who would win. A group of Malistaire-slaying Wizards or a group of Shadowbane-wielding Minotaurs.

Let the fun begin. :D