Soulreaver

Crowfall - What works

Crowfall while still in a developing stage imo has a lot going in the right direction. 

While it's very likely that this thread may convert into post upon post of people disagreeing, it's not the intention of why I think we should get it going - simply try and highlight which parts of the game you feel is atm working, and why. aspects you find interesting and want more of.

Crafting :
The feel of crafters having an important role is in the center of attention.  I think they nailed making crafters important and just because gear has such an impact on combat, crafters are at the core of the loop.  When the crafters require ressources, the harvesters are activated.  When the crafters have gear, the "wolves" cator to their requests.  It just makes a ton of sense.

The Visual :
I absolutely love the feel of the game, the look, the Graphics.  I find it satisfying that the game is not going for a "realistic" feel  while still making it just looks good

Targeting :
No TAB targeting?  Perfect, the fact that it's the multible aspects of controlling a character that matters also makes really good players stand out from the crowd.

Discipline/Class/Race/Vessel

While there are certainly some balance levers to be tweaked, the core design of class, race, and the three types of discipline slots feel really great. You don't have to "level in to" a basic template, nor do you have to "level in" to skills, which makes theorycrafting and trying out new build easy, and I love it compared to "reach level ten to learn fireball" Replacing that mechanic with hunting down thralls and crafting discs once that comes on line should add a punchy, meaty, and objective driven rather than grind driven progression to each character very similar to the later shadowbane levels when you were finally slotting discs. Do thing, get disc, get skills. I like that leveling exists basically as away to "patch up" holes in vessel stats allowing you to produce a generally expected result even though the actual vessel crafting system has alot of variance in it. I also like that level one characters feel functionally balanced like endgame characters. You don't need to grind XP. You need to go out and kill, harvest, or trade for equipment from the jump. That feeling of "spawn and actually play the same game you'll be playing at max level" feels pretty great.

Buffs

Direct channeled buffs feel good. The toggle/detoggle with CCs and balance of buffs via hotbar space rather than resource drain feels great. I've been playing a bard cleric lately and I don't feel like my buffs are just passive things bolted on as I do in other fire and forget buff systems.

Healing

Healing numbers and mechanics feel good. Healing is useful and desirable for sustain, but healing isn't a win button. Healing gear scaling might be a little wonky (it is generally much more powerful in fights between low geared characters and much less in fights with high geared characters) but at the "average" end of rolls on blue/green gear it feels well balanced. Large burst heals are very infrequent and as most heals are piles on smaller effects healing requires a bit more cooperation than in a lot of systems. Rather than just chasing around your heal target and reacting to them, I like that they need to react to you as well, fading from combat for a HoT to top up, walking over orbs, and generally that your heals are not a replacement for their own need to mitigate damage, but rather a supplement to it.

The Crow.

I love this aspect of the character creation/management/changing vessels.  With a little twitch in my eyes each times it jump - I mean a Crow that jumps... aside from that the whole interacting with vessels through the crow is good.  I'd even love to see more of it with respect to changing crows. When u go and change your vessel instead of immidiately being able to choose, in the Crow"world" each of your characters could be standing around in the cave, and you could fly to it to choose that vessel, would also be a cool feel and dynamic. 

The new change to ressing at a cairn from around 100 yards away is fantastic. 

Thank you Blair and others, thank you.  It makes corpse camping much harder to pull off. 

Thank you again for this change. 

Posted (edited)

Twinking. I don't think I can overstate how important it is for existing players to be able to interact with and help new players without restriction.  It's long been a problem with MMO's that extremely active players and casual players operate with almost completely different experiences, or that some players even elect not to play so they don't get "ahead" of their friends.

Almost no restrictions on gear and vessels based on activity or training makes this one of the most accessible games for those with wide variations in commitment levels.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

I really like the Crow, Vessel, and Skills systems in broad strokes, however there's still some tweaking that can be done. I'm a longtime EVE player so the system comes naturally to me.

I also like the Crafting, this is the first game I've played since SWG that has the right approach to crafting.

I feel that Crowfall's secret sauce will be the campaign system. Every other PVP-based MMO I've played were either too arena-based to develop longer-term strategies and wargames, or fell victim to stagnation or risk-aversion. If they can do this right (and it won't be trivial), they will have a true winner. The idea of having vessels in multiple worlds, from short smash-and-grab campaigns to month-long slugfests, where you get to experience the 'fresh start' of exploring an unknown and dangerous world over and over really excites me.

Vessel ideas

Seasons/Resets/Campaign differences to fit playstyles.

Time training while it catches a lot of flack I think in the end works...i cant think of many that focus it that are popular other than Eve.