PopeUrban

[Public Freehold] Burnside - Torch the Monarchy

Posted (edited)

BurnsideSign.png

"As the locals tell it, an itinerant mercenary band sacked the settlement as recompense for some sort of payment dispute. Uninterested in the minutiae of governance, the overnight queen simply ignored the peasantry and left them to their own devices. In the absence of centralized power the surrounding environs proved capable of simply governing themselves. Since that time Burnside has developed a reputation as either a wonderful or terrible place, depending on who you ask, and how much money they happen to have."

- Markus Twinsong, Traveling Scribe and Chronicler of the Fractured Kingdoms

As part of our public outreach program, the Flames of Exile guild will be embarking on an exiting new venture as of the 5.6 patch. We'd like to welcome to community to Burnside, a duty free trade community. The entire Crowfall community is invited to participate in this new venture

What IS Burnside?

As a guild we knew we'd want a central public location to sell our extra wares. We also knew that the small size of our guild meant we could cram a buttload of these vendors in to a very small surface area. So we hatched a plan. Build a town, and let everyone else fill in the rest! That means YOU small mercenary guild! That means YOU solo harvesting guy! That means YOU Mr. Guild recruiter! That means YOU rental empire guy who already filled up your own EK! EVERYONE IS APPROVED. NO ONE IS DENIED. THE ONLY LIMIT IS YOUR IMAGINATION AND THE PHYSICAL REALITY OF THE EK BOUNDARIES!

Okay but how much?

Nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch. We think EKs are a great way to build a strong community, and we think that swapping EKs constantly sucks. We like the idea of just walking down the road to your shop more than having to sit through a load screen to get to your EK. We think that convenience is more than enough payment for what's basically empty space anyway. Burnside will NEVER tax your land, and will NEVER tell you what to do with it. When you're a Burnsider, freedom is FREE.

But who's in charge?

YOU are in charge! Burnside's administrative oversight ends at giving you the right to place your parcel and telling you where we can fit it in. We won't collect taxes, and we won't tell you what to do with it. In return we get some new neighbors and friends (or frenemies, we don't discriminate) and maybe have to walk less or wait less to check out your vendors, services, or decorating projects. We won't micromanage your vassals and we don't care if you're making more money than we are on your vendors. We aren't assigning vassals. You sign up, you get approved, you're a noble and you own your land and do (almost) whatever you want with it. We endeavor to keep a "hands off" approach that lets our Burnsiders treat their little slice of the freedom pie just as if it were their own EK, only with neighbors!

I have a lot of parcels. Can I just place all of them?

Well no. Our goal is to build a community, and for this reason we're limiting Burnsiders to one parcel per guild, and we may limit parcel size based on need. If you're all alone and want to place a city parcel with just one building, we'll probably veto that and ask you to use a smaller parcel. If you're alone and just want to plop down a grove and a cottage, come on down! If you're a whole guild and want to show off your big fortress and mass of amazing houses that dwarfs our own? Come on in and put that capital parcel down! Our goal here is to crap as many people from as many facets of the game as possible in to the space to create a more vibrant community, and ensure the highest possible EK uptime  for all of our residents.

Okay but there has to be a catch.

Just one catch really. No PvP parcels. While we encourage economic and social chaos as a result of the immense freedom and equality in Burnside, the ONE rule we have for our Burnsiders is to keep your violence out of Burnside. This is mostly to cover our own assets, and because we'd really like it if even people we hate grabbed a piece just to taunt us. its more interesting that way. There should be plenty of other enterprising individuals setting up arenas or blasted violent hellscapes and we don't wanna infringe on that awesome idea. Living in Burnside might mean you get ripped off or made fun of, but it'll never mean you get ganked. Save that for the campaigns!

What if I just destroyed your whole campaign fortress and ganked your guys for millions worth of gold? I'll get kicked right?

Nope. You'll get to put our heads on pikes and taunt us about it in world chat. That's the price of FREEDOM. The only reason we'd ever banish you is if you've abused our trust (for example, putting down multiple parcels from a single guild or family group while claiming you're all strangers) or broken the golden rule (no PvP parcels)

We conceptualized Burnside as a freehold where enemies and friends alike can trash talk, show off loot, and rip one another off in peace. We'd be hypocrites if the rules worked differently for us than everyone else.

Sounds awesome! How do I sign up?

Becoming a Burnsider is as easy as replying to this thread with:

Account Name

Guild (if any)

Number of "family members" (people you plan to move on to your property immediately)

General usage intentions (just so we can put you on the directory)

How do you decide who gets a spot?

Burnside management will be granting nobility on a first come first serve basis. That's it. As 5.6 hits (and for every wipe thereafter) The central FOEX parcel will be placed and Nobility of one parcel will be granted in the order of application until the EK fills up.

Burnside Directory:

Old Burnside & Burnside Gate - Flames of Exile

As Yet Unnamed Property - Alyriel

Edited by PopeUrban

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alyriel said:

It looks interesting as a concept, but not intended only as a merchant hub? 

It is intended as whatever the residents want to use it for. Set up an RP brothel or build a jumping puzzle for all we care. The whole point is that we like the idea of our "public" EK to have some of the actual public in it because having neighbors is more interesting than being surrounded by empty fields.

Whatever you were going to do with your own EK, you can also do that in Burnside if you want, unless it involves turning on PvP. Gotta cover our own loots after all since our vendors will be there :)

Edited by PopeUrban

8 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

It is intended as whatever the residents want to use it for. Set up an RP brothel or build a jumping puzzle for all we care. The whole point is that we like the idea of our "public" EK to have some of the actual public in it because having neighbors is more interesting than being surrounded by empty fields.

Whatever you were going to do with your own EK, you can also do that in Burnside if you want, unless it involves turning on PvP. Gotta cover our own loots after all since our vendors will be there :)

I didnt think pvp could be turned on at a per parcel basis.  

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Alyriel said:

I didnt think pvp could be turned on at a per parcel basis.  

Not yet, but its supposed to be a feature at some point in the future. We're just setting the ground rules now so people don't feel like they have to move later. It is also impossible for the monarch to levy taxes on nobles at the moment, but that's a planned feature. I remind you we won't be using that feature either because we value FREEDOM and EK TAXATION IS THEFT, and not the honest and hard working kind of theft where you go stab a guy and rifle through his pockets but the cowardly kind where you sit in a shiny chair and collect money for doing nothing.

But I mean if you want to practice that kind of theft on your own burnside land, go ahead. its your land. tax your heart out. We just live here and hand out free nobility rights.

Edited by PopeUrban

Welcome to the club of five. And all the best for your EK concept. 

Am i assuming correctly that you will host it on a US server? :)

49 minutes ago, Kraahk said:

Welcome to the club of five. And all the best for your EK concept. 

Am i assuming correctly that you will host it on a US server? :)

Yeah, USEAST probably, but since its a noncombat EK it shouldn't matter much one way or the other.

On 4/11/2018 at 9:50 AM, PopeUrban said:

Sounds awesome! How do I sign up?

Becoming a Burnsider is as easy as replying to this thread with:

Account Name

Guild (if any)

Number of "family members" (people you plan to move on to your property immediately)

General usage intentions (just so we can put you on the directory)

How do you decide who gets a spot?

Burnside management will be granting nobility on a first come first serve basis. That's it. As 5.6 hits (and for every wipe thereafter) The central FOEX parcel will be placed and Nobility of one parcel will be granted in the order of application until the EK fills up.

Burnside Directory:

Old Burnside & Burnside Gate - Flames of Exile

I like your concept, Ill apply:

Account name:  Alyriel

Guild: TBC 

Number of members moving in:  initially 2.

General use (at the start) merchant.