Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Questions about Crowfall - thanks for the answers! too bad I cannot reply...

Hi there! I'm thinking about buying this game because it seems to be what I like and the developers seem nice and involved/passionate about what they do (and I really hope it's not going to be just a big hoax like with other games). But because that sum of money is quite an investment for me, I would like a few more details on what/how the game is (or is going to be), so that I can make a properly informed decision. Here are my questions:

1. On the main website there is that bit of text about "many worlds, each with its own set of rules". What does this actually mean? Step by step. I create a character, enter the game, then I am able to move from world to world? Are they like some kind of (limited) events instead? Is there a way to "finish" all the pve/pvp aspects from a world (i.e. being forced more or less to move to another)? I'm hoping for a more comprehensive explanation of what this multitude of worlds entails, basically :)

2. Is this going to be a PVE or PVP game? 50/50? Any particular focus in any direction? I'm asking because I really don't care about PVP and would like to get into a complex and fun PVE system.

3. More on the PVE aspect, what systems will there be in place for more casual people (i.e. those that won't have the time for hardcore raiding - if there will be anything similar to that in here)? For example, WoW has the LFR system so you can do a lower difficulty of a raid with random people. What's the equivalent for this game?

4. Still on the main website there was something about "Campaigns" that you can do with your characters. Basically you go in, gather what you can in the time allotted, then some faction/whatever conquers that area, then you return with your spoils? So, each campaign will have specific... loot? How's the power level going to be? Are people going to be "forced" to do some/all campaigns otherwise they won't have good enough gear and such? Which leads me to my last question...

5. What catch-up mechanism are going to be in place for new players and such? For example, how (and in how much time) am I going to catch up to people that have been playing for 3 months more or 3 times more time per day? Are we going to be completely segregated? Would love some details on this aspect (PS: I hate hiding difficulty and progress 100% behind played time instead of skill and diversity).

6. Will people that don't have friends to play with be at a disadvantage? Can you elaborate?

Thank you very much and sorry for the many questions :blush:

26 minutes ago, Crusader2010 said:

1. On the main website there is that bit of text about "many worlds, each with its own set of rules". What does this actually mean? Step by step. I create a character, enter the game, then I am able to move from world to world? Are they like some kind of (limited) events instead? Is there a way to "finish" all the pve/pvp aspects from a world (i.e. being forced more or less to move to another)? I'm hoping for a more comprehensive explanation of what this multitude of worlds entails, basically :)

the basic idea is, that every campaign (basically a server) starts, and after some time ends. each of those campaigns can have different rulesets 3-faction, 12-faction or gvg. And different win conditions.

28 minutes ago, Crusader2010 said:

2. Is this going to be a PVE or PVP game? 50/50? Any particular focus in any direction? I'm asking because I really don't care about PVP and would like to get into a complex and fun PVE system.

Almost exclusively pvp, the very little pve there is, is killing some mobs for materials. 

30 minutes ago, Crusader2010 said:

3. More on the PVE aspect, what systems will there be in place for more casual people (i.e. those that won't have the time for hardcore raiding - if there will be anything similar to that in here)? For example, WoW has the LFR system so you can do a lower difficulty of a raid with random people. What's the equivalent for this game?

nothing of that kind is currently planned.

30 minutes ago, Crusader2010 said:

4. Still on the main website there was something about "Campaigns" that you can do with your characters. Basically you go in, gather what you can in the time allotted, then some faction/whatever conquers that area, then you return with your spoils? So, each campaign will have specific... loot? How's the power level going to be? Are people going to be "forced" to do some/all campaigns otherwise they won't have good enough gear and such? Which leads me to my last question...

I already stated what campaigns are. The catch is, that more challenging campaigns will have higher ranked nodes, which have better chances of high quality resources. All gear in this game is crafted, but the powercurve is rather shallow. 

33 minutes ago, Crusader2010 said:

5. What catch-up mechanism are going to be in place for new players and such? For example, how (and in how much time) am I going to catch up to people that have been playing for 3 months more or 3 times more time per day? Are we going to be completely segregated? Would love some details on this aspect (PS: I hate hiding difficulty and progress 100% behind played time instead of skill and diversity).

The game has a passive leveling system, similar to eve. and will at some point have a similar catchup mechanic with players selling tomes that can be applied to skill trees, to advance without waiting. 

34 minutes ago, Crusader2010 said:

6. Will people that don't have friends to play with be at a disadvantage? Can you elaborate?

Ohh yes, it's a full loot pvp game, in the faction campaigns you have people of your faction that can assist you. in the gvg campaigns, you are basically the prey. 

1 hour ago, Crusader2010 said:

Is there a way to "finish" all the pve/pvp aspects from a world

This is not a "consume the artistic content" style of game.  You don't move from a level5 zone up to a level10 zone eventually hitting level50.  It's a totally different kind of game.   Worlds will finish themselves... by winter, players will have reaped all the resources and will be fighting each other to see who gets to keep the lion's share of the spoils.

Edited by Brindylln
System thought I was posting while I was still editing!

The Campaign Worlds work like a 4x strategy game (think Civilization or Age of Empires). Each one starts with a fresh map, and players explore, build, and fight until the time limit (3 months for example) or the win conditions are met. Campaigns can have different rules like 3-faction and looting, and harder rulesets have better resources. All items are crafted by players, and resources are collected from the world by harvesting or pve. 

The Eternal Kingdoms are permanent housing worlds, this is where you live in between campaign worlds - you can build a shared EK with friends or have your own, and decide on the rules (pvp on or off, public or invite-only).

This is a pvp-focused game, everything is player-driven and happens in an open-world environment. There is no pve-only content like XP questing or dungeon/raid instances.

tiPrpwh.png

16 hours ago, Crusader2010 said:

Hi there! I'm thinking about buying this game because it seems to be what I like and the developers seem nice and involved/passionate about what they do (and I really hope it's not going to be just a big hoax like with other games). But because that sum of money is quite an investment for me, I would like a few more details on what/how the game is (or is going to be), so that I can make a properly informed decision. Here are my questions:

i'd suggest you read this unofficial summary and check out the official FAQs.

https://sites.google.com/site/crowfallresource/

> What is Crowfall? (unofficial summary)

p.s. and if you have signed up for an account here you are in the queue for free closed beta later too, so can try it out later if not sure without buying 

Edited by Tinnis

campaign worlds last for a set duration until they are won. this could be multiple months. you move your characters between worlds, but some elements may be lost when the world is destroyed. then on to a brand new and different world.

generally more of a PvP focus, unless you count the harvesting, crafting and capturing thrall spirit monsters as PvE [along with say clearing areas of deadly monsters]. basically you don't grind monsters for PvE experience really. you might also count campaign win conditions as a form of PvE ish as well i guess but little info

most progression is by time based passive training skill trees - which progresses at the same rate if you are playing or offline. you don't need to 24/7 grind. ps. there aren't really raids in this game. [unless you count a player vs player siege on a city!] :P

4. Still on the main website there was something about "Campaigns" that you can do with your characters. Basically you go in, gather what you can in the time allotted, then some faction/whatever conquers that area, then you return with your spoils? So, each campaign will have specific... loot? How's the power level going to be? Are people going to be "forced" to do some/all campaigns otherwise they won't have good enough gear and such?

there will be different campaign worlds with different rules about what can be imported and exported into them. e.g. some worlds will not allow anyone to bring anything in - so everyone starts 'naked' with nothing etc. and even in the worlds where you can import - most of the crafting will take place within the world as all gear can decay or be looted, so bringing something in at the start might not last very long either and generally the amounts that you can import or export will be small compared to the amount of gear you would use inside a world.

they have hinted at "skill tomes" as a post launch catch up / trade mechanic for the passive skill trees. and generally they are aiming for "horizontal progression" whereby the more experienced players won't be infinitely more powerful that newer ones and that your gameplay, gear and build will also matter along with your training.

while guilds will be important there will also be worlds which have factions instead - e.g. 3 factions or 12 factions rather than just guild vs guild - which should be easier for those without established connections.

Edited by Tinnis

• Crusader2010 changed the title to Questions about Crowfall - thanks for the answers! too bad I cannot reply...