Adrienne

How to drive players off

On 4/15/2018 at 4:29 PM, Adrienne said:

Alternatively, make the guards do their jobs, or make it necessary for at least three people to be involved in taking over a fort, not just one. 

I like this idea, it encourages team play. 

On 4/15/2018 at 4:48 PM, PopeUrban said:

Use your ears. Every method to enter a fort makes a significant amount of noise using very distinct sound effects. You can hear the footsteps of anyone approaching your fort, and you can hear the distinct effects of people breaking walls or using teleport abilities to bypass them.

Devil's advocate but, at the moment some of us can't use our ears. Its a rare day when my sound isn't bugged out. :(

That being said, even with my horrible FPS I'm at least able to react when someone approaches... It doesn't help me stay alive but I can usually spam the spirit bank.

Git Gud Noob..

I see a lot of those types of comments here and in other games that ultimately failed.

We'll see how this all plays out but games that cater to the worst in us don't do well. 

On 4/16/2018 at 1:43 AM, Kraahk said:

Welcome.

This topic came up in the past, it comes up from time to time, and it will come up in the future. As long as it is a PvP game with looting, characters will get killed and looted and people will be annoyed. And it nearly doesn't matter what the game does to prevent it - it doesn't change the principle. 

For example: Only about a year ago there were no EK's, there were no beachhead, no guards, no faction specific spawn points. And of course people got killed and they got looted. And they said: crap game, don't like. And now we have all this stuff, but the feedbacks are still the same. 

The important thing to know, and ACE has stated this several times now, is that it would be no problem to build a dedicated frame for a positiv newplayer experience. The only thing is: It would cost time and money and delay the release of the game. Especially since they would have to redo this newplayer frame for every single change in the game. And in pre-alpha things and code changes all the time.

What they do is to bring in stuff that makes life easier for players ASAP, but only if the underlying system is ready to be tested (like currently the guards). And we then have the opportunity and put in our two cents to make the game better. 

Crowfall is basically a teamplay game. It is possible to play it solo - but it is much harder. This won't change a lot. If you are alone, you are in danger

Especially during pre-alpha, and surely still during alpha, they game won't feel like being done and there will be now perfect frame for newplayer experiences. This time is for gamers with some tester mindset. Not for the common player.

tl:dr

Crowfall is not done, things are missing, there are bugs, there is no focus on newplayer experience - playing it right now requires a certain tester mindset. And this won't change soon. Everbody who joins Crowfall now has to understand that - or will get a warm welcome from Lord Frustration.

Just wanted to quote this.  Lord Frustration definitely paid me a visit last night. I fell into the trap that the game looks almost finished and I was frustrated over lack of in game info.  Asking the community is ok, they answer, but I'm sure it's the same questions over and over.  I look forward to seeing a new player experience or more informative in game, at my finger tips, info.

As to the OP I am in favor of at a minimum having basic tables and intermediate tables that cost at the beachhead fort.  Out in the CW combat area everything is fair game.

On 4/20/2018 at 11:39 AM, GrimWest said:

Git Gud Noob..

I see a lot of those types of comments here and in other games that ultimately failed.

We'll see how this all plays out but games that cater to the worst in us don't do well. 

The "Git Gud Noob" mentality is definitely a huge negative, especially in a game which is supposed to encourage team pay.

That being said, in the game I haven't actually seen that much of it. Probably because of the high buy in and the fact that people who play are in a tester's mindset. On the flip side, yeah, its definitely present in the forums... 

I'm going to maintain hope that Crowfall will continue to be a game where people try and recruit and offer help as opposed to simply telling you to get good. 

3 hours ago, oldknees said:

Just wanted to quote this.  Lord Frustration definitely paid me a visit last night. I fell into the trap that the game looks almost finished and I was frustrated over lack of in game info.  Asking the community is ok, they answer, but I'm sure it's the same questions over and over.  I look forward to seeing a new player experience or more informative in game, at my finger tips, info.

As to the OP I am in favor of at a minimum having basic tables and intermediate tables that cost at the beachhead fort.  Out in the CW combat area everything is fair game.

While the crafter in me thinks this is a wonderful idea, the realist disagrees.

The risk reduction that brings is huge since there are several easy ways to funnel things back to the beachhead. You can teleport from any point on the map, you can use the banks to bring goods, it just makes it too safe. 

The way I see it, in an import friendly campaign, the beachhead should be more of a market than a craft station.

But that's just my opinion.