Pann

Murder of Crows AMA

17 hours ago, entityofsin said:

The devs are fellow Crows. And if we all see them in game we will murder them repeatedly too. :D

Most of us are easy to murder too. Funny how little time we actually have to get good at this after we spend all day building it....

3 hours ago, vkromas said:

You have more computing capacity than Space X and Nasa combined. I want 5 monitors and a 75 inch tv screen! 

@Tinnis Tell me more about these creepy podcasts. I really like reading Creepypasta but haven't gotten into any podcasts just yet.

@Anhrez How do you have so much time to game, work, and craft IRL?! Can you share your time management secrets?

Everyone else: What was the last thing you binged on? TV Show, game, movies? I'm kind of addicted to Breath of the Wild right now and that's all I can think about. 

http://pseudopod.org

likely the best starter for horror - professional stories. range between 20m to an hour. weekly or so.

also

http://talestoterrify.com

however  https://www.thenosleeppodcast.com also ok but more amateur as taken from reddit :P

oh and there is always http://www.welcometonightvale.com but i generally avoid more episodic formats (and frankly more surreal wore thin)

14 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

http://pseudopod.org

likely the best starter for horror - professional stories. range between 20m to an hour. weekly or so.

also

http://talestoterrify.com

however  https://www.thenosleeppodcast.com also ok but more amateur as taken from reddit :P

oh and there is always http://www.welcometonightvale.com but i generally avoid more episodic formats (and frankly more surreal wore thin)

Bookmarked! I love this kind of stuff!

3 hours ago, vkromas said:

You have more computing capacity than Space X and Nasa combined. I want 5 monitors and a 75 inch tv screen! 

@Tinnis Tell me more about these creepy podcasts. I really like reading Creepypasta but haven't gotten into any podcasts just yet.

@Anhrez How do you have so much time to game, work, and craft IRL?! Can you share your time management secrets?

Everyone else: What was the last thing you binged on? TV Show, game, movies? I'm kind of addicted to Breath of the Wild right now and that's all I can think about. 

Better living through chemistry ...............

6 hours ago, EdZ said:

Opps, was logged in from wrong account.

I'll give you a 10 second lead on killing me.. just identify yourself ahead of time and with proof.. then I'll proceed to stabbing your face like a dart board. Don't worry about whatever you're carrying, I'll put it to good use. I promise. :P

Btw, what do you work on for Crowfall?

28 minutes ago, entityofsin said:

I'll give you a 10 second lead on killing me.. just identify yourself ahead of time and with proof.. then I'll proceed to stabbing your face like a dart board. Don't worry about whatever you're carrying, I'll put it to good use. I promise. :P

As long as it goes to a good use, well that's more than fair!

28 minutes ago, entityofsin said:

Btw, what do you work on for Crowfall?

Mostly server side stuff -- architected the Central Service, which handles login and skills and all the stuff that has to work for everyone all the time (Tim has taken over server side of skills for this latest iteration). In game I did Secure Trading, and now I'm doing the NPC stuff. So that first 5.5 build where the server fell over under the load of the NPCs -- that you can blame me for...

Funny story about that. Designers were complaining we couldn't get more than about 50 NPCs in the game, so Chris redid the whole thing to make it like 4x more efficient (and easier for Mark to work with too boot). Then he left and turned it over to me. I was still just figuring out the basics of how to keep them from bumping into walls and drooling on themselves when suddenly the designers decided to put to put 1,200 NPCs into wrath. Since I'm sure they know that 50 x 4 is only 200, not 1200, I think a stray line got misread as a 1 on a whiteboard somewhere. Either that or Blair hates me. :-)

On 4/20/2018 at 12:30 PM, vkromas said:

Last thing I binged on... well... I've been playing the Witcher 3 for a while now. That's all I can think of.

@thomasblair If you could have any super power, what would it be?

@KrakkenSmacken If you could listen to only one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

@Pann Who is your favorite author, and what's your favorite work of theirs?

@vkromas If you were abducted and were greeted by aliens that told you you're the first human they've met, what would you say to them? Humanity is counting on you.

@jtoddcoleman Do you have any pets, and if you could have one or another, what would you keep as a pet?

@Tinnis You get three wishes-- of course you can't wish for more. What would you wish for?

Feel free to answer one if I didn't tag you- just mixing it up :P

On 4/20/2018 at 7:06 AM, Tark said:

my battle station is not ready to be seen yet. I still need to build a new PC and buy a few more TV's. I have 5 monitors on my desk and a 75 inch tv to my right.

I'll show you the cloud gaming server I've been working on. It runs on vSphere and I have 4 VM's dedicated to crowfall. There is still a lot of work to do on it before I'm done. 

22 Core Xeon
96 gigs of DDR4
2x 1080 TI
2x 1070 TI

fwaP4a6.jpg

I think I could afford the power cord.

On 4/20/2018 at 7:01 AM, KrakkenSmacken said:

47+  Probably not the oldest, but possibly in the running.  

The real question is, who here's first MMO experience was a MUD?  (Raises hand)

47+ as well (July).  DikuMUD or CircleMUD waasn't sure.  Had Midgaard, beastly fido, cursed stones that I never realized I shouldn't be picking up.  Got into pick-up groups and was killing knights in some castle far above my level.  Really cool stuff for the time.

@Tyrant in your murder of crows you said you like to listen to podcasts while gardening etc - which shows do you follow? :)

(side question would be: what were you fav past or current MUDs....)

5 hours ago, Tinnis said:

@Tyrant in your murder of crows you said you like to listen to podcasts while gardening etc - which shows do you follow? :)

(side question would be: what were you fav past or current MUDs....)

Best Podcasts:   No Agenda, Massively Op Podcast, the AIAS Game Makers Notebook, The Way I Heard It, Spam Spam Humbug, The Tom Woods Show, The Survival Podcast

Never got into MUDs much, when I joined Kesmai in 1995 all the games we had were graphical, and my earliest online game experiences were on the Plato system (1977) which were also graphical.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Tinnis said:

@ThaddisSabbah i wish for...no wishes because genies are trolls :P

@KrakkenSmacken are there any cool browser or otherwise based MUDs people should mess around with when bored at work? :)

"At work" causes a problem.

I am not sure about at work because I go through Steam, but if you are a programmer, or want to learn programming, HACKMUD is pretty good for a while, when I played it 6 months ago. Unless you really really dig into the code building. Then it's good for longer.  Since programming is my full time job, not so fun to come home and code a game.

I personally sorta play "Crowfall Forum Warrior" from work.  It's a fun social game with lots of intrigue, opinion, and even some solid butt hurt.  

16 hours ago, ThaddisSabbah said:

@KrakkenSmacken If you could listen to only one song for the rest of your life, what would it be?

A few parameters missing in this question.  As in, how often I would have to listen to it, how isolated from non-music mental distractions am I (E.G. Mark Watney on Mars, or am I just basically deaf to all ambient music except this song when in my current environment).

Given the Mark Watney scenario, I would have to say Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries. The last thing you want in isolation with music is words.  Can probably create a bunch of different lyrics to go with the music and sing badly with that song, and it's almost always a small dopamine bump when you hear it.

In our current society with just being ambient music deaf,  that would have to be White Wedding by Billy Idol.  Great music to "drive fast and shoot things" to, which is probably the only time I would listen to it.  Given the normal distractions in our society, driving is when you can use music the most. Flight of the Valkyries sort of works there too, but I have a lot of great memories of Billy and driving way too fast from my youth, so that would be my goto. (Kinda still is).

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

9 minutes ago, Tyrant said:

Best Podcasts:   No Agenda, Massively Op Podcast, the AIAS Game Makers Notebook, The Way I Heard It, Spam Spam Humbug, The Tom Woods Show, The Survival Podcast

Never got into MUDs much, when I joined Kesmai in 1995 all the games we had were graphical, and my earliest online game experiences were on the Plato system (1977) which were also graphical.

99% invisible.  Definitely an interesting podcast.

On 2018-04-19 at 11:38 AM, Tinnis said:

no one reads the intent of the thread, which was to question the non dev community! hah

open question: who thinks they are the oldest here? :P

I don't think I'm the oldest, but figure I'm up at the top of the list @ 51 +female makes me extraordinary! :)