Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Crowfall have creative tools like Landmark?

I found out that both Landmark and Crowfall both use Voxel Farm tech so I was wondering will we be able to do anything like in Landmark? I'm not sure because Landmark could have modified it heavily. Just wondering.

Can't wait for this to come out! But I will wait for a great game like this is shaping up to be. :) 

Also since I haven't backed the game or something I found I couldn't post in any other section.

Crowfall does not use the same kind of full voxel terraforming and block placement as Landmark.  Crowfall uses "tetris pieces" for land placement, and "lego pieces" for buildings. The short tutorial video show an overview of the building system Crowfall uses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5vIplExoUY

And a longer video showing how the "annex" system will work for buildings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1fMbLrcgzM

It's a fun system, and is less of a performance drain on the servers than voxels would be.

tiPrpwh.png

10 hours ago, gregoryw3 said:

I found out that both Landmark and Crowfall both use Voxel Farm tech so I was wondering will we be able to do anything like in Landmark? I'm not sure because Landmark could have modified it heavily. Just wondering.

Can't wait for this to come out! But I will wait for a great game like this is shaping up to be. :) 

Also since I haven't backed the game or something I found I couldn't post in any other section.

Welcome to the forums.

As the previous posters hinted, Crowfall will not provide free voxel building opportunities. Which is to say: at least not in the near future. Since they already use Voxel Farm, it is possible (though not too likely) that this may change in a future update in later years.

In Crowfall the voxel technology is used for a dynamic wall destruction system. You could say that wall parts consist of several voxel structures. 

uMI9Ys7.jpg

Those can be damaged more or less specifically. Meaning that you can blow away specific parts of a wall, instead of making it just degrade like it works in most games (like after reaching a certain hitpint limit just going down from "perfect" to "75% damaged" then to "50% damage" and so on). The wall will blow apart where you hit it and the parts will fly around and (some of them) will actually BE there. 

Here is like it looked like in the early Siege Perilous tests two years ago.

Here is newer version of the wall destruction from the official Campaign tutorial video, which is made of current ingame footage:

tl;dr: In Crowfall voxels are for destruction of buildings. But not for voxel-by-voxel building like in Landmark. It may come in later years, but I'd say it's unlikely, because then they would also have to change the whole destruction system. But, who knows. (Btw, Dual Universe provides voxel building - in a science fiction environment -  and is also in development currently.)   

The building destruction shown above doesn't actually use voxels; we came up with a different technical approach to achieve our objective(s). 

Our design goals were:

- building destruction (castle walls, etc) with realistic simulation of falling debris

- harvesting of objects in the world (rocks, ore, trees, etc) allowing for various states and complete removal of the asset,

- tunneling under walls for sieging (guinecean burrow)

(NOTE: all of the above are already in, and working)

There were a few other design goals that we considered secondary, and so we explored them but ultimately decided against pursuing them:

- allowing players to build structures "brick by brick", and

- allowing players to dig holes in the ground

Both of the above came with considerable downsides, i.e. they conflicted with other systems, added a ton of design complexity and cost, and/or would severely impact performance... ultimately we decided that the "juice wasn't worth the squeeze"... meaning it just wasn't worth it.  They aren't core to the vision. 

That's not to say we wouldn't consider consider looking at these features again -- and if the game is successful, I hope and expect that we'll be adding cool stuff for years... but even if we did re-consider the above, 1) we probably wouldn't go with a voxel solution.  2) we wouldn't do it until well after launch and 3) the calculus would have to change in terms of cost, complexity and performance for us to reach anything other than the same conclusion.

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

5 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

- tunneling under walls for sieging (guinecean burrow)

You mean Duelist Tunnel? Guinecian Knights, Clerics, and Duelist burrow ability does not bypass walls. I'm still unclear whether that is intended or not as it has been referred to in the past as "Guinecian Burrow" althought this specific functionality is a class skill, not a race skill.

Edited by PopeUrban

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

5 hours ago, miraluna said:

It's the Guinecean Duelist one that is intended to go under walls:

https://malekai.org/powers/tunnel

In the Archetype days, Duelist was the only Guinecean so I think JTC is referring to the original design goals there. 

Yes, that is my question.

Is this the intended limitation, or are all guinecians intended to have tunneling ability at some point in the future. I wonder because @jtoddcoleman is still referring to this ability as "Guinecian Burrow" rather than "Duelist Tunnel"

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"