Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Skill Mechanics & You - Official Discussion Thread

Having the ability to blend across is also important. That is one of the better aspects of vessels and how they impact the passive skills. I'm already looking seeing the need for two unique vessels for crafting and a third for harvesting. Even as a crafter the way the system is built there is some additional uniqueness in the two major non-skill pieces.

1) Armor and it's bonuses to crafting

2) The specs of the vessels themselves. I'm already planning on getting a tweaked out vessel for stonemasonry. :)

Some people may want a single vessel to craft with others like me are going to have specialized vessels to leverage every drop of buffs/racial benefits heck even profession since I think high end plate might eek out an extra point or two (haven't tested that yet).

My diatribe before is that I just don't like a single endpoint in the crafting/exploration chains. The game is forcing people to homogenize to get that last bit of buff.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoa!? Where did this come from? I’ve got issues with the skill trees...but it being too much of an on-rails theme park isn’t one of them. You backed a game in which there was zero diversity of races

These will just build up over time as we add content and new systems. As we continue to turn from a large Test environment to a game, things will get parceled up and added to the trees. Right Now;

This is actually a really good point, and one that escaped my notice.  Let me think about it and get back to you. Todd  

6 hours ago, APE said:

Such basic choices are found in every game. What comes next is what I'm concerned about.

What I pick Human, I'll be like every Human when it comes to training. Maybe not down to the exact 0.1% Crit chance at every moment along the way, but eventually, there is an end.

There is no meaningful horizontal choice within any particular path.

Then again, ACE doesn't really hype up CF as a horizontal game, so it's more of what I wish than what is planned. Was hoping for less of the old, not just a new wrapper.

What if a company did something crazy and simply didn't include a monotonous system just to have it because it's a "MMO" that has to have some cookie cutter features?

If they can't/won't make it interesting, why include it?

To me it seems like such a waste of resources.

We either get active grinding or passive waiting. Neither of which is overly stimulating or challenging. It's a means to an end that doesn't need to exist. I've seen people praise passive training as it lets them stay caught up with others, but it really doesn't, it allows them to stay caught up with others doing the same thing in only that one area and on top of that, they added active leveling (Vessels) in-game as well, which defeats the passive purpose.

They would probably lose the portion of the MMO audience those sorts of things appeal too. You may not like it, but many do.

They already sorta cut the legs out from under the achiever types, who tend to dominate MMO's by taking away the bulk of active progression.  All achievements currently are tied to gear you will eventually lose, no permanent achievements.

Stripping out all XP like progression would be a bridge too far.  There is already quite a number of us (I include myself) that wish there was more active, permanent, progression options for our crows than Ek Lego to slate our thirst for achievement. 

Different mechanics for different types of players.  Some want training to be what distinguishes them from others, which outside of professions is not it's purpose, while others want training to be a barrier to achievement (the best sword maker), so that they can have a niche that not everyone else can fit into.

It's purpose is not to be stimulating or challenging. Not everything in a game has the same purpose.  Select your options when you login, and ignore it, if it's not your cup of tea.  Combat players will ignore crafting as much as possible. There is no point in trying to ruin crafting to appeal to them. Same goes for the progression.

I have a question regarding the new Skill Training layout.  In the current system there didn't seem to be a hard stop when you had enough time to complete a tree.  As a result, if you didn't get to log in and spend your time in the time bank...you ended up with a surplus you couldn't do anything with and the time just sat there in that particular tree.

I have several days/hours banked in completed trees that sit there taunting me like 'that'll teach ya for having a life!'.  Is this being addressed in the new system somehow?  Will banked points be able to be spilled over into the next evolution?  I.E.: Let's say I complete the Monster section and the points continue banking, will I be able to spill off the excess into Underfoot?  How about those that don't have a next evolution like...Runecrafting...could excess points be spilled into another craft at a reduced rate?  Even a half return would be better than zero. 

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

39 minutes ago, Waikikamukau said:

I have a question regarding the new Skill Training layout.  In the current system there didn't seem to be a hard stop when you had enough time to complete a tree.  As a result, if you didn't get to log in and spend your time in the time bank...you ended up with a surplus you couldn't do anything with and the time just sat there in that particular tree.

I have several days/hours banked in completed trees that sit there taunting me like 'that'll teach ya for having a life!'.  Is this being addressed in the new system somehow?  Will banked points be able to be spilled over into the next evolution?  I.E.: Let's say I complete the Monster section and the points continue banking, will I be able to spill off the excess into Underfoot?  How about those that don't have a next evolution like...Runecrafting...could excess points be spilled into another craft at a reduced rate?  Even a half return would be better than zero. 

In the long run you'll be able to put that excess banked time into a Tome and sell it.

IhhQKY6.gif

39 minutes ago, Waikikamukau said:

You'll eventually be able to put that extra time into a tome you can trade to other people who don't have that specific tree complete, but I don't know of any other kind of plan.

Hi, I'm moneda.