Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaiZoq

Spears

Someone already posted the halberd, but also this one (while not a spear type, still odd)

Crowfall_CharacterCreate_runes.jpg

That appears to be some fantasy variant of kusarigama. So, it's at least based on a real weapon.

Regarding spears (and other reach-y weapons), I really hope that, with collision and active blocking and hitting, we can have double-ranks of soldiers in battles, with people in the second rank making overhead attacks over the front ranks' shield wall, etc. Not necessarily perfect simulation, but just, the ability to actually have some kind of ranks that matter (and to viably be able to attack from the second rank without always accidentally hitting your friends because you just attack "in front of you" in a really vague fashion, etc.)

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.

That appears to be some fantasy variant of kusarigama. So, it's at least based on a real weapon.

Regarding spears (and other reach-y weapons), I really hope that, with collision and active blocking and hitting, we can have double-ranks of soldiers in battles, with people in the second rank making overhead attacks over the front ranks' shield wall, etc. Not necessarily perfect simulation, but just, the ability to actually have some kind of ranks that matter (and to viably be able to attack from the second rank without always accidentally hitting your friends because you just attack "in front of you" in a really vague fashion, etc.)

I think they called it Ice cleaver?

It's definitely interesting, heh. It's not exactly a kusarigama with just a fantasy exaggerated head or something. But, that's the closest weapon I can think of to it. There's another weapon similar to the kusarigama, I think. But, none of them look like an axe/guillotine like that. Still, realistic or not, it's great to see non-conventional weapons in the game. And its sad that spears and polearms actually fall into that category for MMOs. But, hey, that'll make it all the more glorious when we get to play Crowfall with them, ^_^

Spears are weapons typically used by a "lesser" class of warriors, swords use so much metal they were expensive, but a spear just needs a tip and a strong shaft to be effective[hehehehe].

I'm all for spears and polearms, the go to OP-Weapon in every sandbox ever. Spears were typically light infantry weapons, so I would love to see some high mobility classes with extra dodges in exchange for a little lower damage, while sword wielding plate and shield wearers are tougher, slower and pack a heavier punch.

Please let us couch spears in groups at doorways.

"You shall not pass" and all that.

This is an argument I often hear, and laugh at.

Knights, every last one of them, used spears, then refined the spear to create a lance (yes, a lance is just a spear with conical shaped shield slide onto it and locked in place). They have found Viking spears in which the shaft was also metal, used by the most skilled of warriors. European knights regularly had spears in which the shaft was segments of oak and metal interlinked to make it stronger. Those 'better class' of warriors? Yeah, they loved spears as well, just made better ones.

Also, every war god in history has had spears used in their representation. The most popular ones that come to mind? Mars/Ares (Spartan phalanx anyone? Often depicted sitting on a throne holding a spear), Athena (most often shown standing with a spear in one hand, a plumed helm on her head, and a shield in her other hand with medusa on it), Odin (Viking god of war had Gungnir, a spear that never missed and could destroy entire fortresses among other things...the spear would shift to be his walking stick whenever he visited the world of man in Midguard).

What do you call it when you are at the forefront of the formation attacking an enemy? That's right...the "tip of the spear".

My biggest peeve with spear use in MMO's and fantasy game sin general...is they typically make use of greatsword or great axe animations that look rediculous. The best we have in modern times is the 'lancer' in FFO. Aion has a great set of staff fighting animations that work for half of a spear's attacks but it misses the slashing and stabbing attacks a spear is also capable of doing. That is all we have really...crappy representations of spear fighting all around. There are a few others, yes, but the animations are VERY lackluster in most the others.

"Lawful Good does not always mean Lawful Nice."

This! In ever middle age/fantasy style mmo i always want to see spears, but rarely do. Spears revolutionized combat, giving range and armor piercing. It was a way to hide behind a shield and still attack. Simply just make a one handed spear meant to be used with a shield, and a 2 handed one that you use like Oberyn Martel.

Please and Thank you!

No. as different purpose weapon (capturing) yes, but not in the spear category .(Personal preferences)

Well, I wrote a long post about why I like spears, but then I accidentally hit 'back' and now it's all gone... custard...

But yeah, I like spears, and other polearms. In fact, I'd quite enjoy a system in which you could equip a polearm as your primary weapon, either two handed or with a shield, and have a sword as a sidearm - something which was, historically, a pretty popular setup

Well, I wrote a long post about why I like spears, but then I accidentally hit 'back' and now it's all gone... custard...

But yeah, I like spears, and other polearms. In fact, I'd quite enjoy a system in which you could equip a polearm as your primary weapon, either two handed or with a shield, and have a sword as a sidearm - something which was, historically, a pretty popular setup

Hate when that happens, :)

Stances/styles, with any (applicable) weapon, would be excellent. Maybe you can one-hand a longsword, for example, OR two-hand it. And different Archetypes could use the same weapons in different ways, etc.

Edited by Lephys

Hate when that happens, :)

Stances/styles, with any (applicable) weapon, would be excellent. Maybe you can one-hand a longsword, for example, OR two-hand it. And different Archetypes could use the same weapons in different ways, etc.

They likely won't let you swap between one handed and two handed because that drives costs through the roof and the idea of the archetypes is that you get access to a certain weapons group. That's not to say you couldn't get access to a one handed sword and shield via disciplines though.

Actually, they said you can wield any weapon you have the prereqs for.

Though I do imagine that prereqs will be tied to animations they've already coded...

Edited by bairloch

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Two hands on a weapon means you spend time blocking with the weapon, if you have a spear and shield, you just block with little effort with one hand and strike with the other.

I think Oberyn used spear and shield in the book, while Macedonian Phalanx used 12 foot infantry spears.

Short two handed polearms are usually deploying more utility like a Halberd.

new-polearm-thumbs.jpg

Glad to see fellow spearmen in the community, looks like you're mainly interested in one-handed usage together with a shield? I prefer the long two-handed ones, reach and mobility together - squeeled like a fangirl whilst watching Oberyn fight in Game of Thrones with a spear.

speedpaint__oberyn_martell__the_red_vipe

Spears

"Along with the axe, knife and club it is one of the earliest and most important tools developed by early humans. As a weapon, it may be wielded with either one hand or two. It was used in virtually every conflict up until the modern era and is probably the most commonly used weapon in history." - Weir, William. 50 Weapons That Changed Warfare.

That's the weapon I've wanted to use - it also is the weapon that is hardly ever implemented in mmorpgs. Not sure why, they must have some sort of reasons, or could it just have been forgotten? I'd like to see spears in Crowfall, mainly two-handed. Wish I was a better spokesperson to get my point through .. but .. Spears?

Techniques with the weapon vary greatly (Nordic, Japanese, Chinese, etc.), as does the lenght of the weapon. Often, when bringing up the subject of spears - I have noticed that majority of people think it is solely a stabbing weapon. While spears are made for thrusting and piercing, especially nordic spears have a wider blade for cutting purposes.

For a not so realistic presentation of spear combat that surely can give some insight on possibilities of spear usage (animations, skills) in the game, I've got a little link for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=al1CpCfSEHo#t=37

The video consists of fighting clips from an animated series called "Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit".

.. before someone gets the chance to ask: Yes, I do like long hard shafts in my hand, baby.

500px-Spearman.png

My name is Arthidon and i approve of spears!

They likely won't let you swap between one handed and two handed because that drives costs through the roof and the idea of the archetypes is that you get access to a certain weapons group. That's not to say you couldn't get access to a one handed sword and shield via disciplines though.

Understandable if everyone who can wield a spear getting 7 different ways of doing it is something that's too resource-intensive to do. But, at the very least, they could have Archetype A wield the spear with two hands, and Archetype B wield it with one, etc. *shrug*. There's room between "all spear-usage is exactly the same, and neglects the variety of styles with which spears are actually used" and "everyone can wield a spear 17 different ways."

There's almost always a reasonable compromise.

Once they make the animations for a general spear (which I assume they might make 3 variants, one for 1 handed, one for two handed and one for mounted combat) they can replace the model with just about any other long pointy weapon. A trident, a pyke, an axe, it all just needs to use the same base animation of a long stick weapon.