ACE_Jackal

World-Building Pt. 1 - Official Discussion Thread

Can you tell us when this was recorded? I think some context in terms of "how far along in the world building process" would be helpful.

1 hour ago, Gradishar said:

Can you tell us when this was recorded? I think some context in terms of "how far along in the world building process" would be helpful.

This was recently. Last week, I believe.

1 hour ago, Gradishar said:

Our approach on building the procedural world generation is to go "bottoms-up"; instead of starting with the world cluster and working down, we're starting with the most atomic unit and working our way up.  This will make the game more playable as we go, and it will give us the maximum amount of time / iterations on the randomization of how-we-place-stuff-in-the-world, which is most important for the moment-to-moment experience.

That means the order is roughly:

- spawners randomized wiithin dioramas

- dioramas randomized within parcels (from a parcel deck),

- parcels randomized within the zone/continent (from a zone deck),

- cliff parcels automatically placed to wrap the parcels at the world edge (from a tile set),

- "themes" that can be applied on top of parcels (canyons + spiders, canyons + zombies, canyons + lizardmen, etc).

- randomized parcel networks (dungeons, canyons, etc)

- continents randomized within a world/cluster (from a world deck)

...while the rank information flows top down (from cluster to parcel to diorama to spawner).

To your question (where are we in the process), the 5.6 map has parcels placed by hand, with all of the elements inside them drawn from various appropriate decks, the rank information being passed down the chain as expected, cliff edges being applied automatically and the "theme" system to be able to use a base parcel (like canyons) with different prop and monster sets (spiders, zombies).  Next up is parcels-in-the-world, which is what this meeting was about.  After that we'll tackle zones-in-the-world-cluster.

(and after THAT we'll look at the history generator... eventually.)

Todd

Posted (edited)

I think this feature for Crowfall is probably one of the least talked about from you guys but seriously is a huge deal for MMO players. How many of us have played in a game, where no matter what server you played on, the geography was just cloned?

This is the really cool stuff that will only serve to reinforce the exploration roles within Crowfall. You aren't exploring a world once, and then calling it a day. Every campaign will need those explorers. Repeated over and over and over. Add in the potential for you guys to craft biome-specific game worlds (aka "a Desert World") and you've got some really special stuff for players to digest visually without becoming bored. 

I hope this system is everything it sounds like and more. Really great stuff.

Edited by Scree

25 minutes ago, Scree said:

I think this feature for Crowfall is probably one of the least talked about from you guys but seriously is a huge deal for MMO players. How many of us have played in a game, where no matter what server you played on, the geography was just cloned?

This is the really cool stuff that will only serve to reinforce the exploration roles within Crowfall. You aren't exploring a world once, and then calling it a day. Every campaign will need those explorers. Repeated over and over and over. Add in the potential for you guys to craft biome-specific game worlds (aka "a Desert World") and you've got some really special stuff for players to digest visually without becoming bored. 

I agree -- I actually think this may be one of our biggest, most unique features!  It's been a huge investment of our time and resources, getting here -- but it hasn't surfaced yet... the worlds are built out reuseable parts, but we haven't had a way to put together those parts in a streamlined fashion so the payoff is still coming. 

Hopefully we'll start to see the fruits of this effort soon!

Todd

Posted (edited)

Love these

"Professor Gringo" (11:06) (sorry, don't know his name) looked a bit like he accidentally wandered into the room, and was just so fascinated with the conversation he stuck around to watch. :rolleyes:

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

1 hour ago, Scree said:

Eh I didn't even think of the different environments.  SB had it pretty easy with one island was always ice (well big ice and little ice), one was always desert, one was chaos, then undead but if its all random they would still have to have some oversight or there might be some shenanigans.  Is there going to be water?  I'd love to see people drown like in SB.  Actually unrelated to world building, but suddenly on my mind, a world chat that announced when somebody died and to whom was a great thing.  Seeing people die to water was always hilarious. 

Posted (edited)

I don't know how to formulate that better, but i didn't expected the world generator so early. I was really thinking that crowfall will start with hand made worlds. And then starting maybe then when the first campaign starts. Specially because out of my experience hand made maps have some special love ;)
To the video i can just say thank you for sharing that with us ;) specially  seeing todd so passioned about the topic was really fun to watch.
@jtoddcoleman will roads provide us some bonuses ? otherwise making  cells just for hills is kinda time consuming or ? (most of the players will not run on way if there are no real bonuses)

Also what is about water ? to use boats for deeper water so we need only one anmation (simpler animation) and could use the mounting system. they could be avaible on diffrent spots where you only can leave and enter a boat.

Edited by DravoiX

2 hours ago, DravoiX said:

@jtoddcoleman will roads provide us some bonuses ? otherwise making  cells just for hills is kinda time consuming or ? (most of the players will not run on way if there are no real bonuses)

Also what is about water ? to use boats for deeper water so we need only one anmation (simpler animation) and could use the mounting system. they could be avaible on diffrent spots where you only can leave and enter a boat.

Still trying to figure out how to make roads worthwhile.  Ideally I want some kind of a travelling or caravan benefits (reduced stamina, increased speed, increased caravan or mount speed, etc) so that using a road is a risk/reward mechanic.

I hate water in games. It looks cool, but mechanically it's a huge (read: expensive) pain in the ass that rarely gives you enough "fun" for the effort.  Boats, on the other hand, are awesome -- but having done an entire game about piracy (Pirate101) they are an even more expensive and bigger pain in the ass.  

so: yes, we have to do something with water, but don't expect a lot before release.  I'd rather spend that time and energy on something more impactful.

Todd

I'm really liking the idea of the passes. I can already imagine groups finding some resources or something then having to get back to their base and they can either go threw the pass or take the long way around (if there is a way).Then there being another group of players set up for an ambush when they come threw the pass. People could even play as mountain bandits xD. 
Also I think it would be interesting to have some locations not have roads to them(Paths that got overgrown?). It would make it so scouts would have to go off road looking for them. And then if possible have the locations be upgradable with a road. Lets say a woodmill for example in the middle of nowhere. After being found and captured it could be upgraded with a road that would have been there in the first place. Not sure how it would be done without having to update the parcel but hey it's an idea and even without the upgradable roads it would still be cool to find xD.
Anyways great video~ 

Chokepoints are so hugely important its impossible to understate this. Roaming vast open plains is a surefire way to cause people to log off in frustration of being unable to find fights. 

Looking forward to mountain passes almost as much as I am roads and Moongate system ;)

"False roads" would also be interesting.  Road tiles that simply fade away as you go deeper into a forest, or abruptly end at the mouth of a collapsed mine or something, or even set up/used as a bait by a high end NPC critter. 

1 hour ago, jtoddcoleman said:

Boats, on the other hand, are awesome -- but having done an entire game about piracy (Pirate101) they are an even more expensive and bigger pain in the ass.  

So what you’re saying is the first expansion will be naval combat? :D Future Todd make it happen!

Sea of Thieves best open world pirate game I’ve ever played. Check it out if you get a chance.

1 hour ago, blazzen said:

So what you’re saying is the first expansion will be naval combat? :D Future Todd make it happen!

Future Todd is Best Todd. He gets to do all the cool stuff.

"cool" = impractical. Like boats.