Kcing

4K TV's v monitors

I'm updating my PC with a 1070 Ti graphic card but need a monitor to match it. I can get a 4k TV with a much larger screen size running at 120 Hz than a 2K monitor running at 144 Hz for approx the same price. Seems like a no brainier to get the 4K TV cause I would also like and need a new TV but logic and personal experience tells me something is not right. You can't rely in sales people or manufactures to  give  good advice so I would like to start a conversation where people with experience and information of such matters can inform the rest of us.
My personal reason to upgrade my graphic system is mostly for  Crowfall but I play other games such as Guild Wars, Eve and maybe Sta Citizen someday. My current 1080p 60 Hz system seems to be adequate for all my other needs.

Thanks

TVs are usually physically bigger. Some people find this a problem to put a TV on their desktop, or conversely to use a keyboard and mouse from their sofa.

Most TVs tend to ship with HDR, whereas only a few high-end monitors offer HDR. HDR is a significant improvement, for source material that supports it.  It's a bigger jump forward than 4K was, IMHO.  TVs tend to be ahead-of-the-curve with improved display technologies.  I don't know if Crowfall will support HDR or not, but rendering engines have been supporting it internally for the last 10 years or so, and tonemapping at the output to fit your non-HDR monitor.

Monitors tend to have lower input lag and response times, in response to gamers asking for that. But TVs can be fast too. Check the specs.  I'm skeptical that it makes much difference. Your human response time is around 160-190ms if you are young and spritely, and gamers that think that 4ms difference is going to help them win are just fooling themselves, buying into the marketing hype and wasting money.

In my opinion, higher refresh rates are also more about marketing and less about need. Everyone wants to have the highest numbers. Greater than about 72 Hz and you cannot tell the difference. I'm totally happy with 60Hz and 60FPS. High refresh rates are really only useful to avoid 3:2 pulldown and other framerate issues (which cause some frames to be displayed twice as long as others).

In summary, get the TV!

Because Crowfall is going to be massive multiplayer game, if you like zerging and blob fights, you will encounter issue that your video card is not able to render all models and effects on the screen with adequate fps. And unfortunately, the more pixels video card needs to render the worse fps you will have. Changing from 1080p to 4k will increase number of pixels to render by about 4 times and will significantly drop your fps. This may not help you with your choice, but it is important to keep it in mind: less pixels -> more fps.

if you get a 4k you don't need to run the game at a 4k resolution.

i use a 46" TV (about 9 years old now) with a great response of 4ms and i haven't had problems with it.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:47 AM, Kcing said:
I'm updating my PC with a 1070 Ti graphic card but need a monitor to match it. I can get a 4k TV with a much larger screen size running at 120 Hz than a 2K monitor running at 144 Hz for approx the same price. Seems like a no brainier to get the 4K TV cause I would also like and need a new TV but logic and personal experience tells me something is not right. You can't rely in sales people or manufactures to  give  good advice so I would like to start a conversation where people with experience and information of such matters can inform the rest of us.
My personal reason to upgrade my graphic system is mostly for  Crowfall but I play other games such as Guild Wars, Eve and maybe Sta Citizen someday. My current 1080p 60 Hz system seems to be adequate for all my other needs.

Thanks

Careful when purchasing TV's as a monitor. A lot of them have fake 120hz and they use it as a marketing term and its not true 120hz. 

https://www.cnet.com/news/fake-refresh-rates-is-your-tv-really-120hz/

To follow up on this. One of the biggest things to remember is latency. TVs have HORRIBLE latency. That 144 monitor probably will have 2-6ms while the 4k TV will be in the range of 20-30ms. This makes a massive difference in high action games like FPS.