Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Astronaute

Please put in place a bug/suggestion tracker

Recommended Posts

So which of you wants to spearhead this effort to start a community managed bug tracker that would help streamline the process of testing/reporting in support of the project?

I am down to collaborate on such efforts and have experience. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Astronaute said:

Great, few days ago I didn't have access to TEST. Now I'm off to test some more and provide feedback.

Cheers!

They let in based on need, in the priority above.  When they only want a few testers to smoke test, they let in a few.  When they move to more stress, a bit more.  If not enough show up for early stages, the open up to more.

So you may have access today, and at the start of 5.7 have that pulled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lightsig said:

So which of you wants to spearhead this effort to start a community managed bug tracker that would help streamline the process of testing/reporting in support of the project?

I am down to collaborate on such efforts and have experience. ;)

With trying to track the same bugs the devs have public postings on, you will have a giant black hole of bugs that devs have found, that players have not, that are in thier tracker, and never be in yours.

Sounds like an enormous time sink with little to no payoff.

So sorry no.  I've tried pushing a rope, and it's a rather fruitless task. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ACE_Jackal said:

With your Adventurer Starter Pack you got Alpha 3, which currently have access to the TEST environment! Any time we have a big, new patch we put it on TEST first with a limited number of players (starting with Pre-Alpha 1 and Pre-Alpha 2). We then add subsequent testing groups as we get an idea of the patch's stability.

Would it be possible to have some page that indicates exactly what levels have access to TEST at a given moment? Some kind of simple chart or table or such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, elowallo said:

Would it be possible to have some page that indicates exactly what levels have access to TEST at a given moment? Some kind of simple chart or table or such.

I try to keep the How to Play page updated with what testing groups are allowed in each environment, but sometimes I get a little behind on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

With trying to track the same bugs the devs have public postings on, you will have a giant black hole of bugs that devs have found, that players have not, that are in thier tracker, and never be in yours.

Sounds like an enormous time sink with little to no payoff.

So sorry no.  I've tried pushing a rope, and it's a rather fruitless task. 

If the postings are public they could be captured from the forums and migrated to a bug tracker that is more community focused and trackable status wise - there would be no blackhole if managed properly. The common ask here appears to be a summary of issues and status, something more digestible for newcommers. Just start there, not saying this has to be extremely ambitious.

Overall, if a collective of the community wanted to support testing through formal methods it would be a significant undertaking to maintain. I'm not saying it wouldn't be but it definitely would not be fruitless! If it brought more people into testing who have experience it pays off -- just my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lightsig said:

If the postings are public they could be captured from the forums and migrated to a bug tracker that is more community focused and trackable status wise - there would be no blackhole if managed properly. The common ask here appears to be a summary of issues and status, something more digestible for newcommers. Just start there, not saying this has to be extremely ambitious.

Overall, if a collective of the community wanted to support testing through formal methods it would be a significant undertaking to maintain. I'm not saying it wouldn't be but it definitely would not be fruitless! If it brought more people into testing who have experience it pays off -- just my two cents.

Knock yourself out.  Just giving you an opinion is all.  I happen to think ACE's model is already good enough. 

But if you want to take something that is 90% effective and push it to 95% or higher, more power to you. 

I was just trying to save someone sometime that could be spent in game testing, discovering things for the community,  and having fun, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. 

If it ain't broke.....

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, KrakkenSmacken said:

Knock yourself out.  Just giving you an opinion is all.  I happen to think ACE's model is already good enough. 

But if you want to take something that is 90% effective and push it to 95% or higher, more power to you. 

I was just trying to save someone sometime that could be spent in game testing, discovering things for the community,  and having fun, rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. 

If it ain't broke.....

Just made me wince a little at the thought of a forum/email system being 90% effective for bug reporting and triage:P

However, if the current structure for testing and reporting are sufficient then I agree it is not necessary. I was just offering my thoughts and support because I would personally be ecstatic to see a real bug tracker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think having an external bug system is a bad idea.  It could also help in holding ACE to account, if you are the type to cast aspersions.  However it is a huge commitment, not just setting it up, but maintaining it long after you become bored with the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lightsig said:

Just made me wince a little at the thought of a forum/email system being 90% effective for bug reporting and triage:P

However, if the current structure for testing and reporting are sufficient then I agree it is not necessary. I was just offering my thoughts and support because I would personally be ecstatic to see a real bug tracker.

Did you miss the part about how they use the forums to feed the Jira tickets?  Forums and Email are simply the reporting, not the tracking or triage mechanism.

I'm just saying maybe you should see the results of what is in operation for more than two days before deciding it needs a rework.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lightsig said:

Nope, saw it but JIRA tickets don't report status change on forums or provide any type of summary view.

Yes, JIRA does in fact provide lots of nice summary views, and yes, you can get it to post status changes on forums too.

It's just that ACE prefers to keep those to themselves, and besides: you don't need them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one is debating what Artcraft should or shouldn't expose from bug reporting. I don't have their business view but I can see plenty of issues with exposing all the bugs. My view is that of a player who would like to be helpful and prefers not to feel aimless approaching the game with a testing mentality.

I also did not imply that JIRA couldn't provide this functionality but that it simply doesn't in this instance. I use JIRA every day ;)

Apologies I was not explicit in that comment. I should have stated "on forums" at the very end of that sentence and then been specific that I was speaking of these forums.

Edited by Lightsig
English is hard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2018 at 12:32 PM, ACE_Jackal said:

Basically, if you post it on the Bug Report Thread (or see it posted there), you can trust we've seen it and it's in our system. There's also no harm at all in multiple people reporting the same bug, or reporting it again if it still exists in the next patch. Our QA folks regularly dig through the bug threads to test and create tickets from. So, basically: go into the game, test a thing, if a thing is broken post as much information as you can about it on the relevant Bug Report Thread.

As others have mentioned, managing a player-facing list of bugs, their priorities, fix versions, status, etc would be much more hassle and much more expensive than it'd be worth.

This might sound silly but I actually liked it a lot when you guys just used the "like" function on posts in the bug/feedback threads. Fast and simple way to acknowledge.

Or maybe I'm just trying to boost my forum score. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I will say is it is unfortunate that some players wont go through the effort to post bugs because they have to email or post to do it.  I can see a quick thing in game to report a big easily would maybe help...then again if it doesnt bother you enough to take the time to write it out on the forum or in an email then maybe its not that big a deal for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...