Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dolmar

crowfall or camelot unchained reach beta first?

I don't expect Crowfall will be in beta in under 2 months. So if Camelot Unchained makes that date, I think it will be in beta first.

How confident are you that Camelot Unchained will make that beta date?

IhhQKY6.gif

I'd say 40% chance .. the IT testing and increase of Alpha group testing have both ramped up in the last month or two. Their bot testing for volume on a map was interesting 

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

12 minutes ago, Jah said:

I don't expect Crowfall will be in beta in under 2 months. So if Camelot Unchained makes that date, I think it will be in beta first.

How confident are you that Camelot Unchained will make that beta date?

their "feature lock" is penned as june 12th, followed up by a beta 1 opening date of 4th of july. 

as of last week they've stated still on schedule. 

their beta will however last at least a year ["old school, bare bones"], so we certainly should have a beta vs beta point somewhere...

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

CU Beta isnt going to be persistent,  at least at first in CU, it's just going to be planned testing sequences or modules lasting hours at a time.. 

Hammers High !!  Master Brewer of the Dwarven Hold Mithril Warhammers

At this point in history "beta" is just a marketing term for the vast majority of game shops. Not so for Camelot, which means it could be in beta for  along while. Not like a comparison here really matters IMHO.

CU beta is scheduled to begin in early July. Unless they push that back significantly, they will absolutely be in beta before Crowfall. Crowfall may not even be in alpha by then, though it should be close. That said, I still think Crowfall will launch before CU. I expect CU to have a long beta whereas the alpha and beta for Crowfall should be shorter.

18 minutes ago, Yumx said:

So question is, will either of them get a boost in popularity if they launch first? 

For those interesting in both, I'd say yes.

I've backed both and don't have endless time to play a variety of games, especially games such as these that take some attention.

I gave them my money and the "better" one will get future cash and my time.

Also backed Ashes of Creation just because, but less hopeful for it.

Was actually in a pre-launch Shadowbane guild made up of some folks from EQ/UO/AC and when DAoC launched, we tried it just for something to do while we waited for SB. Unsurprisingly, most of us played for several years and only tried out SB briefly. Sometimes being 1st counts, also not being half baked out the door...

Fast forward and see how the battle royale players abandon one game after another, sometimes it's who does it more fun, not who came first, second, third...

On 08/05/2018 at 12:45 PM, APE said:

Was actually in a pre-launch Shadowbane guild made up of some folks from EQ/UO/AC and when DAoC launched, we tried it just for something to do while we waited for SB. Unsurprisingly, most of us played for several years and only tried out SB briefly. Sometimes being 1st counts, also not being half baked out the door...

Fast forward and see how the battle royale players abandon one game after another, sometimes it's who does it more fun, not who came first, second, third...

I don't think DAoC's higher success over SB was just because it came first, but also due to the fact it was a more polished and stable game when compared to SB on launch (not to say it was perfect, had its share of lag and whatnot, just when compared to launch SB it performed much better).

Shadowbane had a much more daring and interesting design concept, but DAoC delivered a more polished and stable game IMO. 

On 08/05/2018 at 1:06 PM, Helix said:

Crowfall had a way more flashy pre-alpha / alpha than CU. I'd imagine that CU's "beta" will look a lot like crowfall's current state of "pre-alpha".

From what I've read of CU's beta, I think it will be a bit farther along than CF's current pre-alpha. Not light years ahead, but it'll have more of a game loop and devs said they want to make it more of a fun experience worth playing. Whether they'll achieve that or not is anyone's guess.

Personally I was pretty disappointed at their PR, they made an announcement a week prior saying the following week they had news about the beta, then the big news was that beta was actually only gonna be coming out in July lmao (after years of the beta being delayed and they constantly telling players in the last few months it was just around the corner). God knows if it'll even come out in July. But if it does, it could be pretty cool. 

On 08/05/2018 at 5:06 PM, Helix said:

Crowfall had a way more flashy pre-alpha / alpha than CU. I'd imagine that CU's "beta" will look a lot like crowfall's current state of "pre-alpha".

i mean that tends to happen when you stay in "pre alpha" for like 2 years+ then skip through alpha and beta in a few months i guess? :P

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

10 hours ago, Rikutatis said:

I don't think DAoC's higher success over SB was just because it came first, but also due to the fact it was a more polished and stable game when compared to SB on launch (not to say it was perfect, had its share of lag and whatnot, just when compared to launch SB it performed much better).

Shadowbane had a much more daring and interesting design concept, but DAoC delivered a more polished and stable game IMO. 

Will be interesting to see how round 2 goes. As before, I like both concepts on paper and will come down to who does it better overall. Believe there is a market for both, but likely have a decent overlap of folks choosing between the two.

This time around, actually think CU has more daring concepts and features planned. CF is definately not the typical MMOs, but many features are found across other games/genres and are just put together (which is great). However, some of CU's stuff either hasn't been done or at least well and isn't just taking what worked before or in other products and updating it.

For those looking for more "sandbox," character/world connection and some unique features, CU probably will be the go to. Along with little to no cash influence. Both have a lot of work to do as things have changed quite a lot since SB/DAoC that players likely won't just put up with half baked features and promises.