Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

ACE Q&A for May - Official Discussion Thread

I did like the info on Runegates versus Portals, will be hard for the community to drop the Moon gate phrasing but we can try

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png

Really liked hearing about them thinking of more active progression models, as long as it never gets out of hand.   

The current level from 1-30 in a weekend or hard work type of thinking with more variety would certainly be welcome for people waiting for the first few passive skills to kick in.

Probably one of the better Q&A's.  Things are really coming together.

Good stuff, great things on the horizon!

One question with dungeons - you have these great expansive mountain models, couldn't you place an entire labyrinth inside them with varying entrances and then completely avoid the issue of going under the tiles but still have that dungeon crawling feel?  I could see that being procedurally generated once you have the interior volume of the mountains known.

With testing, I'll often get emails for games to do a weekend test- could you do a weekend test with a new campaign where everyone starts with X in the time bank?  

I had a great laugh with your comment about torching farms, can we get pitchforks as special weapons usable on farms to attack/defend?  I'd love a torches and pitchforks brawl!

Looking forward to the desert biome. Super cool especially with rune gates and being able to fight in different environments over the course of a campaign.

I got stuck thinking on the whole dungeon thing. Don't know if I am mistaken at some point or if this would be viable at all, but here are my thoughts and mental turnabouts.

We know you have problems when it comes to pierce the ground. More exactly, Unity has trouble handling more than one playable ground at different heights. Yet we already have an underground area currently ingame (the crypts), achieved by covering the caves with "rock objects" that generates no second playable ground.

So... Would it be possible to have a full underground adventure set through that same concept? Canyons and gorges with fake ceilings?

It might be possible, but it would look very odd from the outside. A huge rock of a mountain, where nothing grows and no one can climb.

Ok, if it looks too odd externally, don't let anyone see that part. What about runeportals to get in and out of this small world zone fully filled with covered canyon parcels?

There may still be one big bad issue. In order to fill the whole canyon roof, some of those rock objects would need to belong to two different parcels at the same time. If the objects can only be on a single parcel, that mimicked roof would have sections of open sky between parcels.

But if that zones aren't really placed anywhere that could be seen externally, maybe there might even be some way to have them under a fake stone-made sky that could muffle the spaces where there are no rocks.

8 minutes ago, Thevo said:

A huge rock of a mountain, where nothing grows and no one can climb.

You actually can climb on the rocks that are currently being used in this way.

IhhQKY6.gif

If they can go up, why not just raise the level of the ground? Essentially everything would be a "mountain", just a mostly flat mountain, and the caves would be the normal ground level. Or are there limits on how high unity will allow, so doing this would mean much smaller actual mountains?

6 hours ago, Anhrez said:

I did like the info on Runegates versus Portals, will be hard for the community to drop the Moon gate phrasing but we can try

Not for ex-Shadowbane players!:D

Great info. Love hearing about the desert biome.

As far as feedback on the dioramas, algorithms and adjustment that JTC mentioned. (at least as currently represented on test), i would prefer there were actually fewer.. IF.. there were actually Motherlodes with the five lesser nodes around it. Right now, you'll find motherlodes standing alone with no small nodes or two nodes. You'll also find two single nodes by themsleves. The highest rank you will find roaming hell's half acre is R1-R3. It seems "slapped together".

I would consider having up to rank 5 nodes moving toward the center. Have R7 around keeps/forts/poi with 8, 9, and 10 reserved for the adventure zones. As it stands now, everything is too funneled toward the adventure zones.

I apologize if I should have reserved this for test feedback, but it was mentioned in the Q&A.

Edited by Armegeddon

I enjoyed the Q&A. Good info. I’m not sure why world design has to be constrained toward higher rank resources toward the center. If there now exists an algorithm to populate a world randomly, why not let it actually be random? You may end up with higher resources in some worlds easier to harvest, or more difficult to harvest, than others, but shouldn’t there be a real benefit to those who truly take the time to explore the entire world? I thought the the hunt for resources was part of the draw of the game; if all we have to do is head for the center of the map, that kind of defeats the purpose of working at exploration. 

10 minutes ago, Adrienne said:

I enjoyed the Q&A. Good info. I’m not sure why world design has to be constrained toward higher rank resources toward the center. If there now exists an algorithm to populate a world randomly, why not let it actually be random? You may end up with higher resources in some worlds easier to harvest, or more difficult to harvest, than others, but shouldn’t there be a real benefit to those who truly take the time to explore the entire world? I thought the the hunt for resources was part of the draw of the game; if all we have to do is head for the center of the map, that kind of defeats the purpose of working at exploration. 

I'm sure the rune gates are going to make things much more interesting than just "head to the center".  

This round it's building a circle/layer system.  Next round, 3d chess.

3 hours ago, Nakawe said:

Good Q&A, BUT, still wish it was update on Frostweaver, maybe Thursday!!

No Frostweaver info this week, but I think you'll like Thursday's update anyway. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

1 hour ago, Pann said:

No Frostweaver info this week, but I think you'll like Thursday's update anyway. 

I am sure I will, I refresh these forums 20 times a day.... I am an addict and I have an addiction!!

There was this dungeon once called Karazhan, instead of a hole in the ground it was a citadel reaching to the sky. Ya don't need subterranean tunnels for good content.

If ACE decides to continue down this path  PvP demands that one earns the right to access said content, and that ownership of the POI has advantages and disadvantages in the larger conflict of the campaign world.  

I hope the sizes of continents are massive with multiple biomes so we don't have this weird situation of small tiny islands with different biomes. If the server tech doesn't allow for that with a seamless world, I hope they at least use zones ala Everquest 1 and GW2 to increase the size of them.

Edited by frozenshadow

Great stuff. Now that we are starting to see more of these system come online, I hope ACE will consider ramping up the rate and degree of experimentation they are willing to engage in for the weekly/bi-weekly campaign world runs. Things like the day/night cycle (which includes even just varying the static sun-angle), victory conditions, discipline rune drops, manufactured combat areas (think the abbatoir plateau but with bridges and it being inside the regular campaign map) as well as more boss mobs. Would basically like to see more knob-fiddling, something extremely ideal to do during these time of low testing population. This is a great opportunity that I hope ACE takes advantage of!