Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zomnivore

With the May Q&A Dungeons seem hard to do

Apparently Unity is making it hard to do dungeons, is there anyway to fudge it? Like make a mountain and hollow it out, and create like a dwarven keep or something akin to that idea?

I really like dungeons and it'd be a shame to have to wait into the far flung future for them to get worked on, if there's a reasonable work around for it.

I mean if you have to dedicate a whole parcel to just have a dungeon in it, I'm kind of ok with it. You could have like a water feature and then under that apparently empty space you'd have the bones of a dungeon.

2 hours ago, Zomnivore said:

I think dungeons are really fun PVP settings. I just hope they're worth the effort down the road.

Imagine having traps you can set up in a dungeon to fight a larger force pushing through your area and needing to take the dungeon itself in order to hold said area safely. That would be freaking cool. 

Edited by Theoval

They aren't hard if ACE makes the entrance an interface to another server, just like they do with Runegates and Portals.

Hopefully the dungeon servers would run concurrently with the source world server. Instanced dungeons are too easy for gold farmers to exploit. PvP > PvE

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

1 hour ago, chancellor said:

They aren't hard if ACE makes the entrance an interface to another server, just like they do with Runegates and Portals.

Hopefully the dungeon servers would run concurrently with the source world server. Instanced dungeons are too easy for gold farmers to exploit. PvP > PvE

You can design dungeons and put them in your procedural generated world. There are other unity games that do this on a smaller scale (Rust comes to mind). If Unity wants to become a full blown viable engine for MMO's then they will eventually add these capabilities and then companies like ACE can take advantage. This isn't a "dungeon" game so I'm really not too worried about it. If they can get it added later.. great. If they can't then I'm not going to be too upset about it.

That's kinda what they were getting in to in the Q&A The zoning tech makes it much easier to do this, but then you're looking at producing new art from a completely different workflow. The current system can literally reskin all of their proven terrain/parcel tech using different art assets (e.g. use a new set of tree models/collision primitives for "knotwood") and work up a new biome for a lot less work than basically replacing terrain with interior spaces. I'm a Unity developer myself and the way Unity treats terrain versus the way it treats mesh prefabs or BSP subtractive systems for collision are like apples and oranges.

Its not that its impossible. Its that they'd basically have to do a version of their parcel tech that used 3d interior spaces that snap to each other with some kind of socket system which would require a much larger amount of new art and code that aren't applicable to improving the existing parcel system, unlike doing new terrain based biomes and parcels that also build upon and add functionality to the existing system. Makes way more sense to wait until the parcel system has all of their desired functionality and is fleshed out with some more unique biomes before trying to do it when the main focus of the game is mass combat and exploration on open terrain rather than corridor/dungeon play.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

On 5/8/2018 at 2:38 PM, Zomnivore said:

I really like dungeons

What is it specifically about dungeons that you like? Is it the idea of one entrance/exit instead of fully open world that is the appeal?

tiPrpwh.png

I just really enjoyed Dark Soul's environment. I know its a bit hard to nail one aspect down about what makes it exciting to fight in those places, but its a really beautiful setting.

1 hour ago, miraluna said:

What is it specifically about dungeons that you like? Is it the idea of one entrance/exit instead of fully open world that is the appeal?

For me its more about fighting in extremely close quarters with a bunch of traps being likely to have around every corner, and the aesthetic of fighting IN a dungeon. 

A castle interior would be the next best thing though. :P