Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ACE_JackalBark

Days and Nights - Official Discussion Thread

Sounds like some good ideas....

(makes me think of Don't Starve abit...)

fond memories of DAOC's day/night and weather cycles too...

p.s. and previous suggestions of perhaps certain moon gates only working at night or day - or shifting their connections [or hell even a lunar cycle too?]

p.s. any planned interaction with perception and stealth systems tied to day and night? [or "tracking" and previous comments on cartography and map revealing]

*cough* @Scree

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

40 mins for the length of a day sounds awfully fast to me, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it implemented.

Vampires and Werewolves - meh.  If they're strong at night and weak during the day, then the fast day/night cycle will likely be necessary for balance issues.

The hunger shards on the ground and new skills in excavation sound alright.  Modifying weapons with DoTs and drains etc sounds good.  But you'll need more DoT removal discipline powers spread out among more disciplines (that's an ongoing concern with a lot of the discipline powers - there should be alternative means to get them, and counters to a discipline power shouldn't be in the same discipline as the power they counter).

The day/night variation on monsters is interesting, but doesn't fit well with the lore, frankly.  The hunger-version of mobs disappearing at dawn feels meh.  "Winter is coming" feels better than "night is coming for 15 mins soon"

Does this mean that 5.7 is coming with a set of new disciplines? :D

Does this mean enchanting is making a return in 5.7?

40 minutes does seem awfully fast, but if that’s just for testing then it’s fine. I personally prefer 4 hours for a full day, maybe starting with 2 hours of day and 2 hours of night, and ending with something like 45 minutes of day and 3 hours 15 minutes of night.

Does this mean hunger shards are moving from skinning mobs to mining the crystals, or will they drop from the infected models

5.7 sounds awesome, seriously can’t wait to try it out!

Hope you guys didn’t forget to put the crack in the moon :P

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Mostly what durenthal said.

40 minutes cycle with monster metamorphosis might be ok for test. Can't really imagine this in the campaigns,though. Playing several months in the same campaign and the monsters all the time changing their bodies every x minutes - strange.

It think for me it would feel better if the spawners change by a certain chance per each season. So may be in spring 5% of them would become winter spawners, 15% in summer, 50% in fall, 95% in winter. Changing both the optic of the diorama and the hunger-type of the monsters (or their chance to be this or that variation). It would also provide some variation, because it's only by a certain chance. It could also be used to link the spawn types to the current campaign result. Let's say if order is on top (who fight the hunger), it would lower the possibility for winter spawners, while if chaos rules the chance gets higher.

However, day/night/moon cycle being meaningful is a great thing. How about moonstone and moonsilver, glowing only at night, usable as components for weapons/armor/buildings? See my banner glow at night. And ... welcome to the Moonshine-Citadel! xD

2W1ZHpA.jpg

This is awesome and I really like any nod/movement back to shadowbane....was so far ahead of its time.

Please keep that in sight especially the political side. Guild nations with sub guilds and massive alliances built into the game. Player owned territory/cities in the actual campaign not just EK or some random build but in the main game/campaign with real advantage and consequences to owning/loosing it.

Why have the mob transition based on time of day when there will be a spreading frost mechanic already effecting resource nodes? Seems like a much more logical and lore following reason to have the NPCs change if you just have the frost change them too.

Most of the mobs out in the CW are spawning around a crystal currently, perhaps change that to default to a non-harvestable tree or group of trees like you currently have at the muskhog hunting grounds that changes to the current hunger crystal if the frost hits it. At which point the nearby animals start changing into the hunger variants.

Edited by KatzeWeiss
adding to the transition idea

This all sounds amazing. I love the idea of day/night cycle actually having effects! Also a big fan of the Vampire/Werewolf idea. I'm very curious to see how those will work.

I'll agree that 40 minutes doesn't sound like a lot of time for the full day/night cycle, but I expect that'll get worked out over time.

Guild Leader of Seeds of War

One thing that crossed my mind while reading, would day/night cycles impact the monster canyons or eventual dungeons (or pseudo underground areas however that becomes implemented)?  It would seem to me that these areas should be exempt from the changes to day/night or take on a modified table.  That said, they might also simply get stronger/more dangerous as the seasons progress with some "natural" monster canyons becoming hunger monster canyons.

I agree with most of the discussion above that 40 minutes seems like it might be too short, but just to play devils advocate, 15 minutes of night/25 minutes of day might feel right to keep things from going stale during a play session.  If the length of a day/night cycle becomes too long, the amount of time dedicated to night at one time might also get too long.  For a 60 minutes day for example based on the same hypothetical proportion would be 22.5 minutes of night.  80 minutes, 30 minutes of night.  

I can see a craft/harvester group bunking up for the night and focusing on crafting because of the dangers (both PvE and PvP) that grow with the night time (much like in Minecraft or 7 Days to Die or the like).  That kind of play is fun for a little while, but it gets old pretty quickly because the activities one can "safely" partake in are limited.  Making sure this downtime is not exorbitantly long is probably something to keep in mind to keep things interesting.  I should be able to wait out the night without having to go play another game for an hour.

That said, as nights get longer with winter, I can see it will force harvesters/crafts to investigate nodes to keep up with production.  The same cannot be said of Spring/Summer though because those seasons will (presumably) have longer days than nights.

Overall, very excited about dynamics in Crowfall.  Additional additives based on night, day, and time for diversifying crafting are particularly interesting to me.  Both to allow greater character customization and crafting as a profession in its own right.

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

Sounds like some good ideas....

(makes me think of Don't Starve abit...)

fond memories of DAOC's day/night and weather cycles too...

p.s. and previous suggestions of perhaps certain moon gates only working at night or day - or shifting their connections [or hell even a lunar cycle too?]

p.s. any planned interaction with perception and stealth systems tied to day and night? [or "tracking" and previous comments on cartography and map revealing]

*cough* @Scree

I'm hoping we see in general a new stealth system, the current one is boring. No hope for a redo though.  

Everything I read in this article sounds great though. Really interested in seeing how this all plays out. The depth being added with day/night is astounding. No other MMO will come close to utilizing seasons and day/night like Crowfall. I think this is perhaps one of the best ways to communicate the passing of time, without needing to be overt with it and put a timer or some other ui-gizmo up to announce it. The Crowfall world will feel alive because of this.

I didn't miss the reference to Lycanthropy/Vampirism runes. This alone, gives me hope that you guys plan on introducing some interesting disciplines versus the 2-year-old mediocrity we are still stuck with.

2 hours ago, Durenthal said:

40 mins for the length of a day sounds awfully fast to me, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it implemented.

Vampires and Werewolves - meh.  If they're strong at night and weak during the day, then the fast day/night cycle will likely be necessary for balance issues.

The hunger shards on the ground and new skills in excavation sound alright.  Modifying weapons with DoTs and drains etc sounds good.  But you'll need more DoT removal discipline powers spread out among more disciplines (that's an ongoing concern with a lot of the discipline powers - there should be alternative means to get them, and counters to a discipline power shouldn't be in the same discipline as the power they counter).

The day/night variation on monsters is interesting, but doesn't fit well with the lore, frankly.  The hunger-version of mobs disappearing at dawn feels meh.  "Winter is coming" feels better than "night is coming for 15 mins soon"

That was my feeling as well.  I personally think in testing it is fine, but in a campaign the full cycle should be closer to 4 hours, so you can plan two hours of daytime activity, or plan for 2 hours of night to stage a raid.

With seasonal swings probably as high as 50% of the alloted day/night windows, a 40 minute cycle becomes 20 minutes of day, 20 minutes of night. I the spring that would be 30 minutes of day and 10 minutes of night, with winter being 10 minutes of day and 30 minutes of night.

The window would really be too small to really plan anything as interesting as a siege around.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

40 minutes sounds particularly short, maybe its just for testing?

3 hour days sounds better, where half of it is light and the other half is night. That way you have 8 full days for each actual 24 hour period. 

Edited by Theoval

this snippet both gives me both hope and a small amount of confusion.

Hope:

The ability to add dots, drains, etc we had a sliver of that with Lifesteal back in the day with yew wood planks but there was some issue about only impacting existing skills that had life-drain. The though of being able to 'tune' bespoke created weapons (the snippet says recipes not weapons only, interesting bit of phrasing)  or items creates another level of depth to Black-smithing that we saw added into Necromancy with the change away from Sheen. 

Confusion:

Is adding an optional component to a recipe a form of Enchanting?  Or is the enchanted in the snippet just another word for crafted magical items? 

CUbgxi0.png

but to be fair I am always over reading into phrasing .... 

Edited by Anhrez

Don't forget, the one EK that no one will judge you for looting your guilds treasury is Anhrez's Doober Shack. Where you can take those long con gains and 'simplify' them to more easily fit in your inventory. While you are unloading your hard earned winnings, swing by the Bazaar and pick up something to celebrate your genius.

LR0tCJt.png